Would a virtual show be possible?

It’s a case of fools rushing in where angels fear to tread but an unconsidered thought - has anyone thought whether a virtual show online could be possible. Models could be displayed, manufacturers announce new kits and modellers display built kits, vendors could offer on line sales etc
Probably a thousand reasons why not but head stuck above parapet to get sniped at on the million to one chance it’s not quite so daft as I suspect it probably is

• Like 1

There were several of these last year, mostly successful from what I heard but a royal pain for the judged variety.  Want-a-Fest was run on Facebook and had so many entries it took them a week longer to get them posted and voted on.  They did do a vendors area in conjunction.

There were a few others I heard of but don't have the info on right now.  Again, neat idea but a lot of work for whatever organizing team is involved.

3 hours ago, philp said:

There were several of these last year, mostly successful from what I heard but a royal pain for the judged variety.  Want-a-Fest was run on Facebook and had so many entries it took them a week longer to get them posted and voted on.  They did do a vendors area in conjunction.

There were a few others I heard of but don't have the info on right now.  Again, neat idea but a lot of work for whatever organizing team is involved.

I can imagine organising and judging competitions would be a nightmare. Perhaps just have what we do on here at BM as a ready for inspection to showcase models. If there was no competitive element some may be discouraged from posting but perhaps others might do it for the first time as they didn’t feel comfortable with the competitive side of things :shrug:

I was thinking of it being a national event so to speak so workload might get spread a bit 

Having said that it would be as much hassle (or more or less?) than organising a Telford. 

Maybe get a major sponsor to fund the IT. ?  Someone like Mr Branson and Virgin Media who might help set up the IT. They would be a good fit. 

I am going to stop posting before anymore daft ideas get me into trouble :D

• Like 1

The IPMS did an on-line show gallery last November. 

Members were to put up a few photos, no more than 3 per afair, of models they wanted to show off, especially of ones they were intending to show at SMW

About 926 photos were put up.

The gallery is still live

https://ipmsuk.org/display-smw-2020-gallery/

• Like 2

Hi

I think in these times many are looking at ways to retain some form of normality and virtual shows are something that has been tried as from the comments above. How successful they are I'm not sure this has been quantified.

Personally I think any type of  virtual event lacks one important factor, in a word......... atmosphere.

You view it in the same context as a web site and that's normally a very solitary experience. I compare it to the production of television programs, etc. Whilst all could be recorded, edited and then transmitted many shows still have  live audiences viewing the programs as they are made to give it feeling, interaction, atmosphere.

Whilst the internet is a great resource in information and communication there are just some things it cannot do and will never be a substitute for the real thing. 

Alan

Edited by alanmac
grammar
  • Like 3
On 12/01/2021 at 17:40, JohnT said:

It’s a case of fools rushing in where angels fear to tread but an unconsidered thought - has anyone thought whether a virtual show online could be possible. Models could be displayed, manufacturers announce new kits and modellers display built kits, vendors could offer on line sales etc
Probably a thousand reasons why not but head stuck above parapet to get sniped at on the million to one chance it’s not quite so daft as I suspect it probably is

Not beyond the realm of possibility. There were several virtual model railway shows last year where just such things occurred along with traders offering discount's during the event.

Feedback released to the public was that they were a success and with 'real' show's unlikely to return this year only their repeat, or not, will prove this.

10 hours ago, alanmac said:

Personally I think any type of  virtual event lacks one important factor, in a word......... atmosphere.

Along with bags, blocked Isles, under table sales, bargain hunt & joy in finding the elusive model.

• Like 2

I find forums like this offer the best of both worlds - you can ask questions and give (respectful) feedback on a model when it is presented, which would be hard to do with just a gallery format.

Unfortunately I suspect 2021 will be a write-off in terms of real shows but hopefully if the vaccine does its thing 2022 will provide a great resurgence.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Achievable, but a virtual show the size of Telford  would crash if hundreds of viewers, so would have to have good I.T  and web hosting in place. I miss the real shows for under the table bargains  and books, as well as the social side.

Edited by T-21