1/32nd Spad from Trumpeter, circa 1954

This is my second Spad build.  The first was a Navy Spad circa 1964 in grey and white.  

The HVAR rockets are from Eduard's brasin range.  I had to buy two boxes which left me with 4 spare rockets.  A bit cheesed off about the PE shipped with them as they only provide enough brass to do 6 of the 8 rockets in each box which is irritating to say the least.  Guns are from that lo that do the  brass guns whose name I clearly cant remember or be bothered to dig out and the pilot is PJ Productions.  The prop is the new Barracuda prop and its stunning - got mine from the states and got stung by customs and excise on import duty - the swines. Everything else is out of the box.  Paint is the new MRP rage which is stunning.

Anyway here it is.  Now full time on the Wokka.  

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spads

Spads

The build for both are on the ARRSE modelling thread

Edited by simmerit
Missed piccies
  • Like 27

3 hours ago, SAT69 said:

That's very impressive work! What is the kit like to build?

It's a very easy build and it goes together very straightforwardly.  Dont go for an Aires cockpit - use the supplier kit cockpit.  It's perfectly acceptable.  I fitted the Aires cockpit to my first Spad and it was an absolute nightmare as the fuselage wouldn't join properly.  There is zero benefit to using resin aftermarket for this plane.

The ordnance that comes with the kit is OK but the HVAR rockets supplied with the kit were designed by someone who had drunk 18 bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale before sitting down to do the drawings.  Dont even cut them off the spruce.  Bin 'em.

You can do a lot with the engine and Eduard etch for it with a bit of effort.  My engines are on a par with the ZM kit engine - probably better.  I was very pleased with the way the engines turned out. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John_W said:

Very nice. You don't see many Skyraiders in Navy Blue.

I dont think many people model the post WW2 Spads.  They switched to grey and white for Ops in about 1958 but the navy blue older models were used for pilot training until the mid 60s before being retired