White metal truck identification needed please

bootneck

Hi all,

I have had this kit for decades from when I used to build to 1:72 and 1:76 scales; however, I have lost the box and instructions.  Does anyone recognise the kit and know where I could get a set of instructions for this?

spacer.png

The only clues I have is that it might be a Bedford and it has the name "Parks Coal" on the headboard.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 2

Possibly a Langley white metal, they covered quite a range of vehicles and looking at the cab and the cab back plate, I would defo say its a Bedford O from the grill . . .

OO Scale 1:76 Model Vehicles (langleymodels.co.uk)

Springside had only a very small range of 4mm vehicles  . . .

3 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Do you really think you need instructions? :wink:

There's lots of little pieces and, not being a vehicle modeller, I'm not certain where everything will go.  I only dug it out, from VERY deep in the stash, as I want to measure it to make a 1:144 scale version; as that is now my true scale.

Thanks for all the suggestions on the producer, that link to Springside is good as it shows the kit to be 1:76 scale; therefore I can do the measuring correctly, thanks Rich.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 2

Mick Bell's site has a plan for a similar Bedford O series, as used by the British Army from the late 1930s.

http://mickbellplans.com/2020/04/16/bedford-ol-os-truck-3-4-ton-157-inch-wheelbase/

It might be useful, and a bit more accurate than the venerable Springside moulds.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Heather, that plan is probably nearer to what I want.  I did have an idea to get hold of more of these 1:72 and 1:76 kits, just for the measuring, but I would then be left with stuff I don't build; plus the expense of getting them.  One query though, having just looked at the plan, it says that it is 1:76 scale but doesn't have a reference ruler or scale.  Any idea what size I should print the page at, to get that scale?

Cheers,
Mike

20 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Any idea what size I should print the page at, to get that scale?

There's a link to the full size image on each page entry. I understand printing that at 100% will be correct for 1/76 scale. Of course, if you’re able to do the maffs (I’m hopeless here) you could print to your preferred scale.

I wish I’d known about the Mick Bell site a long time ago. Do you remember I helped you with trying to work out scale for a Leyland Hippo refueller? There’s several drawings on that site of exactly what you wanted! 

It looks like one of the Lead Sled metal kits I bought back in the late 80's. These were all RAF equipment, bomb trolleys, a Fordson tractor and a couple vehicles.

50825725126_40cff9ff13_b.jpg

This is the only one I ever put together.

50825725131_10c8008619_b.jpg

Chris

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

you remember I helped you with trying to work out scale for a Leyland Hippo refueller? There’s several drawings on that site of exactly what you wanted! 

Yes, I remember that and it was/is being done as a scratchbuild with plasticard or suchlike.   This time, I am trying to do something with CAD.  I've been dabbling in this dark art for about 10 weeks on and off, so I'm still very much an amateur; however, with the correct dimensions, I think I could get a decent model out of the plan.  It is the referred scale on the plan (as in 'print on A4 paper') that is causing me an issue though.  I printed the plan off at A4 scale and then measured it.  There is a clue in this Bedford OL plan in that it gives the wheelbase as 157 inches but that isn't the case in all the plans.  I seem to remember that the wheelbase is measured from the centre of the front axle to the centre of the rear axle and this is where I get into difficulties.

My maffs says that 157 inches equals 13.083 mm which, in turn, equates to 52.472mm at 1:76 scale.  The wheelbase on the A4 printed sheet measures 47mm, therefore out by over 5mm.  Checking the plan again, I can make out a faint edge, outside of the thick black surround on the plan, that leads me to think the pages have been scanned beyond the page boundary.  I corrected that by cropping the page down to those faint edges and it then printed out at 51mm, which is near enough for me, but I wonder how many others have printed those plans out at A4 without checking those edges.

Obviously, this is only my limited understanding of these plans; I do wish people would put a six or ten foot graticule scale on plans as that would remain constant whatever size the plans were printed.  Has anyone else printed and checked that the plans do come out exactly to scale, I could do with some confidence in what I've written above; especially for those plans that don't give a wheelbase size.

Thanks again for the link Heather, there are some 'must do' vehicles there and I hope to have a bash at them sometime, if I can confirm the dimensions.

In the meantime, here is something that I prepared earlier:

spacer.png

I've taken the measurements for this mostly from the kit in the Airfix Recovery Set.  Still lots to do; however, it feels much more satisfying than putting plasters on my fingers, where I've slipped with the modelling knife!

cheers,

Mike

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mike

If you have any books on military vehicles such as Mike Coniford *, Bellona or Van de Bart, usually certain specs are given. I then take said plan and tell the operator at the Copy Shop that I want the wheelbase to measure 52mm (Whatever) and they do the maths . . . 

This is what I did when scaling up to 1/35th with the AEC Petrol bowser as I knew the wheel base  . . .

Just a thought 

Ian

* I have all ten booklets if you need a measure  . . .

• Thanks 1

Hello Ian,

no, I don't have any books on vehicles, I am a ships and aircraft enthusiast, so I come to the experts on here for help. I do try to reciprocate if anyone asks for advice on ship measurements etc.

I've found some plans online, and Heather helped sourcing Mike Bell plans, but most don't have any scale references with them.  The notations says that they are 1:76 scale but as they are scannned copies it isn't obvious if those have been printed exactly to the size of the plan, so they cannot be trusted as such.   I did find a couple that quoted the wheelbase so was able to scale those, I do have the facility to resize and print at home, but I do need the basic reference first.  If I had bought the books when in print, then I would be sure that they were 1:76 scale but I'm not going to start collecting them just for that.

I am hoping to find a site that will give me either the full dimensions i.e. length overall or, as I've recently found out the meaning of a wheelbase, where to find the wheelbase dimensions.

Vehicle modelling is fairly new to me and I am enjoying trying to work out what goes where, thanks to the help from fellow BM'rs.  What I do still find to be a problem is what the chassis looks like, as I would need to fit the body onto them when building.

Cheers,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

just to show that I don't just keep asking questions, which I am grateful for the helpful answers, but I also attempt to build stuff from any plans I get.  I received a scan of a Queen Mary trailer plan a while back, from an Airfix Magazine, and have just managed to finish drawing this. The observant viewers will note that I had done two tailgates:  one upright and the other lowered, to give me a choice setting for my dioramas.

I haven't learned how to make tyre treads yet. :rage:

spacer.png

The prime mover looks to be a little more challenging but I shall endeavour to get on with that now.  As to the trailer, I shall try to print it when there's a warm enough day.  The resin doesn't work too well below the recommended 20deg C (where do they think we are, southern Spain?) but I have managed the odd print of other stuff at 17deg.

cheers,

Mike