Dragon 1/35 Sherman Firefly Ic: now with added Cromwell

Mozzy19

With my previous two armour builds being a Tiger I and Tiger II. I figured I should restore some form of parity on my display shelves and build the Allies solution to the problem of the Tiger kind. It’s taken me a few hours to get this far with the suspension bogies, they’re not particularly fiddly just a lot of parts to locate and clean up.

20210112_203455

20210112_203440

This is another kit with the dreaded DS tracks, so an order has been placed with Hannants for some Bronco workable replacements along with some more decals to give me a bit of choice.

Sean

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Ah, a proper tank, and not some over engineered lump of scrap. Good luck with those tracks. They are extremely delicate.

John.

Well I figured the forums needed something to tame the tide of Tiger’s creeping in. Thanks for the heads up with the tracks, I’ll probably end up gluing the tracks together in link and length fashion.

Sean

• Like 5

The suspension bogies are now finished as well as the drive sprockets. I’ve also been adding bits and pieces to the lower hull and I couldn’t resist dry fitting the upper hull to have a little look to see if any nasty surprises await. One area I have had an issue with is how the main gun mounts into the mantlet and the orientation of the various parts with the destructions not being especially clear in that area.

20210116_201034

20210116_201102

Although as I’ve been typing this, I think I may have worked out how the gun is supposed to mount...

Sean

• Like 8

Dragon instructions aren't the best mate imo too much information crammed into a small space. If you don't mind me asking what size is your cutting mat please it looks massive in the pic's 🤔

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Dragon instructions aren't the best mate imo too much information crammed into a small space. If you don't mind me asking what size is your cutting mat please it looks massive in the pic's 🤔

It was a combination of vague instructions and vague fit, but I’ve cracked it now I think. The cutting mat is an A2 sized one so it is rather large but it’s helpful as my workbench is also the dining room table so it stops me covering the table in all sorts when I have a mishap...

Sean

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

It was a combination of vague instructions and vague fit, but I’ve cracked it now I think. The cutting mat is an A2 sized one so it is rather large but it’s helpful as my workbench is also the dining room table so it stops me covering the table in all sorts when I have a mishap...

Sean

A2 cutting mat added to my shopping list...Thanks Sean 🙂👍

• Like 2

I’ve continued on with the turret and left the hull for now. I’m not convinced the cheek armour was on the particular Firefly on the Star decals sheet, but it looks good... :D

Now I’ve got some etch to add as well as a little bit of scratch building for the brackets on the turret bin. Then it’ll be back to the hull.

20210118_211318

20210118_211311

20210118_211301

Sean

• Like 16

3 hours ago, Mozzy19 said:

I’m not convinced the cheek armour was on the particular Firefly on the Star decals sheet

Surprisingly, Firefly applique armour was variable.  I might have expected all Fireflies to have the full set added during conversion if they didn't have the thick-cheek turret, but it was not so.  The only requirements for Firefly conversion were the wider M34A1 gun mount and the Oilgear power traverse.  And no M4A1 or A2s.  You see different combinations of hull front, hull side and turret patches.  The patch was a factory fit for a few months in 43 before the thick cheek came in for a few more months until the end of 75mm production.  Otherwise it was a field fit.

One thing Dragon don't do well are the pronounced welds where the radio box joins the turret.  Does the kit give the correct WS19 antenna bases? 

• Like 2

That’s the thing I like about Sherman’s, they had that many modifications and field add ons that it’s very difficult to be wrong.

9 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

One thing Dragon don't do well are the pronounced welds where the radio box joins the turret.  Does the kit give the correct WS19 antenna bases? 

A quick browse on the web seems to indicate that Dragon did manage to give a fair representation of the antenna bases.

Sean

52 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

That’s the thing I like about Sherman’s, they had that many modifications and field add ons that it’s very difficult to be wrong.

Nice build Sean, I started a dragon Firefly Ic  some time ago after seeing a picture that I fancied re-creating.  I used the Dragon M4 with the 75mm turret and added the turret and bits from a Dragon hybrid Firefly kit and metal barrel.  Do you have a photo to work from or is from the box?  As John said those Bronco tracks are a bit fiddly, especially adding the track guide teeth.  As you mention, there are a large number of modifications applicable to Sherman's, the turret on mine was one that did not have the small side hatch to chuck out the empty shell casings.  Mine will have some AFV Club tracks, I have assembled those, just as fiddly as the Bronco ones.  I'll be watching with interest, perhaps it will get me to finish mine. :winkgrin:

IMG_1013

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Nice build Sean, I started a dragon Firefly Ic  some time ago after seeing a picture that I fancied re-creating.  I used the Dragon M4 with the 75mm turret and added the turret and bits from a Dragon hybrid Firefly kit and metal barrel.  Do you have a photo to work from or is from the box?  As John said those Bronco tracks are a bit fiddly, especially adding the track guide teeth.  As you mention, there are a large number of modifications applicable to Sherman's, the turret on mine was one that did not have the small side hatch to chuck out the empty shell casings.  Mine will have some AFV Club tracks, I have assembled those, just as fiddly as the Bronco ones.  I'll be watching with interest, perhaps it will get me to finish mine. :winkgrin:

Thanks Bob, I’m working off the profile in the decals and also the kit instructions which I know is dangerous but I don’t have any pictures to work from. Even if I hadn’t been forewarned of the pitfalls of DS tracks I’d have had to get some new ones anyway as the DS tracks in the kit have become very brittle in the packaging and snap every time they’re flexed.

Your Firefly is looking rather nice there, it doesn’t look like it’s far off getting some paint on it?

Sean

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

Thanks Bob, I’m working off the profile in the decals and also the kit instructions which I know is dangerous but I don’t have any pictures to work from. Even if I hadn’t been forewarned of the pitfalls of DS tracks I’d have had to get some new ones anyway as the DS tracks in the kit have become very brittle in the packaging and snap every time they’re flexed.

Before I knew of the problem with DS tracks I tried to fit some, they were too long and I had to take off a link or two, I then found the Bronco and AFV tracks.  The difference with them is the guide teeth on the AFV tracks push onto pins from the track pads, easier to assemble but because of the fine moulding they are very fragile, then if you want to add duckbills, just learn not to breathe on them. :nod:

31 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

Your Firefly is looking rather nice there, it doesn’t look like it’s far off getting some paint on it?

Just needs the fine details adding, the photo in the book is also on the IWM site, I was hoping there was another picture of the other side and showing the front, I've used the cast transmission cover and added the turret scab armour, as you say, so many options.  One thing I do on my Sherman's is replace or add the hatch springs, I find it makes a difference. :hmmm:

This the Tascu/Asuka hatch and moulded spring, I replace it with some fine soft wire tightly wrapped around a micro drill bit.

IMG_0810

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does your Dragon kit come with p/e light guards, they make all the difference rather than moulded plastic ones, I get Eduard ones (If they  still do them)  Here is the front of a Tasca Sherman Mk.III.

IMG_0819

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Can you post a picture from the decal sheet/kit instructions, of the tank that you are doing. Maybe I, or someone else will have a photo of that that tank.

John.

This is the Firefly I’m trying to recreate:

20210119_142700

The tracks I have are the wrong type according to those instructions, but I can live with that. Any pictures of the real thing will be greatly appreciated.

15 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Does your Dragon kit come with p/e light guards, they make all the difference rather than moulded plastic ones, I get Eduard ones (If they  still do them)  Here is the front of a Tasca Sherman Mk.III.

The kit comes with a little fret of PE with brush guards/grills etc

20210119_142942

The kit supplied springs for the hatches don’t actually look too bad but if they look naff under a coat of paint I’ve got some lead wire of various diameters knocking about so I can give your method a crack.

Sean

• Like 2

Sorry, My mistake, the Sherman experts will be looking at my last photo and going that's not a Mk.III, it's a Mk.V   This is the Tasca Mk.V with added fire power. :wicked:

IMG_0840

And the dreaded duckbills, I still need to re-do the stowage for this tank.

• Like 3

Ah yes, the little Sherman’s that packed a bit of extra oomph. You must have used some pretty potent glue on those duckbills as you seem to have a complete set on that run.

Sean

• Like 1