RAAF Airfix Brewster F2A-1 Buffalo ##Finished##

Ladies and Gentlemen 

Many years ago I bought the VJ Day set off EvilBay very cheaply as it had lost its posh box and paints. I had quite forgotten all about it till I went looking for something appropriate for this GB.

IMG_5512

This is the one I'm building 

IMG_5514

Brewster B-339E Buffalo Mk.I

Royal Australian Air Force 

453 Sqn. TD-V/WR243
December 1941 - Sembawang 

And remarkably for me the parts are still sealed in the bag so I haven't had a chance to lose anything yet !

Cheers Pat

• Like 20

Will be good to see this being built Pat. I’ve built and got the Matchbox Buffalo and do believe this little Airfix rendition builds up nicely as well. 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

I've probably mentioned it before, but this is probably the very first kit I can remember seeing in  a shop. I've since built it twice. IIRC, the main issues are those pesky rivets, and canopy framing that is very tricky to paint freehand ...

• Like 1

So time to start, first a picture of the parts

IMG_5552

IMG_5553

This kit is from the era when Airfix plastic was very soft. The prop has been mangled in the bag.

IMG_5554

One page of instructions 

IMG_5555

Cockpit interior and wheel wells are noted as being painted in H151, now discontinued, what Humbrol or Revell substitute can I use ? Or is that jazzy green I used in my B17 interior ? 

IMG_5556

And yes I am using a glass of Jura to hold the page down for the photo !

Cheers Pat

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Cockpit interior and wheel wells are noted as being painted in H151, now discontinued, what Humbrol or Revell substitute can I use

Hi Pat,

Depending on how accurate (or pedantic) you want to be, the RAF Buffaloes

were purchased and built to British Specs including paint. So no US Interior Green

US manufactured British Cockpit colours were not a direct copy, but close enough

to the British Specs. if you were to paint the cockpit either Humbrol 78 or

even a Humbrol 90 you would be in the ball park

Have a look at this  former RNZAF Hudson colours (built to British Spec) Close enough to Hu 78 I think

HudsonWreck.jpg

(Photo Used Per Permissions of NR Mines)

The Buffalo seat is Aluminium with Sutton Harness

The only issue for you (re your bent Propeller), is that it appears your Kit has the US Navy F2A-2 Propeller.

The RAF Buffaloes had a 10 foot uncuffed Propeller per Photo Below - Again depends on how you want

to build your model 😀

PR7117.t5e4eddd1.m600.xmeSyXb2q.jpg

(RNZAF Official - RNZAF Museum - Used with Permissions)

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Hudson internal colour image @LDSModeller, I didn’t know US manufacturers tried to replicate British internal colours as well. I know this whole topic can get quite contentious as most references I’ve come across indicate that US internal colours would apply to these exported aircraft. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I didn’t know US manufacturers tried to replicate British internal colours as well. I know this whole topic can get quite contentious as most references I’ve come across indicate that US internal colours would apply to these exported aircraft.

Hi Dave,

Some US Colours were agreed upon for use in US Manufactured British aircraft, but those were more in

places like the wheel wells/Structural areas etc.

To date I have seen 2 former RNZAF Curtiss P40E-1's with a Cockpit colour that is not Curtiss Yellow Green or

US Interior Green. The actual colour is more like this DuPont  Blue Green Chip below (DuPont 71 036)

DUPONTLIGHT+GREEN+71036_.jpg

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 3

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

any ideas on where I can get the correct prop or could the existing one be modified  ?

Hi Pat,

The RAF version was Hamilton Standard 10" prop, so in 1/72 that's

42.3mm in diameter.

If you can find a similar replacement, that size?

Alternatively you could judiciously remove the cuffs off the kit prop,

following the blades curves down?

Not much help there I'm sorry

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

any ideas on where I can get the correct prop

Pat, what about from a disused Matchbox kit? Might be able to source one through the ‘wants’ section on here. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry Pat, I may have got this one wrong. I’ve just checked my Matchbox kit and it also has cuffed blades. I’m sure these can be sanded down to create an uncuffed version, however you might just be better off modifying the Airfix kit parts. My apologies, I had assumed Matchbox got this right? 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Some progress

IMG_5580

In the background bombs in blutack Firefly Mk5 in KUTA GB, next to it cockpit of Bücker Bü133 Jungmeister Heller Classic GB !

IMG_5581

Does anyone know what part number 13 is and should it be fitted to my Australian Buffalo ?

Wanted Section has failed to produce a prop so I have started to modify the existing one

IMG_5582

Finally, we are getting there

Cheers Pat

• Like 7

Ok looks like its in the USNavy aircraft shown here.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:F2A_Thach_accident_USS_Saratoga_(CV-3)_1940.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

But looking at these two RAF Commonwealth use. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:RAF_F2A_Buffalo.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Brewster_Model_339_Buffalo.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

so Im guessing it is a life raft as its not in the British commonwealth aircraft

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Does anyone know what part number 13 is and should it be fitted to my Australian Buffalo ?

Hi Pat,

It's a Life Raft container for US Buffaloes.

Not Found on RAF/Commonwealth 339E's

322108e3-7699-4a59-adc8-480d1180c208.jpg

(Photo used for Illustration only)

Regards

Alan

PS I see Dennis beat me to it 👍

• Thanks 1

Coming together nicely Pat. I’m not sure if the Airfix kit comes with the choice of two tail wheels, however if it’s just the small USN type, then try sourcing a larger tailwheel from the spares box. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Coming together nicely Pat. I’m not sure if the Airfix kit comes with the choice of two tail wheels, however if it’s just the small USN type, then try sourcing a larger tailwheel from the spares box. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave

It comes with both, but no guidence on which to use, so it's the larger one I want ?

cheers Pat

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

It comes with both, but no guidence on which to use, so it's the larger one I want ?

Hi Pat,

If you look at the Buffalo Photo I posted above, it shows the tail wheel and will

give you some idea?

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1