Luftwaffe F-104g Fighter Bombers

Antb

Hi folks 

My next build is going to be Kinetics 48th scale Luftwaffe F-104g. I like the tri colour Camo of a fighter bomber unit and so have decided to go with this option. 

The kit contains 2 x Aim 9 sidewinders and fuel tanks only with no provision for air to ground. I've done some digging and have seen that F104's were able to carry some air to ground munitions, including rocket pods, but haven't been able to find any images online showing these load outs. I can find loads of images with the 2 aim 9s under the belly and 4 fuel tanks. 

I'd like to model the kit with rocket pods, (i believe they carried LAU 3's?) But would like to see if there are any images showing them being carried. 

Sadly, I don't have any reference books so if anyone can help with any images or information it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance 

• Like 2

You're welcome!

As an aside, don't use the Sidewinders on any Luftwaffe JaBoG ("Jagdbombergeschwader", or "fighter bomber unit") model! These were only ever used by the JG ("Jagdgeschwader") units JG71 and JG74. 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hook said:

You're welcome!

As an aside, don't use the Sidewinders on any Luftwaffe JaBoG ("Jagdbombergeschwader", or "fighter bomber unit") model! These were only ever used by the JG ("Jagdgeschwader") units JG71 and JG74. 

Cheers,

Andre 

Thats great, thank you again! 

I might have changed my mind with that fantastic photo you posted up and go for the Marine version instead; or the other grey/ Alu version. 🙂 Not sure if you do, but do you know whether the rocket launcher in the picture you posted, is the LAU32 or LAU 68? 

I do also like the idea of the BL755 load but would need to source the carrier, or scratch one

Edited by Antb

These are LAU-32's. Yeah, those Marineflieger are real beauts! 

For some extra ship killing power, you could also load her up with Kormorans or the earlier AS.30.

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Hook said:

These are LAU-32's. Yeah, those Marineflieger are real beauts! 

For some extra ship killing power, you could also load her up with Kormorans or the earlier AS.30.

Cheers,

Andre

Andre 

Youre a star! Thank you again. 

6 minutes ago, Antb said:

Andre 

Youre a star! Thank you again. 

Always glad to talk Starfighter.  ;) 

As an aside, since you mentioned the Kinetici kit: are you aware of this bad boy?:  

https://www.dacoproducts.com/KDCC4802.php 

It is meant for the Hasegawa kit, but a lot of the weapons sprues (including AS.30, Kormoran, LAU-32's and double BL.755 carrriers) might be useful for your project. 

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hook said:

Always glad to talk Starfighter.  ;) 

As an aside, since you mentioned the Kinetici kit: are you aware of this bad boy?:  

https://www.dacoproducts.com/KDCC4802.php 

It is meant for the Hasegawa kit, but a lot of the weapons sprues (including AS.30, Kormoran, LAU-32's and double BL.755 carrriers) might be useful for your project. 

Cheers,

Andre

I came across it briefly but didn't have a proper look until you posted the link. There's certainly some serious stuff there. 

But 25 euros for the 2 sprues I want and then postage to the UK, not to mention probable customs charges, makes it very expensive. Does look nice though. 

I see the sprues have LAU3's on them, were they widely used? 

14 hours ago, Antb said:

I came across it briefly but didn't have a proper look until you posted the link. There's certainly some serious stuff there. 

But 25 euros for the 2 sprues I want and then postage to the UK, not to mention probable customs charges, makes it very expensive. Does look nice though. 

Yes, the choice is yours of course! But at least you know know of its existence. 

I see the sprues have LAU3's on them, were they widely used? 

LAU-3's were used by the Dutch (311 and 312 Squadron at Volkel) and Belgian (10 Wing / 23 and 31 Squadron at Kleine Brogel. The Germans appear to have favoured the LAU-32. 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As you are looking for F - 104 pics you should look at this website : 916-starfighter.de.  There are photos of practically every Luftwaffe and Bundesmarine a/c there, and a page with every a/c ( both single and two seater TF-104's ) Listed by code letters / numbers.  HTH:cheers:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hi. 

If you don't like the idea of DACO shipping the sprues to you, the company has a regular stand at Scale Model World Telford in November. Obviously, in the current situation, there is a big question mark over whether this year's show will actually happen or not.  

Cheers.

Chris.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Starfighter said:

As you are looking for F - 104 pics you should look at this website : 916-starfighter.de.  There are photos of practically every Luftwaffe and Bundesmarine a/c there, and a page with every a/c ( both single and two seater TF-104's ) Listed by code letters / numbers.  HTH:cheers:

This is a fantastic resource, just spent ages having a look through. There are some seriously great images there and loads of inspiration for what im after! massive thanks for sharing. 

2 hours ago, Hook said:

LAU-3's were used by the Dutch (311 and 312 Squadron at Volkel) and Belgian (10 Wing / 23 and 31 Squadron at Kleine Brogel. The Germans appear to have favoured the LAU-32. 

Thanks Andre

2 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi. 

If you don't like the idea of DACO shipping the sprues to you, the company has a regular stand at Scale Model World Telford in November. Obviously, in the current situation, there is a big question mark over whether this year's show will actually happen or not.  

Cheers.

Chris.

Thanks Chris.

Gents, 

Just want to, again, say thank you for the help you have all given. 

I have now ordered some LAU-32's and am looking forward to cracking on with the build. 

Thanks again 

• Like 1

As I understand it, the two underslung AIM-9Bs were rarely-to-never actually flown, being mostly an airshow display fit.

You can see why, with the mission-ready seeker heads being right in the wake of the nose wheel throwing up rain and dust.

Which makes me wonder why a simple mudguard wasn't fitted.

On 1/13/2021 at 12:37 PM, Starfighter said:

And, of course, here too: https://www.i-f-s.nl

of course, if you want a good weapons configuration you should be going for Norwegian with Rockeyes;)

Good luck with the build :)

Martin

2 hours ago, Reparty said:

As I understand it, the two underslung AIM-9Bs were rarely-to-never actually flown, being mostly an airshow display fit.

These were actually carried on a regular basis by our Dutch Leeuwarden based interceptors of 322 and 323 Squadron, mostly captive AIM-9B and later on J ones in peacetime but live ones for QRA and missile firing exercises. The Marineflieger units carried them often as well. 

Just don't use them on any Luftwaffe JaBoG or Dutch 306/311/312 Squadron model... 

OTOH, the larger items in most F-104S kits were never actually certified for flight by the AMI, and were consequently only loaded for static display, strange as it may seem..!

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Weren't those CF-104s?

Only some. First deliveries were 29 MAP-supplied Starfighters built for the Kongelige Norske Luftforsvaret from 1963 on (16 Lockheed-built F-104Gs, and 3 built by Canadair, as well as two Lockheed-built TF-104Gs) for service with No. 331 Skvadron at Bodo. Later in 1973, after the Candians disbanded their  Nos. 422, 427, and 430 Squadrons which lead to a lot of Candian Starfighters being deemed surplus, 18 CF-104s and 4 CF-104D's were supplied to the Luftforsvaret, enabling 334 Skv to form at Rygge. 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 1

Just to illustrate the point of how common incorrect depictions of Sidewinders on Starfighters employed in the Strike / Atttack role are, this book has a JaBoG-configured F-104G on  the cover firing one which would never ever have been fittted with Sidewinders in reality: 

https://www.scalemates.com/books/the-lockheed-f-104-starfighter-mdf-modellers-data-file-36-evans-andy--124998

Cheers,

Andre