RNZAF Airfix Douglas SBD-3 Dauntless ##Finished##

I used scrap plastic card to build the gaps up, between the canopy and the rest of the fuselage, then realised it needs filling to try and even out the profile. This is the current work in progress

IMG_5644

IMG_5645

Hopefully when this drys out, it's won't look quite so bad !

cheers Pat

• Like 7

Time for an update, the Dauntless reappeared from beneath the filler and painted, along with the walk strips which unfortunately had a few masking issues.

IMG_5647

IMG_5648

Decals next, plus another canopy clean up, from filler dust.

Cheers Pat

• Like 5

Brave man adding the aerial before the decals, I’d be guaranteed to break it during the decal application handling!

AW

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Ok, forgive the poor lighting, but I'm calling this one done

Hi Pat,

Just saw this, Wow- Well done :thumbsup:

I think it captures the look very very well

Thanks/regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Pat,

Just saw this, Wow- Well done :thumbsup:

I think it captures the look very very well

Thanks/regards

Alan

Thanks very much Alan

I hope I've done the aircraft and the RNZAF justice, this build being my very first from your lovely part of our planet  :phew:

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

• JOCKNEY changed the title to RNZAF Airfix Douglas SBD-3 Dauntless ##Finished##
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi I’ve got this kit on my bench at the moment. I was going to use it at as a practice kit to hone my scratch building and chipping / weathering skills.....but I love the aircraft so I’ve pulled it apart to get serious with it so this is a really useful post thank you!

i’m doing it in USN colours - do you happen to know what colour the aircraft was primed in before getting its combat colour scheme?

Hi I’ve got this kit on my bench at the moment. I was going to use it at as a practice kit to hone my scratch building and chipping / weathering skills.....but I love the aircraft so I’ve pulled it apart to get serious with it so this is a really useful post thank you!

i’m doing it in USN colours - do you happen to know what colour the aircraft was primed in before getting its combat colour scheme?

• Like 1