New UK Shapeways import fees?

Not sure if this is the right place for this, so please move/delete if need be.

I ordered some parts in early Dec from Shapeways for delivery to the UK. They shipped on 8 Jan, arrived in the country via UPS on 10 Jan and just cleared customs today (12 Jan). The email I have now received tells me that I now owe £50 in import fees. This is an unhappy surprise, as I received another Shapeways shipment about two months ago within about 48 hours of shipping and no fee. 

Has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone know a substitute method to avoid the extra costs (other than buying my own printer)?

I haven't used Shapeways in a long time (rising prices and stagnating quality in a market where prices were falling and quality was on the rise) but I seem to remember they would print at one of a number of sites around the world depending on various factors. Maybe your previous order came from a different country, and so was handled differently by customs? That's all I can think - otherwise I'd say it sounds like you just got unlucky, as is frequently the case with customs charges.

This is to be expected, and not just with Shapeways.  I ordered some UV Resin from Anycubic (from China via Germany), in their 3 for 2 sale last November.  Unfortunately it was a very popular offer and they ran out quickly, When it does arrive, I am now expecting to be caught with customs charges which will wipe out any benefits of the offer. :(

Getting back to the Shapeways element, as mentioned; their costs keep going up but we're still getting the FDM prints, so I started printing my own - in beautifully smooth UV liquid resin.

Mike

13 hours ago, bootneck said:

I ordered some UV Resin from Anycubic (from China via Germany), in their 3 for 2 sale last November.  Unfortunately it was a very popular offer and they ran out quickly, When it does arrive, I am now expecting to be caught with customs charges which will wipe out any benefits of the offer. :(

Oh no! I've just realised I've done the exact same thing, I ordered before Christmas but I'm still waiting for it be despatched so I assume I'm going to get hit with import tax.