***finished***Another 486sqn Typhoon (And friend)

Had intended to enter a different aircraft for as the NZ entry, but what with lockdown I wasn't able to acquire the kit I had in mind off the shelf,  however something else has jumped over it, a type I' muh more keen on (and an easier paint scheme).

Done plenty of Tiffies, all of them being the Airfix kit with its 4 blade prop and stabs, about time I do the Academy kit.  Didn't plan it but chosen subject is pictured here with one Airfix has chosen for the new tool Tempest.

Typhoon_IB_and_Tempest_V_486_Sqn_RNZAF_i

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Best of luck Stu, what's not to like about a Tiffy :like:

Cheers Pat 

Indeed one my favourite types, built more of the airfix kit than any other type aside from their MkI spit though haven't done one since the summer of 2019, so long over due

Edited by PhantomBigStu

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Stu just a bit curious could you tell which kit this is ? Is it Frog, Matchbox, or Airfix ? 

In exam fashion D) none of the above, its the Academy Kit. Also got another entry though not a proper one as its a diecast repaint, repainting a Sea Fury in the all blue RAAF scheme, will be working on both later 

• Thanks 1

• PhantomBigStu changed the title to Another 486sqn Typhoon (And friend)

Disvovered I'd been a wally, had a cannon barrel break off early then decided to break the of later only to not put them in the correct yogort pot, instead in the one for the bin, so had to go spares box hunting for some spitfire ones that will need to be sanded in. Also had to do quite a bit of surgury to fit a spare airfix canopy as the Academy one is way too big.  Sea fury will be decal ready a bit sooner 

51047056422_6cdcefce91_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Topside decals on save the typhoon serials given it was already late. Also didn’t touch the hurricane as the spinner is way brighter than the red on the decals so either need to paint the decal bright red to match or paint both in darker red as I don’t have an intermediary shade of red 

51175238602_c4c4662db7_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

Didn’t actually have the right decals for the beau, wish I’d known would have finished the trio by now. Will hopefully be done tommorow now, done the Matt coats, just to clean up the canopies, stick the bombs on the Typhoon and Matt them 

51188098006_e07a92966e_b.jpg

• Like 3

All done, will leave the gallery photos of the tiffie till the morning as there’s a couple of varnish touch’s ups still tacky.  Now better crack on with my Sunderland canopy’s pronto

51193282315_2b0c1c6e2f_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 4

• PhantomBigStu changed the title to ***finished***Another 486sqn Typhoon (And friend)