Rusty 1978 Dodge D100 pickup truck

Hi All,

This is my take on the MPC 1/25 1978 Dodge D100 pickup truck.  It was built to represent an old rusty, beat up truck you'd see here in Northern Michigan, complete with a load of firewood (winters are long here in the northern hemisphere).  The model was basically built out of box primarily as a study in weathering.  The only deviation from the kit was the addition of the balsa front bumper with photoetch washers and bolt heads, and radio antenna.  The finish was achieved using a combination of the salt method, chipping fluids, and the sponge technique for rust and chipping effects.  The main colors for the cab and bed are cheap Hobby Lobby craft paints that were heavily thinned and applied with an airbrush (also wanted that 70's vibe in regards to the color). The rest of the weathering is washes, filters, and pigments.  The firewood load is various sections of Woodland Scenics 'Dead Tree Fall' logs, cut to the appropriate size.  Thanks for  looking.

Cheers,

Albert

50814188941_553b6e2460_b.jpg

50814189271_a8a7667116_b.jpg

50814292147_ba57ba4641_b.jpg

50814190901_10d6214e44_b.jpg

50814292792_e86c26bb0e_b.jpg

50814294007_5eb84d20eb_b.jpg

50814293492_13d80584ee_b.jpg

50814294177_b6b3d5f317_b.jpg

50813441673_c840a5b9aa_b.jpg

50814190406_ce88dfe1c0_b.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

"..........a study in weathering." ? ? ?

I'd say you've achieved a master class in the result of your build ! Totally spot on, as I look out of my window at my old ute, as we from Oz call them, and observe the self same "ageing process" as reflected in your model.

Excellent !

Rog

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If this was your study in weathering I'd say you've passed with flying colours 🙂 ... Excellent job, really convincing. I love these workhorse vehicles, in fact I'm putting one of these on my wishlist now! The wooden front bumper is awesome, never saw that before. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WOWZER!!

:yahoo:

Yep, Winter is harsh in those parts on people and vehicles.

:wicked:

Sir you nailed  the rustiness with the weathering looking exactly what you'd see on one of those workhorse  Dodge Pickups !

:clap:

SPECTACULAR  workmanship. 

SUPERB build.

:wow:     :mike:

• Thanks 1

Excellent modelling, really good rust effects. Liked a lot the detail of the weighed seat cushion due to the chain. Really good attention to the details.

Question, what did you use to simulate the headlights glass?.

Please, keep them coming.

• Thanks 1

That truck's more than restorable after $1000 worth of new sheet metal just to start. Need to to make a Chevy now with the swiss cheese sheet metal of the 70s-early 80s. I'm not far from you and yes this is how these old trucks look, sometimes worse but they keep going.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jfgred1 said:

Excellent modelling, really good rust effects. Liked a lot the detail of the weighed seat cushion due to the chain. Really good attention to the details.

Question, what did you use to simulate the headlights glass?.

Please, keep them coming.

Thanks guys!

The headlight lenses were hit with a wash, then a couple of coats of Tamiya Smoke was applied with a brush (which makes the chrome stand out a bit more, which is the effect I was going for to make the bezels pop, so to speak). After that, Future Floor Wax was built up for the final lense effect. 

Cheers, 

Albert

• Like 1