De Havilland DH.82a Tiger Moth

Good evening and a belated Happy New Year to all BMer's - hope everyone is safe and well :bye:

After being totally distracted with Christmas and everything that's going on in the world at the moment I've finally managed to get back to the bench to try and get my head down and get some modelling done.  I was conscious that I still need to get cracking with my Wellington build as well as my I-16 - hopefully make some progress with these and update you all very soon.

As we're now starting another year afresh, I thought I'd take the opportunity to take stock of what I have on the go and what I really should get finished.  I have 8 kits in total that are at various stages of completion as well as more coming in to the stash as we speak (kit buying should be a registered condition I'm sure)!!!!

What caught my eye was a tiny red shape towards the back of the shelf and I remembered I'd completed the Airfix 1/72 Tiger Moth ages ago - well, until it was about 95% complete and then forgot about it.  So I thought in the New Year spirit this should be the first kit to be freed from the shelf of doom.

All that was required was a couple of little jobs like sorting out the canopy screens, tidying up the struts and then giving it a flat coat with a tiny bit of weathering.  I did deliberate quite a bit about whether or not to try and add some rigging but the kit is so small and delicate that I felt I'd probably end up ruining the effect altogether with blobs of super glue trying to hold tiny threads in place - so no rigging it is.

So here she is - now resting comfortably in my cabinet - on the other side of the room from the shelf of doom!!  Hope you like :thumbsup:

Kris

DSC00673

DSC00678

DSC00676

DSC00672

DSC00670

DSC00669

DSC00668

DSC00667

DSC00666

DSC00665

DSC00664

DSC00662

Edited by planecrazee
  • Like 36

Nicely done,.... it looks lovely and you got further than I did,.... the struts on both of mine snapped while I was rigging them and they are on the shelf of doom now! 

Cheers

Tony

3 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Nicely done,.... it looks lovely and you got further than I did,.... the struts on both of mine snapped while I was rigging them and they are on the shelf of doom now! 

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony - really appreciate your comments. :thumbsup:  Sorry to hear about that happening to your model.  That's why I was reluctant to rig her even though I wanted to because I was just worried I'd end up with a disaster on my hands.  Do you think your model is recoverable?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tonyot said:

the struts on both of mine snapped while I was rigging them

Mine snapped just taking them off the sprue! However, I fixed them, and completed the rigging with stretched silver sprue - the advantage being that this method puts no stress on the airframe tensioning the rigging. You can find them here if interested......

Go on, have a go at the rigging. You know you want to.....

Edited by alancmlaird
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

Thanks Tony - really appreciate your comments. :thumbsup:  Sorry to hear about that happening to your model.  That's why I was reluctant to rig her even though I wanted to because I was just worried I'd end up with a disaster on my hands.  Do you think your model is recoverable?

Hiya mate,.... no worry`s,.... its a beauty. Mine,.... well I suppose I could finish them both if I used new struts,.... mine were really hard to repair and have scar tissue like a broken bone where the super glue bulges out and if I sand them smooth the break gives way! I ended up building the subjects, RN & RAAF in 1/48th instead!  

49 minutes ago, alancmlaird said:

Mine snapped just taking them off the sprue! However, I fixed them, and completed the rigging with stretched silver sprue - the advantage being that this method puts no stress on the airframe tensioning the rigging. You can find them here if interested......

Go on, have a go at the rigging. You know you want to.....

Just had a look at your builds and they're stunning Alan. I know - I really would have liked to have a go at the rigging but didn't want to make a pigs ear of it. When using the stretch sprue technique - how did you work out your lengths and what did you glue them with? 

Kris

44 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks very nice, love this scheme,  just got decals for a similar scheme for one if my Airfix 48th scale kits  great job on this. 

Chris

Thanks for your feedback Chris - I'll have to lookout for your 1/48 version👍

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Hiya mate,.... no worry`s,.... its a beauty. Mine,.... well I suppose I could finish them both if I used new struts,.... mine were really hard to repair and have scar tissue like a broken bone where the super glue bulges out and if I sand them smooth the break gives way! I ended up building the subjects, RN & RAAF in 1/48th instead!  

Thanks Tony. That's a shame because you're right - sometimes things just can't be repaired in a way you can get away with or are happy with. Have you built the 1/48 versions Tony? I'll have to have a look. 

Kris

• Like 1

That's a pretty little model. Very nicely done Kris.

Just a thought about the kit. Shouldn't the slats be moulded extended as most models are depicted on the ground? They are spring driven and pushed in by the airflow, as the airflow decreases the springs overcome the push from the airflow and they automatically extend. consequently they are always out when the aircraft is stationary. Praps they should have been supplied separately.

Pete

39 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

how did you work out your lengths and what did you glue them with? 

Kris

I first stetch some 'waste' sprue - the grey or coloured sprue that's no use for rigging. Don't worry about the thickness or even-ness, this is just as a template for the actual piece.

I used to use a pair of school dividers to measure the gap, but they were too difficult to fit into tight spaces accurately. So now I just cut a bit of this 'spare' stuff bigger than the diagonal i need, then trima bit off till it fits the space - transferring the dimension to the silver or clear stretch sprue you intend to actually use. Not as time-consuming as it sounds - once you get your 'eye' in you'll find yourself cutting within a couple of mm first time! Then, dip each end of the 'wire' into a blob of PVA glue on a pice of paper and place it between struts. Do the short ones that run front to rear first for access.

A lot easier than it sounds, honest! And the PVA actually makes for quite a strong bond. Give it a go. The nice thing about this is you can do a few bits and go back to it later, or abandon the idea if you can't be bothered! With the drill and sewing method, once you start - you are committed!!!

1 hour ago, Pete in a shed said:

That's a pretty little model. Very nicely done Kris.

Just a thought about the kit. Shouldn't the slats be moulded extended as most models are depicted on the ground? They are spring driven and pushed in by the airflow, as the airflow decreases the springs overcome the push from the airflow and they automatically extend. consequently they are always out when the aircraft is stationary. Praps they should have been supplied separately.

Pete

Thanks for the kind words Pete. Yeah you're probably right about the slats and obviously some kits will have these as 'posable' but it probably wasn't worth airfix trying to do this on such a small kit. Haven't seen a review of the 1/48 kit - it might have slats that you can change with it being bigger.

Kris

29 minutes ago, alancmlaird said:

I first stetch some 'waste' sprue - the grey or coloured sprue that's no use for rigging. Don't worry about the thickness or even-ness, this is just as a template for the actual piece.

I used to use a pair of school dividers to measure the gap, but they were too difficult to fit into tight spaces accurately. So now I just cut a bit of this 'spare' stuff bigger than the diagonal i need, then trima bit off till it fits the space - transferring the dimension to the silver or clear stretch sprue you intend to actually use. Not as time-consuming as it sounds - once you get your 'eye' in you'll find yourself cutting within a couple of mm first time! Then, dip each end of the 'wire' into a blob of PVA glue on a pice of paper and place it between struts. Do the short ones that run front to rear first for access.

A lot easier than it sounds, honest! And the PVA actually makes for quite a strong bond. Give it a go. The nice thing about this is you can do a few bits and go back to it later, or abandon the idea if you can't be bothered! With the drill and sewing method, once you start - you are committed!!!

Thanks for your reply to this Alan - it's very much appreciated and I'll certainly want to give this a go. I think I'll leave the Tiger Moth as done but I also have an Eduard 1/72 Avia B-534 that's going to need some rigging and I think this would be the perfect technique to try. Also the fact you use PVA which is fairly strong when dry but doesn't have the potential to leave awkward looking blobs like CA glue is perfect. Thank you Alan 👍😁

Kris

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ratch said:

I used Aeroclub Rigging Thread

411436245.jpg
411436246.jpg
411436247.jpg

but elasticated mending thread from a haberdashers works just as well

Lovely model ratch - well done with the rigging and thanks for your advice. It may yet get rigged!! 🤞

8 hours ago, Homer said:

A fine little beauty, well done. 

Thanks Homer - you're very kind 👍

• Like 1