1/35 M3 Grant

Watto64

Starting a new build from the stash - this one courtesy of my good lady of the Christmas list!  This time it's an old kit, the Tamiya 1/35 M3 Grant

y4migNGiqO_kuulTs8i2ubt4ukIsUGr07kF2CHKt

I'm aiming to build this as T-24210, as indicated below

02ac50d442f8b172fe19ec629b0660b1.jpg

The OOB decals provide for this, however the above picture does not appear to show any squadron markings on the turret.

Anyway, the running gear went together very easily

y4mOxYy0GEKKukBLv5KDYQyZasd7IouHJxV-VMVn

and the rear panel

y4mjjbROquPttMpI-17ewuapfqSW-jGr_SceVxPx

I'll keep ya posted on developments!

• Like 5

As you say, this is a very old kit now: 40 years or so.  Academy is better, Takom is better still, MiniArt is best..

The most obviously noticeable goof is that the tracks have the connectors on the end of each link rather than joining the links together.  There is no fix other than replacement.  Bronco or MiniArt would be my preferences.  This is assuming that Tamiya haven't replaced the old tracks with new ones along the way.

The great thing about these Tamiya classics is they go together without issue, can still look really good when done and give a great canvas for painting and weathering. 

Good luck, doubt you'll need it but most of all enjoy.

Atb

Darryl 

10 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

The great thing about these Tamiya classics is they go together without issue, can still look really good when done and give a great canvas for painting and weathering. 

Good luck, doubt you'll need it but most of all enjoy.

Atb

Darryl 

Thanks......stil finding my feet coming back to the fold.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So the build is complete but not fully weathered and worn.  This was my first attempt at using my new spray gun - thanks to Amazon Prime deals on that one.  I had previously used  rattle cans on my 2 previous DAK outings - had to say that I did feel a tad apprehensive at first but after practising on some plasticard it wasn't that bad at all.

y4mgK24pSaOEpNJelIS9v-2NbCEm5P8vOXhqyYnK

Applied a dark wash around all the rivets and hatches etc

y4mgNBRQxN5W_agrEoYkwOcJKmwZF-qDGfFiTla4

y4mKt8Jn4HXSZnIPXgERoucdj7ACwZdvLhbSSRMJ

Applied mix of Vallejo Pigments to the suspension following a coating of thinners

y4m7rA0D0sQWtk8EXkWTQIcW4uI2a8YaNxHuv9LJ

y4mqiqRmxC6IqAXbkYTO5wSc30dyM2X3aOo3KTTj

Had to apply putty to a small gap (well it was actually about 3mm by 10mm) where the upper hull met the lower hull (unusual for Tamiya to have a poor fit IMHO).  Need to sand down and paint.

The tracks were a complete nightmare!  One set complete snapped and had to resort to a staple to fix (unfortunately funds at this stage wouldn't stretch that far!!).

I'm going to add an aerial, so its a choice of a) stretching a sprue or b) obtaining some 0.2/0.3mm wire - not sure which?!  I'm in no doubt someone  will proffer their experience, which will be welcomed.

To keep me going, I've switched codes and have started on an old 1/72 Airfix Blenheim mk IV I recently acquired.

Steve

• Like 3

For aerials I use strands from an indoor broom. They are some sort of plastic so glue and paint ok. Don't tell the Mrs though!

George

Edited by Geo1966
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

For aerials I use strands from an indoor broom. They are some sort of plastic so glue and paint ok. Don't tell the Mrs though!

George

What a good idea!! Will try that one I think