1/48 KI 43 Hayabusa Otaki

Good evening  and happy new year all, my first finished model of 2021 will be my first ever submission in the site.

Otaki models , despite suffering from mainly lack of details and  too shallow wheel wells, are quite good in shape and a for sure one of the first model with recessed engraving.

The model is covered with kitchen foil, the landing gear is totally scratched, the rest is more or less out of the box.

Thanks for looking and take care, as everybody I hope that this year will improve everyone's situation

Frederic

oU4Qrp.jpg

PKFjl3.jpg

oCUwZ8.jpg

wXQT1E.jpg

O2ThHV.jpg

Iciiim.jpg

ldVBFf.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Nothing replicates an NMF finish better than actual metal! I've tried this in the past - I used to use the foil in cigarette packs which you could peel off the backing and leave a useful adhesive on the foil but then a) they changed the foil or adhesive and b) I quit smoking. I've never had much success with kitchen or other foils due to adhesive problems - can I ask what you used?

Cheers

Colin

A very good Hayabusa model that you created there. The classic Otaki still has one of the most accurate outlines. A lot can be done with modelling skills and some accessories as you have proved.

On 12/01/2021 at 09:47, ckw said:

Nothing replicates an NMF finish better than actual metal! I've tried this in the past - I used to use the foil in cigarette packs which you could peel off the backing and leave a useful adhesive on the foil but then a) they changed the foil or adhesive and b) I quit smoking. I've never had much success with kitchen or other foils due to adhesive problems - can I ask what you used?

Cheers

Colin

Hello all, thanks for your comments,

Colin, for the relatively flat surfaces I used standard kitchen foil glued with micro metal foiled adhesive, for the more curved surfaces I used aluminium tape which is a little more flexible and can adapt to quite complex surfaces.

It's important to use the minimum amount of glue to prevent bumps.

I flattened the sufaces with Q tip and metal rods.

The entire surface is then brunished with steel wool before being weathered with payne gray oil.

Have a good evening

Fred

• Thanks 1

A lovely looking model Fred, :clap2:   I remember when the Otaki kits came out in the 70s, I still have some of them in the stash.  It's a pity Airfix cannot bring the mould maker out of retirement and get him to teach their present trench digger how to make beautiful fine engraved panel lines. :fight: