1/72 - North American AT-6/SNB & Harvard IIB-IV by Special Hobby (Academy plastic) - released - new boxing AT-6C/D & SNJ-3/3C

Homebee

4 hours ago, A30_737_AEW&C said:

What is an AT-6/SNB........'SNB'.............🤔..........surely they mean an early SNJ variant ?

No idea. Typo perhaps?

I'm waiting for Hannants to get this on their website so I can bang in a pre-order. 

On 1/20/2021 at 7:35 PM, A30_737_AEW&C said:

What is an AT-6/SNB........'SNB'.............🤔..........surely they mean an early SNJ variant ?

"Bueller , Bueller" ?

Looks like an 'SNB' is a US Navy designation for a Beech 18. An entirely different beast.

SNJs had a couple of different canopy styles, along with the Commonwealth Harvard variants, so it will be interesting to see what 'bag of (resin) bits' Special Hobby provides and what AT-6/T-6G predecessors will fall out of the new boxing.

SNJ-2s also had a wider centre-section for a fuel pump, or so it is said.  They certainly had a ventral bulge for it.  I admit being totally unclear on just how this additional width showed itself.  I know it is often said (not often enough?) that there's no such thing as a simple aircraft, but that's definitely true about the NA.16 family.  Which makes wonderful modelling subjects, but less attractive subjects for mass producers (if they care - they usually don't).

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

that's definitely true about the NA.16 family

I honestly can't think of a more complex and confusing family of aircraft. Worse than even Hart variants, and that's saying something. At least Hart variants only mostly had one or two different designations for each version, whereas with the NA.16 there are several ways to refer to each type, some overlapping with designations for other versions. Then you get the question of whole airframes being bought back, modified and overhauled and re-sold with new mark designations and military serials. It's a nightmare

Well, Spitfires and 109s get pretty complicated.  I suspect that when we get full accounts, I-16s and MiG.21s are going to make our eyes water.  You haven't yet seen a copy of "Consolidated Mess", a survey of B-24/Liberator noses?  There's still another volume to come...

Did I say full accounts?  We are still finding both minor and major differences in such a nice simple well-known aircraft as the Hurricane.

Yes, but they all look the same and are all painted the same colour...   OK, not quite as limiting as that, but much less variety than that shown in the earlier types mentioned.  (Ok, maybe I-16s didn't look that different either.)

PS  In truth, every aircraft built in large numbers for their time will have had much more variations than are generally assumed.  But the NA.16 family is still quite spectacular in this company.  And they don't take up much room on the shelf.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Good timing. Just unearthed the half-built Heller kit which my dad started on years ago. Comes with the Aeroclub (?) conversion for the canopy and exhaust. I think I'll still finish it despite this new release.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - North American AT-6/SNB & Harvard IIB-IV by Special Hobby (Academy plastic) - release April 2021
10 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Yikes. Maybe still in time for the GB. 

With a bit of luck yes, I was planning a double build but might hold back a bit on one of them to wait for one of these.

For some reason I had gotten it into my head that they would just do one boxing with all the options included. I hope they come out with the US version soon.

With the T-6 / Harvard used by most nations considered friendly by the US, I would expect a couple of more boxings.

A US trainer version is likely and a FAC version for the Korean conflict should be possible without too much of an effort. 

Throw in some resin armament and you get the armed versions of France, Greece, Portugal, Spain and Syria. 

And with most NATO members using the aircraft as trainers, a European boxing is likely to sell well on the continent without SH having to deal with British customs. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hsr said:

For some reason I had gotten it into my head that they would just do one boxing with all the options included. 

That would not make sense from a business point of view. 

Cheers,

Andre

7 minutes ago, Homebee said:

- ref. SH72447 - North American Harvard Mk.II/IIA/IIB "The British Commonwealth Air Training Plan"

Source: https://www.specialhobby.net/2021/03/sh72447-harvard-mkiiiiaiib-nahled.html

"We hope that your choice will satisfy you. If not, you'll have to wait for the USAAF and US Navy Texans."

Jonathan.

On 21/03/2021 at 03:32, LN-KEH said:

A US trainer version is likely

Forgive my ignorance - I find the T-6 variants a little confusing - but what is the difference between the wartime (say 1943) British and US T-6 trainers?

• Like 1