Dragon 1/35 Sherman Firefly Ic: now with added Cromwell

Mozzy19

The Firefly was primed the other day and was then given a spray of Tamiya TS-5 Olive drab tonight. Next will be detail painting, gloss coat, decals then I can have some fun weathering it.

20210129_202016

20210129_202036

Sean

• Like 15

54 minutes ago, diablo rsv said:

That's looking the part Sean. For me this is the stage where the real fun begins.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. I enjoy this stage because I can do what I want and I’m not having to follow instructions etc. Just a few reference photos and away I go.

Sean

• Like 2

I’ve started the weathering today as well as applying the enormous number of decals (9 in total :whistle:). I feel that the chipping is a little much at the moment but I’ll tinker with it a bit more and I’m hoping washes and dust effects etc will help bring it together. Plus I’ll be adding stowage which should tone down the worst places (ahem engine decking... 🙄).

20210130_203923

20210130_203933

20210130_203942

20210130_203950

Sean

• Like 15

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

If you can lay your hands on a bottle of Migs Allied Greed Fading, it's very good for applying to matt surfaces, to give a variation to the green tone.

John.

Is this the stuff you mean? https://www.models2u.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p2817_allied-green-fading-weathering-pigment.html

Sean

15 hours ago, Mozzy19 said:

That's the one. It's very good for achieving tonal variations on different greens. I use it a lot.

John.

So I’ve been cracking on with the weathering. A little more work is needed to blend the dust/dirt along the sides although the actual fade is a little better in the flesh compared to the photos, but a bit more work is needed nevertheless.

20210201_203638

20210201_203650

20210201_203703

20210201_203624

Sean

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Mozzy19 said:

Thanks John. Do you normally apply it before washes etc or after?

Sean

Definitely after, as washes are meant to go on when it's glossed, and these pigments are meant to go on a matt surface.

John.

I fine tuned the weathering on the hull today and then I added the suspension bogies and idler wheels. The drive sprockets and idler wheels are still loose to aid with fitting the tracks. Speaking of which, I was really not impressed by the way Bronco have the sprue attachments to the track guide teeth. The clean up required to get them to fit the tracks nicely is simply not worth it in my opinion, especially as there are 166 to do per side :shrug: So after an afternoon of browsing I’ve ordered some Rye Field Models tracks which look to be a bit more user friendly after finding the instructions online. On a positive note I also got a flat coat on tonight and to say I’m pleased with the way it looks is an understatement, this is turning out to be one of my best models to date :) 

20210202_200159

20210202_200208

20210202_200217

20210202_200232

I’ll sort out the stowage and .50 cal while I’m waiting for the tracks. I’ll also use the time to start work on a base which wasn’t part of the original plan but I think it deserves one :D

Sean

• Like 11

Hi Sean, looking really great with the matt coat.

Possibly a bit late now but AFV club do great replacement tracks of the rubber band type. I used some on mine and they are so much easier than indi link.

spacer.png

I do like a base, can I ask what you are making yours from, a deep block of foam?

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 4

Thanks Darryl. I had seen those AFV tracks but I just fancied giving the indi links a second chance but those AFV tracks are there as plan C. The block of foam is actually going to be used to create the front wall of a house with the rest based on balsa wood. I have another 5 blocks which will be used as bases in the future as they’re almost the perfect size for a small vignette.

Sean

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

Thanks Darryl. I had seen those AFV tracks but I just fancied giving the indi links a second chance but those AFV tracks are there as plan C. The block of foam is actually going to be used to create the front wall of a house with the rest based on balsa wood. I have another 5 blocks which will be used as bases in the future as they’re almost the perfect size for a small vignette.

Sean

No worrys, I saw the indi links and thought, lifes to short for this game.

I like metal tracks but plastic multipart indi links....😱

What sort of foam block is it, could see a potential use for that. 

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

No worrys, I saw the indi links and thought, lifes to short for this game.

I like metal tracks but plastic multipart indi links....😱

What sort of foam block is it, could see a potential use for that. 

Cheers 

Darryl 

The RFM ones look to be a lot more user friendly than the Bronco ones with jigs supplied and just by the way the guide horns are attached. But if they’re crap then it’s gonna be rubber band tracks for it :deadhorse:

Here are the blocks I’ve got: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00W9WVBUK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sean

1 hour ago, Mozzy19 said:

The RFM ones look to be a lot more user friendly than the Bronco ones with jigs supplied and just by the way the guide horns are attached. But if they’re crap then it’s gonna be rubber band tracks for it :deadhorse:

Here are the blocks I’ve got: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00W9WVBUK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sean

More patience than me!

Surprised John (Bullbasket) had been peddling his favourite Panda tracks for Shermans in your direction. I found the AFV club tracks tight and needed a good stretch but once on absolutely fine.

Thanks for the link, might try some of those.

Cheers 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

More patience than me!

Surprised John (Bullbasket) had been peddling his favourite Panda tracks for Shermans in your direction. I found the AFV club tracks tight and needed a good stretch but once on absolutely fine.

Thanks for the link, might try some of those.

Cheers 

Don’t give him any encouragement! He’s already persuaded me to get some Mig pigments with his personal recommendations :D

Sean

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

Don’t give him any encouragement! He’s already persuaded me to get some Mig pigments with his personal recommendations :D

Sean

Think he missed his vocation!

Have vision of @Bullbasket flogging Panda products out of a battered suit case or from an open raincoat......"psst wanna buy any....gear!😉"

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Have vision of @Bullbasket flogging Panda products out of a battered suit case or from an open raincoat......"psst wanna buy any....gear!😉"

Well I suppose he has to get the money for Sherman kits from somewhere...

Sean

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

BATTERED!!! I'll have you know that that suitcase is a Samsonite. And as for the raincoat, well that get's used for other activities.

John.

• Haha 4