Airfix 1/72 Mk.1a Spitfire starter kit.

I realise this type of project is nothing new, but it’s something I’ve fancied doing for a while and has been a refreshing change and a welcome break from the usual kit bashing. The kit was an impulse purchase from Aldi whilst doing the weekly shopping and at less than a fiver for a starter kit I thought it rude to pass up on such a bargain. Anyway, after a minor amount of flash was trimmed off the sprue the airframe was airbrushed using the little paint pots supplied which were diluted with Tamiya X-20A thinners. Everything was then lacquered with Humbrol Gloss prior to applying the decals after which it was given a coat of Humbrol Matt to seal everything in. The deep picture frame was purchased from ‘The Range’ and the back sides of the sprues drilled to accept a few small screws inserted from behind the picture frame back plate to hold everything in place. I must say I found the build(?) very satisfying and am already thinking of making an Me.109E-3 to accompany the Spit. 

50821482476_221f0c6aff_o.jpg

• Like 36

Awesome. I was given a little starter set like this as a Christmas present from a child in my class (has heard me waffling about planes at some point obviously). Had been planning to make it into a little crashed diorama under a bigger 109, but I might do something like this with it instead. Would look great on the wall!  

• Thanks 1