1/48th Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I, 222 Sqn, June 1940, flown by Flt. Lt. Douglas Bader over Dunkirk.

Lovely model.

I met Bader in the 1970s and first impressions was of an arrogant man driven by a hidden dynamo. A few years later I met a bookshop owner who had been a prisoner with Bader and he told me that when Bader was transfered out to another camp everyone was glad to see the back of him as he was an absolute nuisance in constanly provoking the germans who then searched everything and everyone thus compromising any escape schemes.

I've also read an article and watched a documentary that casts doubt on the story of a collision with a Me109. The conclusion being it was most likely friendly fire.

Never the less an interesting and brave man.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 9:00 AM, sprue said:

Lovely model.

I met Bader in the 1970s and first impressions was of an arrogant man driven by a hidden dynamo. A few years later I met a bookshop owner who had been a prisoner with Bader and he told me that when Bader was transfered out to another camp everyone was glad to see the back of him as he was an absolute nuisance in constanly provoking the germans who then searched everything and everyone thus compromising any escape schemes.

I've also read an article and watched a documentary that casts doubt on the story of a collision with a Me109. The conclusion being it was most likely friendly fire.

Never the less an interesting and brave man.

Thanks mate..... yes I`ve heard exactly the same,..... I suppose he got up everybody`s nose including the German`s! I saw the programme re the circumstances of his loss too,..... always suspected the struck by a Me109 might just be another tall story. 

On 1/13/2021 at 10:12 AM, stevehnz said:

Nice job on that Tony, to be expected if course. ;) :D I've not really thought of Bader's early machines but obviously they were a thing, so it is nice to see one done so well. :)

Steve.

Cheers Steve,.... one of the reasons why it appealed to me too,...... a lesser known mount of an ace to be as it were ..... plus I do like the Dunkirk era Spits and Hurri`s with their black and white undersides! 

On 1/13/2021 at 10:20 AM, Edge said:

Another masterpiece Tony!

Edge

Thanks Edge,.... very kind of you to say so mate. 

On 1/13/2021 at 3:48 PM, Paulaero said:

That's stunning Tony, that brown looks spot on , Humbrol 29 ?

I lightened the Xtracolor Dark earth but yours has that nice reddish tint.

Another good job !!

Thanks Paul,.... yeah Humbrol 29,.... it dries quite sandy looking, but the application of gloss varnish for the decals really brings out that hidden reddish brown.  

On 1/13/2021 at 12:56 AM, opus999 said:

Fantastic!  Beautifully and realistically weathered.

Thanks very much,... glad you like it mate.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1