Dragon 1/35 Sherman Firefly Ic: now with added Cromwell

Mozzy19

3 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

the turret on mine was one that did not have the small side hatch to chuck out the empty shell casings

That would be a very late fully-welded M4,  The complete elimination of the pistol port was simultaneous with the introduction of the thickened right front turret cheek in mid-43, about 4 months before the end of all-welded 75mm M4 production in favour of the Composite.  If you have no pistol port then you need the thick-cheek turret, which the Dragon 1C kit doesn't give you.  If you've used the turret patch or left the thin cheek then the pistol port needs to be restored, although they were welded up from early 43.  A thickened cheek can be added with card and filler or even using the applique patch as the basis with some filing and filling but either way it's harder work once the mantlet is fitted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sean, a PM will be on it' way to you in a couple of minutes. I've found one photo of a 1 RTR welded 1c in Arhaus, 1945. Also, in another book, I found a profile of your tank, which is a bit more detailed. Yes, I know what they say about profiles, but the details have usually been taken from a photo. Sorry, I can't just post them here in case of copyright infringement.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mozzy19 said:

Ah yes, the little Sherman’s that packed a bit of extra oomph. You must have used some pretty potent glue on those duckbills as you seem to have a complete set on that run.

That track set turned into a nightmare, they are Dragon individual links with the optional end guides, there were a set with and without duckbills, most Sherman's during the winter of 44/45 had duckbills fitted.  The Coldstream Guards were the only Regiment that fitted rockets to their Sherman's  I have photos of Firefly Ic's and Vc's and standard 75mm versions were the Mk.V.  The reason I said they were a nightmare was I used oil paint washed with artist turpentine, I should have just used white spirit because most of the track pins melted with the turpentine, so there is a lot of super glue holding those tracks together. :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Assembly of the turret is now pretty much done, just the .50 cal and antenna bases to add later. I’ve added some weld lines that appear to be missing from the kit using some plastic rod flooded with glue and then shaped with a blunt scalpel blade. I’ve also added the brackets to the turret bustle.

20210119_201630

20210119_201648

20210119_201744

Tomorrow I’ll turn my attention back to the hull.

Sean

• Like 14

On 19/01/2021 at 16:18, Das Abteilung said:

If you have no pistol port then you need the thick-cheek turret, which the Dragon 1C kit doesn't give you.  A thickened cheek can be added with card and filler or even using the applique patch as the basis with some filing and filling but either way it's harder work once the mantlet is fitted.

As the Firefly in the photo does not have a pistol port then I need to add the thickened cheek armour.  I have the Tasca/Asuka Sherman composite hulled Firefly 1c the turret comes with the thickened cheek armour.  Since the turrets are not interchangeable I can re-profile the Dragon turret using the Tasca/Asuka turret as a guide. :winkgrin:

Now that sounds very much like a plan. 

As I said, I might have started with the applique patch as it has the right general shape and fits in the same area.  Squared off at the bottom, filed down at the front, back and top to match the profile as closely as possible and finished off with filler.  But card pieces and filler would work just as well, save the patch for another kit.

• Like 1

Doing a great job Sean, and you have a straight barrel!

When I did one the barrel supplied by Dragon looked more like a banana, that was my excuse for an aftermarket metal barrel anyway!

Super job!

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Darryl. The barrel is actually slightly skewed to the left when you look at it from directly above, so guess which angle you guys won’t be seeing... :frantic:

Sean

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

As I said, I might have started with the applique patch as it has the right general shape and fits in the same area.  Squared off at the bottom, filed down at the front, back and top to match the profile as closely as possible and finished off with filler.  But card pieces and filler would work just as well, save the patch for another kit.

I had already glued the kit applique patch onto the turret so I compared the two turrets and added some extra material to the rear of the patch, I used some sprue gloop, using some Dragon waste plastic melted in glue, after a couple of days drying, being the same material it should sand down to shape without problem.:hmmm:

• Like 2

On 20/01/2021 at 20:25, Retired Bob said:

I had already glued the kit applique patch onto the turret so I compared the two turrets and added some extra material to the rear of the patch, I used some sprue gloop, using some Dragon waste plastic melted in glue, after a couple of days drying, being the same material it should sand down to shape without problem.:hmmm:

Tasca+M4A1+Turret+Cast+in+Applique.jpg

The easy way to do it is to glue on the kit supplied applique cheek armour plate and then rework from there with fillers, but it will require quite a bit of filling and shaping work because the 'welded on' cheek armour plate doesn't give the same overall shape as the 'cast in' cheek armour does, the other way is to just start from scratch with plastic card and various fillers (as above) which is still not finished, hardest part to get right is the bottom edge with regards to how it blends into the front face and how it blends out at the rear, with the bottom edge being a sharp 90 degree cut (this area might be machined after casting, not sure)

Matt

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Cerberus said:

The easy way to do it is to glue on the kit supplied applique cheek armour plate and then rework from there with fillers, but it will require quite a bit of filling and shaping work because the 'welded on' cheek armour plate doesn't give the same overall shape as the 'cast in' cheek armour does, the other way is to just start from scratch with plastic card and various fillers (as above) which is still not finished, hardest part to get right is the bottom edge with regards to how it blends into the front face and how it blends out at the rear, with the bottom edge being a sharp 90 degree cut (this area might be machined after casting, not sure)

As I had already glued the external scab armour onto my turret I have reprofiled it with  scalpel and sanding stick, some sprue gloop was used to extend the area to match the profile of the Tasca/Asuka turret (in green plastic)  The sprue gloop is still a bit soft but it is "getting there" then I can use some surfacer 500 to give it the cast finish again.

IMG_1487

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

As I had already glued the external scab armour onto my turret I have reprofiled it with  scalpel and sanding stick, some sprue gloop was used to extend the area to match the profile of the Tasca/Asuka turret (in green plastic)  The sprue gloop is still a bit soft but it is "getting there" then I can use some surfacer 500 to give it the cast finish again.

I tend to use a thick fast drying ca for filler work like this mainly because I'm impatient and can't be bothered to wait for fillers to dry, plus ca can be applied in very thin layers which is good for blending in work in some ways, and bad bad in others. it's swings n roundabouts, everyone has their own ways of doing things ;)

By 'sprue gloop' I take it you mean sprue melted in liquid poly? forming a sorta filler paste? I'm gonna add that to my modelling vocabulary :)

Matt

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cerberus said:

By 'sprue gloop' I take it you mean sprue melted in liquid poly? forming a sorta filler paste? I'm gonna add that to my modelling vocabulary :)

That's the stuff, I try and use waste plastic from the kit I'm building so that it's the same material and colour.  I've used it to fill bad fitting joints etc, when it's hard it can be sanded and re-scribed without any of the problems that you get with filler or ca having a different hardness.  It just takes several days depending how thickly it's used to dry.  I mentioned the plastic colour, I used some grey gloop I had to hand on a white plastic a/c that had some bad joints, the grey areas took several coats of white undercoat to disappear, I learnt from that, use the kit plastic and have several models being built so that drying time isn't a problem. :winkgrin: (I do use ca and talc for urgent jobs) 

I’ve been busy working on the hull today and I’ve made a fair bit of progress with it. A lot of the detail pieces have been added and the upper and lower hulls have been glued. I’ve also made a start on the Bronco tracks which are going together quite well so far.

20210123_202759

20210123_202751

20210123_202845

Sean

• Like 8

I’ve been cracking on with this since Saturday and I’ve now completed most of the assembly of the hull. I ended up using the plastic tail light guards because I managed to duff up the etch ones. One of the headlight brush guards is also a bit wonky but I think I’ll disguise that with a bit of strategic stowage placement... :whistle:

20210126_154241

20210126_154305

I also added a few dents to the front mud guards because you can’t have a Sherman looking too pristine can you? :D

Sean

• Like 11

On 26/01/2021 at 20:34, Mozzy19 said:

These goodies also arrived today. Well I had to get some in before the good folk of the Tiger super thread depleted the modelling supplies worldwide ;)

Sean

Well Sean I think we all know who's responsible for that then don't we, ehh @Andy J??

Your Firefly is looking great as do those etch front fenders. 

Great work

Darryl 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Well Sean I think we all know who's responsible for that then don't we, ehh @Andy J??

Your Firefly is looking great as do those etch front fenders. 

Great work

Darryl 

My spending has come to a temporary halt after the purchase of a new compressor and airbrush.....nice bit of kit though 🙂👍

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Andy J said:

My spending has come to a temporary halt after the purchase of a new compressor and airbrush.....nice bit of kit though 🙂👍

You say it's due to the airbrush purchase .....sure you haven't just hoovered up everything else up leaving the shelves bare? 😯😠    

😉

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

You say it's due to the airbrush purchase .....sure you haven't just hoovered up everything else up leaving the shelves bare? 😯😠    

😉

I think you may have me mixed up with someone else Darryl.....I haven't ordered anything since yesterday....well nothing major anyway 🙄 

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

😉

I think you hit the nail on the head there Darryl. Things seem to be going out of stock rather quickly on various websites nowadays :hmmm:

Sean

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mozzy19 said:

Things seem to be going out of stock rather quickly on various websites nowadays

Lockdown madness kicking in, everyone's buying hobby stuff cos there's nothing else to do, you should try buying PC gear at the moment, what a comedy show that is right now...

Matt

• Like 2