Trumpeter F117a -a mojo restorer restorer

Marklo

So we’re mete mojo restoring here as my PV Kitten pair ( over in the interceptor GB) is an antidote to the complexity of my PB31 (Also  in the interceptor GB and coincidentally also dubbed the Nighthawk ) and other projects, as an even more straightforward mojo restorer I thought I’d dust off some if the little jets I bought last year. For the GB I’m going to do an F117a, a Tomcat and an Eagle, possibly a Hornet and an Apache too.

So starting with the F117a 

resized_4f1806d6-f667-45a5-9acd-fd5d2e43 

resized_4bb0c059-1a02-4ed6-8e76-83c9769f 

Sprues. I’ve started painting the interior, more to follow. I think the challenge for this one will be making the black finish visually varied and interesting.

• Like 6

f870df63-7351-4079-8579-c80a25ea495b.jpe

01718d09-0b43-4556-bd18-3035de62d7b4.jpe
couldn’t live with the kit supplied pit ( on the left) no detail at all just a pilot, and I never build with pilots. Also toying with leaning the canopy open. So I’ve scratched a(somewhat) better pit, we’re pretty much at the limit of my fine motor skills here but there is a discernible seat, a stick and an ip :) just needs some seat belts, then it’s ready to close up the fuselage and mask the canopy. Then it’s nearly ready for paint...

• Like 2

Don't get beyond 25% complete mate - AFAIK the GB does not officially start until Jan 17th although for some reason the dates are not on the GB Header at the moment!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Ooh hadn’t realised. I’m afraid we’re way past 25% as of 10 minutes ago, but hold on if I stop here I’m ok so long as I make a meal out of the camo :)  I  do still have the Hornet, the Eagle the Apache and the Tomcat(s?) waiting in the wings too.

resized_997eb4d7-aed3-46b6-9464-14df01f7a light coat of titanium gold on the inside of the canopy.

resized_fbbf0b5c-b018-4395-a2fd-869d0a4dLots of lead shot, said 2.5G in the instructions probably at least 10g

I’ll park it here till Sunday then. I suppose I could argue that the paintwork will be at least 50% of the build and sticking the rest of the bits together 25% :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Champing at the bit here. I was in the US on an extended training trip to Pratt & Whitney from March to August 1990 ( supposed to be working on Jt8D and JT9Ds, bit owing to a marketing error most of the parts we worked on were from F100s and J52s !) so I got to see the build up to the war first hand, couldn’t get over how jingoistic the Americans were, nuke Iraq bumper stickers etc etc.

I returned home before fighting broke out but remember  the being at work the first day and the word spreading around the factory of the coalition troops entering Iraq, funnily enough I remember it started snowing that day . We were just starting up a civil engine case repair facility and the effect of the war on civil traffic nearly put us out of business. Interesting times but nothing compared to our current global crises :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

It’s Sunday yay.

resized_7556bdd2-9ea6-40e6-ac77-6615bca3Time to start sticking things together. My new pit turned out to be a bit deep and interfered with the nose gear well and both it and the lower fuselage needed a bit of trimming to fit.  The fit of the two fuselage parts while great in plan was awful In elevation, with the lower wing being about a millimetre too thick on one side giving an ugly looking joint. After much filing, fettling and fiddling they were coaxed together, hence the tape and the clamps.  At this point I noticed six ejector pin marks on the exhaust area so these had to be sanded off.

A disproportionately tricky assembly, but hopefully ok once it all sets.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

resized_537db190-10b4-4e35-a8e0-136cc814Tape and clamps off. Although the parts are pretty well flush there is a very wide gap, may fill it with ppp and rescribe. The rear section between the exhausts also needs a smidgen of filler, but otherwise good.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

resized_60c6dbcd-8919-4466-80c3-01ecce5a

resized_43adfc2a-9c23-4d4d-91ac-5a6258e4

Thought I’d throw in a pic or two of my other Nighthawk which is in progress in the interceptor GB :) The F117 is now ready for paint do more to follow soon ( I hope)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

resized_90cbe974-2333-4692-8e05-00e9fd07A thin top coat of Tamiya Dark Iron ( very dark grey not black) mixed with hull red.

Not sure if it might be a little too patchy, I’ll wait till it’s completely dry till I decide, but I can always give it another thin coat if necessary.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...