Luftwaffe F-104g Fighter Bombers

Antb

On 17/01/2021 at 08:18, Finn said:

Another option is BL-755s:

Jari

Thanks for sharing this "ancient" piece of Bundeswehr cinematics.  The BL-755 or the pods with unguided rockets are indeed interesting loadout options for a F-104G fighter-bomber. Yet, I still struggle with the German MoD`s decison to use the F-104G in a ground attack role.

Edited by Sierra Mike Sierra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/01/2021 at 18:53, Sierra Mike Sierra said:

Yet, I still struggle with the German MoD`s decison to use the F-104G in a ground attack role.

It does seem like an odd choice for that airframe.  I have to say I love the Marineflieger birds though - if I do a F-104 I'll probably pick one of them.

D

On 1/18/2021 at 7:53 PM, Sierra Mike Sierra said:

I still struggle with the German MoD`s decison to use the F-104G in a ground attack role.

It seemed to have worked sufficiently well, and also for Italy and many others  for many years!...

• Like 1

While on detachment to Decimomannu in Sardinia during the early 70's with our 17 squadron Phantoms we met up with some Luftwaffe F-104 pilots, and I do remember that during the course of the evening's conversation ( And drinking ! ) we got talking about how our respective a / c handled.

I distinctly remember them saying that the F-104 was a very stable airplane  for weapons delivery at low level, which came as quite a surprise to me.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Starfighter said:

While on detachment to Decimomannu in Sardinia during the early 70's with our 17 squadron Phantoms we met up with some Luftwaffe F-104 pilots, and I do remember that during the course of the evening's conversation ( And drinking ! ) we got talking about how our respective a / c handled.

I distinctly remember them saying that the F-104 was a very stable airplane  for weapons delivery at low level, which came as quite a surprise to me.

Maybe after the drinking it occured to them flying the F-104 was a more stable thing than walking to the dorm...  

• Haha 2