++Renault FT-17 Metaltracks Voyager vs Friul++

supersonic

Good evening all,

does someone has used the Friul or Voyager Metaltracks with the Meng Ft-17 kit and could tell something about fitting and if it's worth the extra money?

Concerning the Friul i'm not sure if they would fit the Meng kit at all since there are no further info's on the Friul homepage for what kit/Brand they are designed.

Cheers

Hans

Moved.  I got Fruil tracks for my ancient (was it RPM?) build of the FT-17, and they were a piece of cake to use :yes:

spacer.png

If you mis-post in the wrong area again we'll kill you, just Report the thread and ask for it to be moved to XXXX sub-forum :)

Thanks Mike, Great looking FT-17, makes sense that they worked great since the Friuls are originally designed for the RPM model, but that's why 

i'm bit skeptical that they will fit the Meng since it's a different animal.

IMHO there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the Meng plastic tracks.  I even got a spare set to fit on my HobbyBoss CA1.  Sure they need a swipe with a sanding stick or blade to remove the mould line, but that's just normal.  They clip together in minutes.  They don't have any casting numbers but not all FT tracks did.

The greatest issue with the Voyager tracks is the incredibly fiddly construction.  Each link has 9 or 10 parts, some absolutely tiny.  Probably very fragile once built and I suspect you'll lose some of the small parts during painting because of the small glueing area.  You may also lose your sanity..............  The second greatest issue is that FT tracks were one-piece castings with soft edges and corners and quite chunky spuds/grousers.  The Voyager parts, being etched, are thin, flat and square-edged.  They just won't look right.  Good luck filing a round edge and rounded corners on every link face and thickening the spud/grouser on each!  The moulded plastic parts certainly better represent a casting: I can't speak for white metal links but it seems obvious that they should look like castings.

If it were me I would - and did - stick with the kit's plastic tracks (but did add casting numbers) and save yourself enough £/$/€ to buy another kit.

spacer.png spacer.png

• 9 months later...