2020: Not always the easy way...

Bjorn

This is my first yearbook on Britmodeller. In some ways representative for what I normally build, but in other ways a year when I had plans to build easy kits, but often chose another direction with old kits that demanded both blood, sweat, putty, sanding sticks and sometimes words not suitable for printing. But above all - it has been lots of fun! So here we go:

1. Heller Douglas DC-6B (1/72)
With Stoppel Hobby decals and lots of minor modifications. Old, rather crude kit that demanded a lot, but resulted in a huge model of an airliner classic - the first airliner to fly over the North Pole.

50827352211_24e6099348_c.jpg

2. Hobbyboss Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17F (1/48)
With Aires cockpit and a blend of aftermarket decals. A relaxing OOB build that started in 2019 but was finished in 2020.

50826602963_935423313c_c.jpg

3. Eduard Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21MF (1/48)
With Eduard photoetch. Another build started in 2019. Another East German bird, and one of the best kits I have ever built. 

50827434132_79a2be159e_b.jpg

4. Eduard Supermarine Spitfire Mk. XVI (1/48)
With Xtradecals decals. Another Eduard jewel, and a relaxing, almost therapeuthic build after a month when I struggled with Airfix 1/72 Concorde AND Heller 1/72 Boeing 707 at the same time. I hope I can finish them both in 2021.

50822317776_1c161f714b_c.jpg

5. Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk. 22 (1/48)
With a blend of decals, some from the box, others from my spares box. Although it is one of Airfix's best kits of the 90s, it was quite obvious that it is about 25 years old. But absolutely buildable although aftermarket decals was necessary.

50827355476_6478f51758_c.jpg

6. OEZ Sukhoi Su-7BKL (1/48)
With lots of patience, some scratch-building and decals from my spares box. 80s kit with crude details (which on the other hand reflects the real thing fairly good). Although it was demanding, it was fun and I am proud that I didn't give up.
50827301561_60fd15e28f_c.jpg

7. Trumpeter Sukhoi Su-15 (1/48)
With Begemot decals and scratch-built FOD covers. Another bad kit, but definitely not as fun as the old OEZ. But one must say that it is a cool aircraft!

50827747271_df3566ccba_c.jpg

8. Airfix De Havilland Mosquito PR. XVI (1/48)
With decals from my spares box. Yet another old kit  - actually the oldest one in my stash, it has been there since 2006. And yet another bad kit, a strange combination of a 70s Mossie with new parts in a different style. Canopy is a disaster, but hey! It's a Mossie!!! 

50821563408_ca1d6bdc8e_c.jpg

9. Airfix Hawker Hunter F.4 (1/48)
With Eduard seatbelts. At this time of the year, I felt it was time to build a new kit. And apart from the not so builder-friendly solution with the dogtooth that demanded lots of sanding and puttiying, this is a lovely kit of a lovely aircraft.

50827301836_6cc62e6f27_c.jpg

10. Italeri Saab JAS 39B Gripen (1/48)
With CMK cockpit, Master pitot tube and Two Bobs decals. Another struggle, but to me a kit that actually was better than its reputation. And my first 1/48 Gripen. Shame on me that it took so long!

50827416792_9805812c04_c.jpg

11-18: Heller golden oldies

The last three month of the year was spent on the Heller GB where I got completely mad and started ten old kits that had been in my stash for years. The fact that they were old was - as you might guess - not a problem to me - I was more than used to bad and old kits at this time of the year. But it was great fun and eight of them - the kits below - were finished in 2020, you'll find the result in the GB threads. 

50827780176_a5d22aa91d_c.jpg

Well, that was my 2020. Thanks for watching!

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 15

9 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Great work Björn, that SAS DC-6 is just lovely :wub: 

Don't forget there is a Nordic II GB going on later this year 😉

Thanks! Is it? Fantastic! I have missed that! A pity that I have built ten Nordic subjects in the Heller GB then... :D But trust me, I have plenty of potential subjects for such a GB in my stash, I will check it out immediatey!

3 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Thanks! Is it? Fantastic! I have missed that! A pity that I have built ten Nordic subjects in the Heller GB then... :D But trust me, I have plenty of potential subjects for such a GB in my stash, I will check it out immediatey!

It's not going on until September, so plenty of time to stock up if required! Maybe one from each of the Nordic countries 😎 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desert falcon said:

It's not going on until September, so plenty of time to stock up if required! Maybe one from each of the Nordic countries 😎 

Haha! And as you already might have seen, that is exactly my plan! :D 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...