Jump to content

Revell HMS Illustrious (1/600)


Recommended Posts

This is a model out of my comfort zone, what was originally HMS invincible, this model was renamed and renumbered.

HMS illustrious

 

it was a build for a friend who served on board lusty (crew name) for a number of years. Safe to say I enjoyed the build, and he was more than pleased, teared up when he received it. 

HMS illustrious HMS illustrious HMS illustrious


few in progress shots...

50825843966_9f128ef75f_b.jpg 50825099053_fd0f578eee_b.jpg 50825844091_853acea4d1_b.jpg 50825844061_f23df94077_b.jpg


thanks for looking, next one is HMS intrepid ( old HMS fearless kit)

  • Like 29
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gidday again Graham, it seems you have a new comfort zone - this is very good. I think the WW2 carrier was called Lusty by her crew also, along with Vicky and Indy. I served as a reservist, mainly in patrol boats, and had a few names for them also, not so polite and usually while I was leaning over the guardrails, feeding the fish! 🤢

     I like the 1/600 scale too, although there aren't all that many available in my part of the world. Still, I've got enough to go on with. I'm looking forward to seeing your HMS Intrepid.

And I have to ask - 316? Are you named after marine-grade stainless steel?   Regards, Jeff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excellent build, and I'm sure your friend truly appreciated it.

 

However I have to correct you on the scale, the Revell kits are 1/700 scale, there is no kit in 1/600 (more's the shame as it would be the perfect complement those 1/600 Airfix Cold War warriors)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

Excellent build, and I'm sure your friend truly appreciated it.

 

However I have to correct you on the scale, the Revell kits are 1/700 scale, there is no kit in 1/600 (more's the shame as it would be the perfect complement those 1/600 Airfix Cold War warriors)

 Ant your absolutely correct, yes it’s because I’m building the old Airfix fearless at the minute, for the same friend too. 

HMS fearless

that was my confusion, my apologies

 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

A beautiful model well done 👏 

thankyou homer, was a learning curve doing all the lines on the deck

 

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday again Graham, it seems you have a new comfort zone - this is very good. I think the WW2 carrier was called Lusty by her crew also, along with Vicky and Indy. I served as a reservist, mainly in patrol boats, and had a few names for them also, not so polite and usually while I was leaning over the guardrails, feeding the fish! 🤢

     I like the 1/600 scale too, although there aren't all that many available in my part of the world. Still, I've got enough to go on with. I'm looking forward to seeing your HMS Intrepid.

And I have to ask - 316? Are you named after marine-grade stainless steel?   Regards, Jeff.

jeff, unfortunately not it was the three numbers on my reg plate on my first car, stuck with me ever since lol 😂 

 

9 hours ago, PF Naughton said:

Hi,

That looks really nice.

Pat

thankyou pat, much appreciated. 🙂

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Graham316 said:

Ant your absolutely correct, yes it’s because I’m building the old Airfix fearless at the minute, for the same friend too. .....

....that was my confusion, my apologies

 

 

No need to apologise, I actually remember Airfix magazine did an article years ago (1980ish) on scratchbuilding a waterline 1/600  HMS Invincible including plans, I started building one but then the Revell/Dragon kits came along and I scrapped it.

 

If you want to tart up  any of the old Airfix kits I can heartily recommend the etch sets from Atlantic Models, heres a link to the Fearless instructions:

 

https://atlanticmodels.net/onewebmedia/Instructions Files/Fearless600.pdf

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AntPhillips said:

 

No need to apologise, I actually remember Airfix magazine did an article years ago (1980ish) on scratchbuilding a waterline 1/600  HMS Invincible including plans, I started building one but then the Revell/Dragon kits came along and I scrapped it.

 

If you want to tart up  any of the old Airfix kits I can heartily recommend the etch sets from Atlantic Models, heres a link to the Fearless instructions:

 

https://atlanticmodels.net/onewebmedia/Instructions Files/Fearless600.pdf

Thanks ant, fortunately he wants them straight out the so it means less work for me. They do look nice though, may look at one in the future and see what I can do with one. May have to ask the wife first though 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, S. Uehlinger said:

Really Impressive - great giving it to a former Crew Member - I can understand the Emotion....

Thankyou, bought a tear to his eye, wanted to pay me more than generously, which I declined and told him it was a pleasure to give a model to someone with such sentimental value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I built 2 of the 1/350 Scale version, I wish I could put up photos, but this laptop wont allow me to, one Kit I bought, and the other was given to me by Airfix, it was after I used Airfix clear varnish, and it ruined the deck of the Dreadnought I was building at the time, it was take it or leave it, as it was the only 1/350 scale Airfix had to give, and so, one is painted and with Decals as Lusty, and the other I finished it off with Decals for HMS Invincible 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Awesome model that was my first ship I served on it for 18 months then went onto type 42s. Used to walk past the Fearless and Intrepid when leaving the ship both were in the Easter Basin the whole time I was in the RN they're possibly still there now no idea though. Anyway nice to see a model of my first ship I was going to get the 1/350 illustrious but I don't think Airfix make it anymore I'd like to get that an a 1/350 HMS York as well but I've only seen 1/700 models of that one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Deano353 said:

Awesome model that was my first ship I served on it for 18 months then went onto type 42s. Used to walk past the Fearless and Intrepid when leaving the ship both were in the Easter Basin the whole time I was in the RN they're possibly still there now no idea though. Anyway nice to see a model of my first ship I was going to get the 1/350 illustrious but I don't think Airfix make it anymore I'd like to get that an a 1/350 HMS York as well but I've only seen 1/700 models of that one. 

Fearless and Intrepid were both scrapped sometime ago. Sale for scrap was delayed due to both vessels containing asbestos and demolition had to comply with strict regulations.

.

Edited by Whitewolf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Whitewolf said:

Fearless and Intrepid were both scrapped sometime ago. Sale for scrap was delayed due to both vessels containing asbestos and demolition had to comply with strict regulations.

.

Ah I see i just looked it up didn't realise it was decommissioned in 2002 I joined in 2000 which explains its presence in Portsmouth dockyard while I was there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/01/2021 at 10:29, AntPhillips said:

Excellent build, and I'm sure your friend truly appreciated it.

 

However I have to correct you on the scale, the Revell kits are 1/700 scale, there is no kit in 1/600 (more's the shame as it would be the perfect complement those 1/600 Airfix Cold War warriors)

 

I'm so glad you said that as I was just about to start flicking through t'internet to find a 1/600 Lusty!

 

On 12/01/2021 at 11:12, Graham316 said:

 Ant your absolutely correct, yes it’s because I’m building the old Airfix fearless at the minute, for the same friend too. 

 

 

May I ask at what period in her life are you representing her?  The FEARLESS kit is as she was at build in the early 1960s and there were an awful lot of changes made both to her and INTREPID over the next 35 years or so.  I converted FEARLESS to INTREPID to represent her as she was in 1981 when I was on board and it involved a lot of scratch building!

 

On 20/06/2021 at 09:27, Deano353 said:

Awesome model that was my first ship I served on it for 18 months then went onto type 42s. Used to walk past the Fearless and Intrepid when leaving the ship both were in the Easter Basin the whole time I was in the RN they're possibly still there now no idea though. Anyway nice to see a model of my first ship I was going to get the 1/350 illustrious but I don't think Airfix make it anymore I'd like to get that an a 1/350 HMS York as well but I've only seen 1/700 models of that one. 

 

Sadly you're right on the 1/350 Batch III T42s.  Atlantic Models do a nice batch I/II but I wouldn't fancy stretching a resin hull!

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

 I converted FEARLESS to INTREPID to represent her as she was in 1981 when I was on board and it involved a lot of scratch building!

 

HMS Intrepid, off Norway 1981

spacer.png

 

Mike

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Great model, seeing this takes me back to the days of my callow youth as an MoD apprentice doing work experience in dockyards round the country. In 1981 I found myself at Swan Hunter Shipyard at Wallsend, where Illustrious was being fitted out. Spent a very interesting week on board!

 

I could kick myself for not getting one of the Airfix 1:350 scale kits when I had the chance a few years ago :(

 

Good times though, thanks for the memories :thumbsup2:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/07/2021 at 14:35, bootneck said:

 

HMS Intrepid, off Norway 1981

 

Great photo Mike.  It's a real shame that I cant find any of the photos I took onboard during the first deployment that year to somewhat sunnier climes in the Caribbean.

 

21 hours ago, clive_t said:

In 1981 I found myself at Swan Hunter Shipyard at Wallsend, where Illustrious was being fitted out. Spent a very interesting week on board!

 

And I equally don't have any photos of Lusty in build.  But I do have this one taken in Oct 83 of ARK fitting out at Swans.  Little did I know at the time that almost 12 months later to the day after this photo was taken, I would be taking ARK down the Tyne as OOW1 for her contractors' sea trials.

 

51338452567_0f2e239230_b.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We used to get all over the ship and I was able to take some unusual views, mainly from the top of the mast!

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

 

spacer.png

 

John Nott pays a visit.

spacer.png

 

note the wooden grating on the signal decks.

spacer.png

 

Area behind the LCVP deck,  not often exposed like this and plenty of detail to see.

spacer.png

 

from the stern.

spacer.png

 

and in the funnel!!

spacer.png

 

 

Mike

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...