Three new 1/72 sets, Siai-Marchetti SF-260 openable canopy, de Havilland Hornet openable canopy and new engine cowling set

Ali62

Three new sets are available to order

Openable Siai-Marchetti SF-260 canopy for the Special Hobby kit

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/openable-canopy-for-siai-marchetti-sf-260

C0CA3069-AFB4-45BC-A7D8-9DE60896C5C7

Openable de Havilland Hornet canopy for the AZmodel kits

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/openable-canopy-for-de-havilland-hornet

33243A33-1987-4F2E-926E-7E7B334B6796

Engine cowling set for the de Havilland Hornet for the AZmodel kits

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/engine-cowlings-for-de-havilland-hornet

ACEA1318-7121-4FB8-B054-945FEACD5962

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/01/2021 at 11:09, Ali62 said:

Thank you for the order James.

Received to day

IMG-5276.jpg

The parts are very nice, with fine engraved panel lines. The texture from the printing is almost imperceivable and won't be noticeable under a coat of primer. The blades are very thin but flexible so don't feel prone to snapping.  There are lot of supports on the exhaust stacks, I wonder if the outer ones could have been removed if the exhaust were printed angled up? Additional bits not in photo above: "spacer for starboard cowling and two louvre panels for underwing"

Many thanks Ali, I'm a happy bunny.

Edited by JamesP
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, JamesP said:

Received to day

IMG-5276.jpg

The parts are very nice, with fine engraved panel lines. The texture from the printing is almost imperceivable and won't be noticeable under a coat of primer. The blades are very thin but flexible so don't feel prone to snapping.  There are lot of supports on the exhaust stacks, I wonder if the outer ones could have been removed if the exhaust were printed angled up? Additional bits not in photo above: "spacer for starboard cowling and two louvre panels for underwing"

Many thanks Ali, I'm a happy bunny.

Thanks James, I am glad that you are pleased. I agree the exhausts could be possibly repositioned, but with care they can be removed, best is a fine razor saw. Blades are interesting as they are quite flexible, but other times some printed parts are brittle.....I am so new to all of this 3D design and printing, so somethings still puzzle me a little.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JamesP said:

Well it's a great first effort. I presume that printing the finished pieces rather than sending masters to be cast is more economical at a small scale and that threshold is going to be constantly moving.

Thank you appreciate that comment.
Well I do some of my own casting and a friend does some, but what this offers is being able to print parts, that do not have huge flash attached. Things like the prop blades are very tricky to cast, easy to print, also I can do hollow parts like the cowling, that are tricky to do in resin casting, hollow is always better to reduce SHRINKAGE, this applies to both types of production. Although a few of us are seeing that the printed parts are prone to swell a little, all fine margins though, with many variables.

For many parts though going foreward printed is the way to go, very big parts resin cast from printed masters will probably be preferred.

• Like 3