Revell Boeing P-26 (Peashooter)

I think most aircraft modellers have either built this or have on in their stash. It is the very basic Revell 
offering which I think originated in the '70s. I bought this very cheaply on eBay for one specific purpose and 
that was to try my hand at rigging on a relatively easy subject.

I've always admired the skill of bi-plane modellers in this respect and now having finished as best I can I admire
them even more. It's not for me though. Modelling should be fun and this wasn't. I have a Hereford on the bench
now and I think it will be the last bit of rigging I will be attempting. Way too stressful to be enjoyable.

For anyone not familiar with the 'Peashooter' it was designed in the '30s and saw service into the 1941 Pacific
theatre where remarkably it scored several victories over the A6 Zero.

50821162231_cbfe3a83e4_z.jpg

50821260217_3f86e64ef7_z.jpg

50821260162_2ff83f7922_z.jpg

50821161786_ef42947a77_z.jpg

50821161721_fdf6743189_z.jpg

And to compare  how quickly technical advances were made, the P-51 was in the skies over Iwo Jima just 3 years after the

diminutive P-26 was retired.

50820418068_f1945aec5e_z.jpg

• Like 37

What a lovely little model Vinnie,..... you`ve done a cracking job on this old kit,...... something to be proud of mate.

Cheers

Tony  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Good effort! But I’m with you, rigging is for people with 6 fingers and 3 hands!

Ha ha, yes a third hand would have come in handy.

12 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Excellent model!

Thank you very much.

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

This looks great, you have done well on the rigging.  Rigging biplanes is quite addictive and the more you do you find it easier.  Go on give a Biplane a go.

Great work on your Peashooter.

Chris

Thanks, Chris.

12 hours ago, John Masters said:

One develops a routine.

I'll take your word on that. I really don't feel like taking on another at the moment.:lol:

12 hours ago, John Masters said:

One develops a routine.

Thanks for the advice. Never say never.

On 1/10/2021 at 8:31 PM, ForestFan said:

Lovely little build. Was fortunate to see one fly at Duxford flying legends a few years back, will have to build one, one day that is

Thank you neighbour.

23 hours ago, tonyot said:

What a lovely little model Vinnie,..... you`ve done a cracking job on this old kit,...... something to be proud of mate.

Cheers

Tony  

Thanks' Tony. I Always appreciate your comments.

23 hours ago, Patrick Martin said:

Is there are rigging drawing someplace for this?

PM

I don't know. The wings and wheel spats have pre drilled holes which I guessed were rigging points. The rest I took from Google images so maybe there will be some inaccuracies.

11 hours ago, djos said:

11 hours ago, djos said:

Great looking plane. You done great job with this ancient kit.

Beautiful small bug

Regards Djordje

Thank you, Djordje for your kind comments.

8 hours ago, swralph said:

Very nice build Vinnie.😀

Thank you.

• Like 2

Hi Vinnie,

what a lovely model! You have done yourself proud with the decals, that must be a cast iron witch to put correctly!

As far as the rigging is concerned, again, a great result.

I do disagree with you on one point: I would never have chosen the P-26 with a view to an easy rigging exercise. The way so many wires meet at one single point makes life a misery! But you succeeded, so a biplane should be an easy undertaking!

Congrats

JR

• Thanks 1

She's a cracker Vinnie!  :clap2:   Quite nice indeed sir; may I ask what scale?    I have the old 1/48 Hobbycraft P-26 in my stash and get it out from time to time, think about starting it, and then back on the shelf it goes.  😉    Your model does inspire me!  Thanks for showing her to us here. 👍

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Vinnie,

what a lovely model! You have done yourself proud with the decals, that must be a cast iron witch to put correctly!

As far as the rigging is concerned, again, a great result.

I do disagree with you on one point: I would never have chosen the P-26 with a view to an easy rigging exercise. The way so many wires meet at one single point makes life a misery! But you succeeded, so a biplane should be an easy undertaking!

Congrats

JR

Thanks, Jean. I appreciate your comments.

16 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

She's a cracker Vinnie!  :clap2:   Quite nice indeed sir; may I ask what scale?    I have the old 1/48 Hobbycraft P-26 in my stash and get it out from time to time, think about starting it, and then back on the shelf it goes.  😉    Your model does inspire me!  Thanks for showing her to us here. 👍

Thanks, Gary. It's Revell's 1/72. A very basic kit but the scheme does make it stand out.

• Like 1