***Finished and RFI Posted*** VF-34; Who They Were and What They Did. The White Backed Hellcats of Green Island

mark.au

On 2/10/2021 at 2:25 AM, alt-92 said:

Came here to post this. I’ve been watching that channel for a year and a half now. If you love data and physics, that’s a good way to spend some time. 

Mark, great work on the kit, and fascinating history of the unit. Amazing they sent pilots with so little experience...

Thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2021 at 9:16 PM, Jackson Duvalier said:

Funny you should mention that.  

I'm sure there's better information out there, but this turned up easily enough.

Wow!  By coincidence, I was reading one of my Dad's aviation history magazines (I forget which, he subscribes to many) just a couple weeks ago about Hellcats in Europe.  The cover even had a great painting of a Hellcat diving to engage an He-111.

• Like 1

Mark this is terrific!  Wow, I'm gone for a couple days and Bam it's done!  Nice work and your write up about the history is top notch.  I learned a lot from it and that's what I like best about this hobby.  Great research and reasoning went into this and it shows!

• Thanks 1

Mark, awesome work. I have this scheduled in my future builds. I have the Montex masks set for my Eduard kit.

In addition, I really enjoyed your research. Over the years I have done a little research too on this same unit. There used to be a discussion in regards to the paint job at WIX (Warbird Information Exchange). I think the discussion is still there, the photos may have been deleted. One theory I had is the white paint was to trick the Japanese into thinking they were Wildcats, they used the white paint to cut down the silhouette  of the airframe so they would be more willing to fight them. Just a theory.....

And I also was thinking the same about the Hellcat marked 100, may have been the CAGs aircraft. Although I am not sure that was adopted at that time (later post war).

Again, enjoyed the entire thread. I seldom read every word. :)

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2021 at 6:38 AM, Scooby said:

In addition, I really enjoyed your research. Over the years I have done a little research too on this same unit. There used to be a discussion in regards to the paint job at WIX (Warbird Information Exchange). I think the discussion is still there, the photos may have been deleted. One theory I had is the white paint was to trick the Japanese into thinking they were Wildcats, they used the white paint to cut down the silhouette  of the airframe so they would be more willing to fight them. Just a theory.....

Pretty good theory I reckon.

Thanks for the comments gents.  The comments and likes along the way are much appreciated, as is the feedback and encouragement.  

The RFI thread is posted...

...is the piece on the main site.  I couldn't resist a last whimsy so here's a parting shot from the glamour pics session...

spacer.png

Cheers;

Mark.

• Like 2

• mark.au changed the title to ***Finished and RFI Posted*** VF-34; Who They Were and What They Did. The White Backed Hellcats of Green Island