Blue Ridge 1/700 SS Normandie

ChrisSC

I don't agree Chris, the more real little details there are, the more the average admirer won't see, but for his eye it will contribute to a feeling of finesse of the model, He sees only one unit
, that's the secret. That's just my opinion. For this reason, the details must be taken care of and even added if possible. 

Good continuation for our greatest pleasure!

• Like 3

On 2/22/2021 at 4:36 PM, Iceman 29 said:

I don't agree Chris, the more real little details there are, the more the average admirer won't see, but for his eye it will contribute to a feeling of finesse of the model, He sees only one unit
, that's the secret. That's just my opinion. For this reason, the details must be taken care of and even added if possible. 

Good continuation for our greatest pleasure!

I guess you have a good point there Iceman. This is a 1/700 photo etch marathon. I'm seeing double, maybe even triple!

34-PE.jpg

• Like 2

Well about halfway through these railings I realized I'm putting them on upside down. I assumed the thicker rail was a top course like all the other PE railings I have seen. Turns out it should be on the bottom. Like the old saying says, never assume. I found this out when I got to a pre shaped railing in the well deck area. I am kind of just rushing through it now. This model requires a top notch skill set and experience with resin....and patience with good eyesight. I don't have enough of all three lol!!! It's a learning experience for sure in my case.

36-Railing-Error.jpg

37-Railing-Error.jpg

• Like 2

This is really coming along now and the details are making this stand out and has given me some very much needed inspiration to build something similar.

I got these kits from a very kind gentleman @stevej60 was not sure I would build them until I saw this build

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

1 hour ago, Iceman 29 said:

Good progress Chris! 👍

Maybe this project of Jim's can help you a little. Maybe you've already been through it?

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=168156

Iceman 29, thanks for the link. I actually had been searching the internet in an attempt to see if anyone had completed this model. I found that thread last night. What struck me is that he basically had to replace almost everything that came out of the box. I'm all for some modification but he just about built that from scratch lol. He commissioned quite a bit of PE to replace large areas of the model. I find it interesting that other than that fellow the only images of this model are digital renderings, including the manufacturers site. I give him all the credit in the world for having the skill, patience, and funds to replace all of that on a pretty expensive kit in its out of the box configuration. That is way beyond my abilities but a very interesting read.

46 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

This is really coming along now and the details are making this stand out and has given me some very much needed inspiration to build something similar.

I got these kits from a very kind gentleman @stevej60 was not sure I would build them until I saw this build

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

Thanks beefy. I have one of those kits, the Airfix Queen Mary 2. I'm glad you got some inspiration from this Normandie kit. Good luck with both of your projects, I hope I see them on the forum.

• Like 1

Well I'm calling this 1/700 resin Normandie done. That's about as much as I feel like doing to it. I doubt I will ever put rigging on it as it's so fragile I think a breeze would break stuff off! This was a lot harder to build than I ever thought it would be.

38-Done.jpg

39-Done.jpg

40-Done.jpg

41-Done.jpg

42-Done.jpg

43-Done.jpg

44_Done.jpg

45_Done.jpg

46_Done.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2