1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18C

Rich F

Well i thought I'd finished with this thread but I've decided to create a carrier deck to put the Hornet on, this seems as good a place as any to share it with you. This is what I've got to play with...

IMG_E1769

IMG_E1770

Since i intend to fit this into my display case i am limited by size, so first off i measured the maximum i could get away with. Next up i had a scrap bit of fibre board knocking about in the garage so I cut this down to size added a silhouette of a 1/48 hornet to make sure it would fit, yep all good. Then I marked out the tie down points..

IMG_E1771

I then decided to use a bit of scrap styrene to experiment with and see if what I had in mind would work, looks pretty good so this is what I will go with. First off I added some Tamiya tape to replicate the slightly raised strips that are see on US carriers. Next I primed it with Alclad primer then brushed on some Tamiya pavement effect texture paint this left uneven brushstrokes so dabbed it with a piece of sponge which looked better, finally finished it off with Tamiya German grey. Looks pretty good so this is what I will go with.

IMG_1776

After trying to drill a couple of mm's out ready for the Brengun tie down points, I realised fibreboard doesn't like this and was left with a fuzzy mess, time for plan B. I had an old picture frame with some acrylic transparency, this was duly cut down to size, then a quick going over with some sandpaper and the tie downs have been pilot drilled for now as I am waiting for a 4.5mm drill bit to arrive.

IMG_E1812

Next up the Alcad primer..

IMG_E1813

IMG_E1814

I will add the texture paint this weekend depending on how my body reacts to the AZ vaccine tomorrow 😬

Cheers 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit more done on the deck, texture has been brushed on and I used a 4.5mm drill bit to create a 'dish' for the Brengun PE tie downs to sit in.

IMG_1848

IMG_1849

Next up I used Tamiya german grey then a thinned coat NATO black then I masked and painted the markings...

IMG_E1854

Weathering was achieved using various greys, brown and black thinned enamels.

IMG_E1855

Just the tie downs to add, all 36 of them! I think I'm going to add a frame aswell to finish it off.

Cheers

• Like 4