Sherman Mk III NZ 18th Armoured Regiment - Update 20/02/21

How do chaps or should that be G'day?? 

This will be my contribution to the proceedings. The Dragon Sherman III marked up as a Sherman of the NZ 18th Arm Reg of the 4th Arm Brigade - Po River April 1945.

72DIFVs.jpg

2EmuKGE.jpg

According to the decals this tank should have steel chevron track with duck bills. I know that I have some of these but they are the old Tamiya ones from their M4A3 kit of many years ago. Will have a look and see if they are any good and if not will use the kit tracks as I'm sure the duck bills were taken off at some point (either that or fell off!) 

Really looking forward to getting stuck in into this 🇳🇿

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Steve... cant go wrong with a Sherman. 

Aye up Dennis,

Your right, but it would appear that I've gone wrong with this one! The tank I'm planning to build can't be done from the Dragon kit I have. Just been doing some research (always a dangerous thing!) and it would appear that the actual tank had a single piece transmission and welded hoods and not the three piece and cast hoods as depicted in the kit I was planning to use. All is not lost however as I happen to have the Dragon M4A2 Tarawa kit in the stash which has the correct transmission and hoods. I'll just need to bulk the fronts out with plastic card as Dragon moulded them way too thin! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

How do chaps,

Made a start on the build today.

As mentioned above the kit I was going to use has the cast hoods and the tank I'm wanting to depict has the welded type. As it happens I have this kit which has the correct type of hoods.

JUcAtb0.jpg

Also got some reference material to keep me on track.

9Ce76cP.jpg

RvLe1JD.jpg

One of the problems with this particular kit is Dragon moulded the front armour of the hoods too thin.

uudS5HU.jpg

I could add some plastic card to thicken them up a bit, but to be honest I don't think I have the required skill to put the welds back in once I have done this. To be honest I can live with the fact of the armour not thick enough.

Any how I cracked on with the build none the less and as per usual I skipped building the running gear and started with the lower hull. Rear plate done and fitted.

bSbdmi8.jpg

Inserts added for the running gear along with the piece that has the rear section of the sponson fillers.

WUKJ8Oy.jpg

Test fit of the upper hull.

OlV96jr.jpg

Final drive assembled.

I22CrxW.jpg

Next up was the fitting of the engine deck and covers. I also drilled out the various holes needed for the tools.

WtaE1iX.jpg

Hull hatches, periscopes, lights and various other bits added to the front and rear.

MOyXXtr.jpg

cvlI3I5.jpg

Upper hull and final drive added. I always find the fit of the final drives on Dragon M4 kits to be a bit of a faff. I had to put a shim of plastic card into a rather significant gap! 

WWpZcDc.jpg

Also started on the turret shell. Seam at the rear will need more clean up and some filling.

bVK861J.jpg

Had to snaffle the gun shield and rear stowage box from the original kit I was going to use as the Tarawa kit only has the full width mantlet which is not appropriate for the tank I'm wanting to build.

zTZjdGL.jpg

And that's where I've left it for the day. Still plenty to be done and will probably make a start on the running gear tomorrow. Also the first time of using the Dspiae Single Blade Nippers I got for Chrimbo. They do leave a nice neat cut but I find them a little awkward to use. This is due to them being quite small and my hands being a bit like shovels! I'm sure I'll get used to them in time though.

q1RZEpo.jpg

More to follow and thanks for looking in.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 6

@Corsairfoxfouruncle

Dennis, I've just realised that I've started this a week too early! :blush: :huh:

My sincere apologies and I'll ask the mods to move the thread to the Armour section and will continue it in there. I'm sure I can find something to replace it with to start on the CORRECT date of 23rd Jan! 

That'll teach me to jump the gun!!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers

5 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Dennis, I've just realised that I've started this a week too early! :blush: :huh:

My sincere apologies

You could just stop work on it at this point ? I believe the entire pile that is the running gear and tracks could constitute a majority of the parts number ? 

9 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You could just stop work on it at this point ? I believe the entire pile that is the running gear and tracks could constitute a majority of the parts number ? 

Thanks Dennis,

I'll leave it alone until next week when the GB actually starts! I am using one piece tracks but i need to do a fair bit on the turret and as you say the running gear alone is a fair stack of bits (about 80 i think) If anyone objects i'm happy to get it shifted though 👍

Thanks again,

Steve

• Like 1

How do chaps,

Due to the fact I'm a numpty and jumped the gun with the start date of this by a week :nono:I checked with Dennis @Corsairfoxfouruncle and he graciously allowed me to continue with the build here! 

So today has been all about the running gear and the one thing I don't really like so much about building Dragon Sherman's is doing this. They tend to need a fair bit of clean up which can be a bit fiddly. Not as fiddly as the ones in the Dragon M4A3 105mm Howitzer kit I have though as they're just scary! 

gvboRbf.jpg

After a while of snipping and so on I ended up with a pile of parts.

YMlGK1B.jpg

Made up the springs and their base plates thingies.

yxhHID2.jpg

And then the wheels and sprockets. 

EEt2xx7.jpg

The running gear made up. Looking at the reference pics I have showed smooth type sprockets and one open spoked wheel on the rear bogie on the right hand side. A quick forage in the Dragon Sherman III kit provided this.

gW2fLTb.jpg

After squinting at the picture for a bit longer I noticed that the idler wheel on the same side was also the open spoke type so it was back into the Sherman III kit for one of those too!

oUuuA4f.jpg

The turret in the same picture looks like it has the thickened cheek armour but I can't be too sure. If this is the case then I can live without it to be honest. Also need to add some plastic strip to represent where the sand shields would have been bolted. Brass ones are provided in the kit but I tend to avoid these as they can be a bit of a pig to fit and tend to spring off! Once this is done I'll probably sort the seam on the turret rear and then get that built up. The colour profile in the Camo & Markings Book shows this tank with a narrow mantlet with the collars. Don't know if this is correct or not but I'm happy to go with this as like the look it gives.  I also need to scrounge up the applique armour panels for the hull sides but fortunately there are some in this kit.

l1fBWU5.jpg

Still a fair way to go and I'm currently debating as to whether I will use some Dragon indie links with Duck Bills I have or go with band tracks. Not sure my sanity will stand up to cutting off and cleaning up all them track parts!!  :mental:

More to follow soon with comments and suggestions welcome.

Regards,

Steve

🇳🇿

• Like 6

I love watching other people assemble Dragon Sherman suspension and individual link tracks ;)

I like your organized approach and attention to details.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How do chaps,

Thanks for the comments - most encouraging :D

Managed to get a smidge more done this evening. Scratch built a jerry can rack for the rear hull as it seems most if not all Kiwi Sherman's had these in Italy at some point. I also added a spare turret bin to the rear plate along with a couple more boxes as per reference pics I have. 

wiaaBfj.jpg

Also added the applique armour panels and some strip to represent where the sand shields would have been bolted on. I used the Dragon brass part as a guide for the bolt holes. The front mud guards were also added and these were a real faff to fit, but I got there in the end! Looking at the bolt holes they look a bit too big but hopefully this won't be too obvious once some paint and muck is added! 

a2GsplE.jpg

KIPiL86.jpg

JFPLZ6t.jpg

And these are the track that I'm thinking of using. They're from the old Tamiya M4A3 kit that I built 20 odd years ago! Hopefully If they'll fit and I can bring them up to scratch paint wise. If not I will just use the kit supplied tracks without the duckbills.

FofMPN9.jpg

That's it now until next weekend. I'm currently building indoors as even with the heater on it's too blimmin cold to be in the shed! The desk I'm building at is now my work desk Monday to Friday due to working from home since last March. Just hope it warms up a smidge before I need to paint something! I'll also have to do the turret seam line in the shed as I'll be sorting it with Mr Surfacer and that's a bit too stinky for use in the house! Might get a bit cramped when I start my builds for the PzIII and Africa GB's in the next few weeks though! 

Regards,

Steve

🇳🇿

• Like 4

Like wise very little modelling going on, as shed is far too cold and damp feeling for any modelling. 

Good to see the NZ specific stowage on the rear hull of your MkIII Sherman. Lovely work

Edited by Threadbear
  • Thanks 1

I don't think the bolt holes look too big, but the plastic strip may be a touch too wide.

I found that gluing the PE strip with epoxy really helps it stay in place. Likewise with the front fenders and any other sticky outie bits of PE.

I hate working with PE!

I'm really enjoying your work here. It's always a challenge to get all the right bits together for a Sherman, as each one seemed to be arranged just a bit different.

That why I love them!

• Like 1

How do chaps,

Managed to do a bit of work on the turret over the weekend. The mantlet sat too far back at the bottom when placed in the turret front so to remedy this I glued in some plastic strip. This worked rather well and the mantlet now sits flush all the way round. 

yc9oj0o.jpg

NYdTS1Q.jpg

Also did a bit of work on the turret rear where the upper and lower halves join. Used some plastic strip to represent where the casting join was. This was given a good soaking with liquid poly and then prodded with the back of some tweezers to flatten it out a bit. I think it will look ok once I add some Mr Surfacer to it. Didn't do the back of the turret as it won't be seen once the stowage box is fitted. 

2RnURuE.jpg

VHyVjhM.jpg

Hopefully if it warms up a bit over the weekend I'll be able to get into the Shed to get the Surfacer on and then It's about ready for some paint!

More soon,

Steve

🇳🇿

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

How do chaps,

Well as it has finally warmed up a bit I was able to get back out into the shed to do some more work on the Kiwi Sherman.

First job was to add some Mr Surfacer 500 to the turret where the join was. It was also added to the areas that had been sanded smooth. Once it had gone off I knocked it back a bit with a sanding sponge. Whilst not 100% perfect I'm quite happy with the end result. 

wyNXyRp.jpg

Yig58ng.jpg

Turret stowage box was then added along with the various other turret fittings and hatch etc. After a bit of thought I decided to go with a closed up tank. 

Jy90drt.jpg

I'd noticed on the ref pic I'm using that the tank I'm depicting had some small handles attached to the hull sides. So some were sourced from the spares box. These were a real fiddle to fit due to their size but got them on ok. Not overly even but the look the part none the less. 

WBfq7KU.jpg

skQvv5t.jpg

Whilst I was ferreting about in the spares I happened across an actual telephone box. The box I had originally fitted was removed and this was added in it's place.

AxSwchM.jpg

Well that about it for the build and its now ready for some paint. Hopefully will get the base coats on tomorrow.

More to follow soon,

Regards,

Steve

🇳🇿

• Like 5

• fatfingers changed the title to Sherman Mk III NZ 18th Armoured Regiment - Update 20/02/21

This is coming along brilliantly Steve,...... very impressive. Glad to hear that I am not the only one who hates individual track links,..... there are so many tank kits available now of tanks that I have always wanted to model,...... but they have these awful tracks! I`d be happy to pay a bit more and have optional band tracks included in a kit,...... I also hated track bash on the full sized thing too!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tonyot said:

This is coming along brilliantly Steve,...... very impressive. Glad to hear that I am not the only one who hates individual track links,..... there are so many tank kits available now of tanks that I have always wanted to model,...... but they have these awful tracks! I`d be happy to pay a bit more and have optional band tracks included in a kit,...... I also hated track bash on the full sized thing too!

Cheers

Tony

Cheers Tony,

I know what you man about wanting to do a kit but the tracks put you off. I've got 3 Gekko kits of the A9 & A10 Cruiser tanks that I really want to build but the indie tracks scare me I've also got a couple of the Bronco A9 kits and they come with link and length tracks which are much more agreeable!  Problem is the Bronco kits are a real faff in other ways. Also got a Bronco Ram Tank with way too many indie links but at least I can swap them out for some Dragon band types when I get round to building it :analintruder:

Onto the build...

Got the primer on this evening. Originally started to prime with Ammo One Shot but started to have problems with it. Was going on sort of lumpy if you get me? I think it may to do with the freezing weather we recently had. Just hope all of my acrylics aren't knackered due to it! At one point it was that cold up my way the 50ltr water butt at the back of the garden was almost frozen solid! Soon as It was realised I was going to have problems with the Ammo I stopped where I was and cleaned the airbrush out. Left the parts I'd done to dry off for a bit and then knocked it back with a sanding stick. After this I went over it again with good old Tamiya black XF1 thinned with some SLT and no problems were encountered! 

wOTaObn.jpg

Was then a case of deciding what shade of Olive Drab to go for. Didn't want to risk using the Mig I have in case I had the same problems as with the primer. Tamiya's OD looked a shade too yellow so decided to use AK Real Color faded Olive Drab as the base. I reasoned as the tank was in Italy it would have been quite faded and thought it will give me a good base for the planned dusty finish. I may even pick out the box on the back of the hull in possibly light mud to represent one taken from another tank. 

07HohXo.jpg

I'm rather pleased how the cast seam on the turret looks under some paint.

BgJxnIA.jpg

r1wEfu1.jpg

Oph24Pw.jpg

That's where it was left. Next job will be painting the details and tyres and then a gloss coat ready for the decals and some oil washes and such. 

Hopefully will get more done next weekend.

Thanks for dropping by and comments and suggestions welcome.

Regards,

Steve

🇳🇿

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

How do chaps,

Can't believe it's been a month since I last did any work on the Kiwi Sherman! This is mainly due to the fact I've been concentrating on the build for the Africa GB. Any how just a small update. Got the model glossed up ready for the decals and weathering and painted in the tyres. A few more details still to paint in such as the lights and MG's etc then all ready for the decals. Have also made a start on painting the tools too.

lYIAWcW.jpg

bfwOSCK.jpg

yXWXxqQ.jpg

More to follow soon,

Regards,

Steve

🇳🇿 

• Like 2

This is coming along really well,..... I`d always thought that the overall Olive Drab used in the latter half of the war in Italy was quite a darkish shade and darker looking than the older Mud &  Blue/Black scheme,....possibly to help counter the covering of dust making it look too light .. but whatever you go with is fine.

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

Cheers @tonyot

To be honest the more i look at it the more i think it is too light in colour. It does look rather like light mud. Am thinking or respraying in a darker OD shade as you suggest....

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1