1/72 Academy Tempest F.6 conversion

Hi everyone!

after a dismal 2020 for building i thought id start the year by cutting into stryene! :D

Id wanted to attempt this conversion for awhile, and while its not perfect ( i had to make some concessions)...so far seems to be cooperating!

I started with cutting out some holes for the radiators in the wings - i realise the enlarged area should continue to the fuselauge, but decided to leave the wing joining edges intact for ease of wing/fuselauge alignment :)

1.jpg

I filled this with some stryene blocks:

2.jpg

Then sanded to the general shape. I created the front pieces from a half-pipe of sprue filled down:

4.jpg

the result looks a little wonkey on the left due to camera, but seems that it will work :D

5.jpg

6.jpg

Knowing my luck Airfix will release a F.6 without warning! 😅  

7.jpg

• Like 15

17 hours ago, Modelraynz said:

Knowing my luck Airfix will release a F.6

And when they do Sir, your sacrifice today shall not be forgotten! Nice work so far.

Mark.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 13/01/2021 at 12:30, dogsbody said:

Looking good!

I wonder if you could cut the intakes from a Matchbox Tempest and fit them into the wings of the Academy kit?

Chris

is an idea...i havent seen a matchbox kit in the flesh,but i wonder if it would have a thicker wing?

On 13/01/2021 at 14:53, Harry Lime said:

And when they do Sir, your sacrifice today shall not be forgotten! Nice work so far.

Mark.

hahaha cheers ;)   sure enough, a few days ago, this happned: 

1/72 - Hawker Tempest Mk.V/VI & Mk.II by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - box art - release in 2021

Anyhoo....ive been looking at how i will modify the radiator - i found some mesh, but im not sure if it is too coarse to be used in 1/72 scale, thoguhts?

8.jpg  

meanwhile, back to working on the cockpit B)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Modelraynz said:

Anyhoo....ive been looking at how i will modify the radiator - i found some mesh, but im not sure if it is too coarse to be used in 1/72 scale, thoguhts?

Great work so far Ray. May I suggest you get onto Jays Models (from NZ) and source a few sheets of their finer mesh. I modified the very old Matchbox kit a few years ago and was quite happy how it turned out. 

Cheers.. Dave 

38202285102_8929567145_b.jpg

26458966848_e4a2e4fe3c_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Alrighty, time for some updates!

ive ordered some mesh, and in a moment of stupidity i cut the radiator of its fuselauge part  id already glued together (origionally was going to be a Mk.V) without thinking i could jsut sand down the part for the new radiator grill!! 🙄

so first order was to build a new backing piece and add some mounting tabs to help with alignment

9.jpg

I also wassnt happy with the wing, so cut off the front plates, widened them all the way to the end of the wing and made new radiator grills - i think these are an improvement ( BTW if the right wing looks where it looks like the radiator is sticking out, its actually backfilled entirely with CA🤓

010.jpg

Starting to look the part now!

011.jpg

012.jpg

• Like 6

Hey folks!

still not happy, i reworking the wing AGAIN......anyone who wants to attempts this conversion i reccomend: buying the 1/72 conversion or waiting for the future kits, this ended up being a real drainer! 

13.jpg

Edited by Modelraynz

wing: DONE.

After finding some good reference pics from a temptest II ive arrived at a wing shape im happy with, it is completly smooth, but looks a bit jaggard being msotly sprue and polished CA!! 😅

heres a close up: on the left the angle of the intake is a bit sharp, but ill live with it, on the right i managed to sand the slight difference in curve between the radiator and the rest of the inner wing

17.jpg

heres a shot on my shelf ( which is a go-to for checking head-on profiles!)

18.jpg

lastly a picture with the fuselauge slotted in place - due to all the modifications i will probably need to make some supports in the wing to align the fuselauge properly!

19.jpg

Edited by Modelraynz
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looking better Ray, though it'll take some primer/paint before it can be seen properly. I admire your perseverance. :)

Steve.

good point ;)  added some primer ( and see some more issues, but will deal with later when puttying the model!)

MVIMG-20210124-141136.jpg

MVIMG-20210124-141146.jpg

MVIMG-20210124-141201.jpg

MVIMG-20210124-141219.jpg

• Like 4

I'm not sure if I'm seeing right, but the small  intake (Carb air) on the port side should be repeated on the starboard side inboard of the bigger oil cooler radiator intake, they were pretty much the same as the Mk IIs in this respect. Scroll down to the bottom of this page & you'll see what I mean & if it is there, blame my eye site. :)

Drawing

Steve.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm not sure if I'm seeing right, but the small  intake (Carb air) on the port side should be repeated on the starboard side inboard of the bigger oil cooler radiator intake, they were pretty much the same as the Mk IIs in this respect. Scroll down to the bottom of this page & you'll see what I mean & if it is there, blame my eye site. :)

Drawing

Steve.

doh! knew i missed something!

20.jpg

21.jpg

• Like 2