Special Hobby Bf-109E-4, SH72439

72modeler

The new-tool 1/72 SH kit just now arrived. Before the flurry of sprue shots surfaces, here are some initial observations. When time permits, I will compare it to the other 1/72 kits, but what I see looks pretty darned good. Some features are:

• three windscreens: externally armored, unarmored, unarmored with opening for tubular sight; two hoods; very clear and thin!
  • regular and tropical air intakes
  • three spinners: rounded with nosecap, pointed with nosecap. open for engine-mounted 20mm cannon 
  • posable flaps and ailerons, which is a plus because the ailerons on the Bf-109E's drooped with flap extension- nice touch!
  • very detailed cockpit with many items  molded separately, which will make painting much easier!
  • two instrument panels: one with smooth face and the other with raised details
  • two different armored  headrests: one with curved metal section
  • external fuel tank and faired attachment- not needed for the E-4
  • posable wing slats; a first for an injected 1/72 kit, IIRC!
  • Nice DB601 engine with separate exhausts and one-piece upper cowling which can be removed to display the staggered MG17's, engine bearers, and ammunition tanks- nice touch!
  • radiators have outlet doors opened; oil cooler is a separate structure and has poseable outlet flap
  • scribing and panel lines very refined and sharp; riveting has to be seen to be believed; rib structure on fabric surfaces very subdued but visible
  • four marking choices: III/JG6, yellow 1; III/JG2, yellow 2; II/JG27, kommandeur's a/c; III/JG52, yellow 8, which cover a wide variety of schemes

Looks like the best E in 1/72 scale, in my opinion, and it appears from the sprues that E-3 and E-4/7 trop versions will be done; not sure a Bf-109T would be doable from these sprues, but there's always hope! Special Hobby has got a winner, and I hope they sell a ton and continue to release other variants! 👍 👍

Mike 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have a couple to build for later in the year but from inspection only the kit looks to be extremely good and the best E of any variety in this scale by some margin. So much so that I have cancelled my back order for the forthcoming  AZ release to keep my powder dry for later SH releases instead.

Hopefully someone is in the process of building and can report back on whether it is as good as it looks, and even if it's only half as good it will still be quite something.

Regards

Colin.

Ps. I gather they also plan to release the E-1 version which will be a first in this scale and much neglected given that a fair proportion of Emils in the BoB were of this type

• Like 1

My five came last week, the day before my Spitfires, haven’t seriously started building one (two Spitfires in progress as well) but have started cleaning parts and painting the first one. So far test fitting shows no hiccups. 👍

• Like 2

Just watched the video of the parts test fit and now even more enthusiastic about building this later this year.

The kit is clearly made to very fine tolerances so all the internals will need to be devoid of any paint on the sides that mate to the fuselage (along with the mating areas of the fuselage itself) in order to benefit from the very fine fit shown, and given the parts break down of the engine, cowlings, machine guns, flaps etc. etc. the possibilities seem almost endless. Which makes me wonder if AZ haven't missed the boat here with their own new 'Emil' kits due out soon. From their sprue shots these kits lack any obvious whistle and bells, more akin to the Airfix and Tamiya kits, and although they will be a wee bit cheaper why would you buy one instead of the new SH release?

My modelling skills are quite modest so can't wait to see what the 'experts' out there make of this kit given that it's detail is in some respects better than the old Airfix 24th scale Emil, quite amazing!

Regards

Colin.

Ps. in some respects SH/Eduard may have shot themselves in the foot as the quality of the kit almost renders any after-market PE and resin sets superfluous.

• Like 1