My first 1/16

This is my first ever post in a ‘Ready for inspection’ and my first ever 1/16 figure. Had to start somewhere so apologies that you’ve probably seen this figure done (better) a million times before.

Please feedback!

My questions are:

1) Obviously, this is a cheap Tamiya set - would a more expensive resin kit achieve better results.

2) How do I get the skin less ‘blotchey’ (zoom in)? Do I need to water the paint down more? I’m using the face paint kit from Vallejo.

Thanks for looking.

3A4EB96C-2585-48CC-8CC7-407DD76EA771 67D9E7A1-4267-4B5D-939A-6FB891E63313 A8116BBE-99EE-426B-9CE2-BDC34CF224EB DB27B356-2FB3-4205-B65A-D954E097E4A6 5441A845-4235-462E-BAC1-D9FFDA294FD2

• Like 14

It looks very good for a first time :clap: I think this kit is already pretty good to work with; of course resin offerings normally sport very fine details and make the paint job somewhat easier, but as I said, this one isn't bad at all.

As for your second question: yes, with acrylics you want to use very thinned paints. When I paint figures,  it takes me 5 to 6 passes to complete a regular coat. The result,  though, is a much smoother transition between shadows and lights.

HTH

Ciao 

Yes for your first figure model it looks good 👍. As the last person said you need to thin down acrylic paint ,it is just a matter of taking your time and build up the highlights and shades, there are plenty of videos on you tube on the subject so you could look them up to help .

Looks nice to me. These large scale figs are a real challenge (I assume this one isn't white metal, since you're holding it in just one hand?) and you've done a good job.

I think you can be chuffed with that. I think the hardest part is getting the eyes right on faces. Yours are pretty good if you ask me. Perhaps a little “staring” but just add a cation “Stalingrad” and then all is perfect !

Thanks for comments all. I’ve already started the next 1/16 tonight. Just another cheap tamiya to cut my teeth on this scale but I’m using it as practise before a buy a more expensive kit. Watered the Vallejo colours down much more than previously and blending is going much better.

Are the Dragon figures similar to this quality? They are around the same price. There then seems to be a massive jump to the resin figures which are around £30 - £40. 

• Like 1

So after reading the feedback, I really watered the paint down this week...

F5BDC24A-826B-43CC-8B7B-A181884FD955

I’m pleased considering this figure was less than £10. Pleased with his blue eyes especially.

But he looks a bit cartoon-like.

Please can someone give a Next Step for me?

I’ve ordered a Dragon figure to see if they give a better result.

• Like 2