RNZAF Airfix Douglas SBD-3 Dauntless ##Finished##

Ladies and Gentlemen 

Many years ago I bought the VJ Day set off EvilBay very cheaply as it had lost its posh box and paints. I had quite forgotten all about it till I went looking for something appropriate for this GB.

IMG_5512

This is the one I'm building 

IMG_5513

Douglas SBD-3 Dauntless

Royal New Zealand Air Force 

25 Sqn. NZ5005

And remarkably for me the parts are still sealed in the bag so I haven't had a chance to lose anything yet !

Cheers Pat

• Like 13

• 5 weeks later...

Blooming heck Dennis, how did you ever talk me into building this one !

IMG_5623

As you can see I've started drilling, it's an awful lot of holes !

IMG_5624

Looks like flak damage from the inside 

IMG_5625

So this is what I'm aiming for

More later when the feeling returns to my finger tips :violin:

Cheers Pat

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Sorry pat. I think id drill them out and run some red paint in the holes then spray the rest of the camouflage. Don't know if I’d attempt to open the split flap up. Though just by drilling will improve this 110%

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Oh yes, looking forward to following this one, the SBD is one of my favourites.  Some years ago I built “Paddy’s Mistake” form 25 Sqd. and it’s still one of my favourites.

Edited by mark.au
  • Like 1

On 11/01/2021 at 01:48, JOCKNEY said:

Many years ago I bought the VJ Day set off EvilBay very cheaply as it had lost its posh box and paints. I had quite forgotten all about it till I went looking for something appropriate for this GB.

IMG_5512

Great choice of aircraft, Pat, I've never built one but saw plenty in the original film 'Battle of Midway' which has got me inspired.

That looks like a great Airfix 'Gift Set' to have - I immediately thought 'I must get one of those' but maybe not just yet....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airfix-VJ-Day-Commemorative-Limited-Edition-08672-1-72-9-Model-Set-RARE/333853406843?hash=item4dbb36b67b:g:I4IAAOSwOKNf-1dt

From all the useful tips you're getting (all interesting info), it looks like you cannot avoid adding extra detail to this old Airfix kit. Best of luck. Mike.

• Like 1

Finally stopped drilling holes then opened up the flaps / dive brakes, not sure about the correct angle so have gone for "it looks right" approach !

IMG_5630

IMG_5631

Finally started painting the interior, it's going to need a second coat 

IMG_5632

cheers Pat

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking very good Pat, I did this with an old Monogram 1/48 kit back in the 80’s. My modeling mentor was shocked that I took the time to drill out the holes but impressed. 

Thanks Dennis, I can imagine much the same response from people looking at mine but, it's nice to try something different. 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Those flaps look great 👍

I can see why you had all the "Sheila's" chasing you with small talk like that !  :whistle:

Thanks Greg, apologies I couldn't resist it :giggle:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 3

So having stopped drilling all those holes time for some paint 

IMG_5634

As you can see, I've painted the crew and interior 

IMG_5637

Having opened the flaps / dive brakes this is going to leave the underside looking directly up into the cockpit floor, so using some scrap food packaging, a floor is ready to go in.

IMG_5638

Wings on and thanks to the blooming great gap, only fixed at the front. I ran a bit of CA into the gap, but filling definitely required.

IMG_5639

Filler on

IMG_5640

First coat of Blue / Grey upper

IMG_5641

Finally bombs in the buff

IMG_5642

Should these have colours bands on them ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 7

Trial fitting of the canopy reveals a shocker !

IMG_5643

MIND THE GAP !

Having had a look at this over a least a couple of cups of coffee, I'll need to build up the sides of the fuselage to reach the canopy, otherwise the canopy won't line up. Off to the scrap plastic pile.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks Dennis, I looked at that but the canopy ended up too low compared to the windscreen / windshield  

Therefore I have added a small strip of plastic to each side to align the canopy with the top of the windscreen / windshield.

Having looked again at that great photo of the flap / divebreaks you gave me, it occurs to me the rear canopy must fold back into the aircraft behind the rear gunner, if that's the case rather than discard the part as Airfix suggest, I'm going to try and get it to fit in behind the rear gunner.

Yes I know, I can see people shaking their heads but, lifes too short not to try these things, plus I promised myself having never built a RNZAF aircraft before I was determined to do it justice. 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 3

Looking good Pat,.... considering the amount of effort that you have put in already with all of that drilling etc,...... the kit canopy is rubbish and rathe than going t more work to support this tat,..... why not look out for an after market canopy? I built this kit many moons ago and always felt the canopy made the finished model look rubbish. You could even seperate the windscreen,.... then use flat clear plastic piece, cut to size,. rounded off at the top using the kit parts as a former (maybe using the heat from a hair dryer?) and then attach them inside each other in the cente section behind the pilot, like the real thing was with the canopies open,.... it would look much better 

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 3