Enforced retirement from model building

brianthemodeller

So, after 40 years of enjoying building plastic models of all scales and types, I have finally been forced to hang up my scalpel. I have developed a serious allergic reaction to most of the adhesives that I use; Cyanoacrylate, Contacta, Tamika, EMA plastic weld etc. 

I have found that even the slightest exposure results in my sinuses contracting to the point where I can’t breath through my nose and a really  sore throat. This can last for several days and is most uncomfortable. Slightly longer exposure sees me reaching for my wife’s inhaler...

I am left with the choice of wearing quite heavy respirators or looking for a new hobby. 

As the thought of spending my free time  wearing something akin to an NBC suit doesn’t really appeal I have decided  enough is enough and so my building days are over.

Please take care and remember just how dangerous some of the chemical we use can be and, unlike me, take the proper precautions!

• Like 1
  • Sad 16

Sorry to heard your news and the decision to stop.

For one that used to wear the NBC suit I understand the need to protect yourself . . .

Have you ever fancied 'twitching' ? . . . plenty of fresh air to help the sinuses

Good luck with your 'retirement' . . ..

Ian

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Have you ever fancied 'twitching' ? . . . plenty of fresh air to help the sinuses

Thanks but can’t see my wife being too chuffed about me spending my free time looking at birds... 🤫and even if I did, lockdown may curtail it a little!

At the moment, Lego is looking like a very real option - still get to build models but no fumes!

• Like 1

Really sorry to hear about this. That’s so unlucky to get hit like that. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I’ve had extended periods when modelling can’t get done because of circumstances but I have enjoyed acquiring books and the like and reading up on aviation matters all the same. Perhaps that’s a direction to explore. We’d hate to completely lose you on here

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

Really sorry to hear about this. That’s so unlucky to get hit like that. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I’ve had extended periods when modelling can’t get done because of circumstances but I have enjoyed acquiring books and the like and reading up on aviation matters all the same. Perhaps that’s a direction to explore. We’d hate to completely lose you on here

Thanks, I think I will be popping in for a while - there are some superb builds I would like to see finished!

• Like 3

I’m sorry to hear that... maybe you could try some of the UGears laser cut wood working models. The worst your sinuses would have to contend with would be PVA white glue, and that not very often...

best,

M.

• Like 3

Really sad to hear.

If you need an occasional modelling fix, there are some enjoyable 'clip kits' out there such as the Meng Toon Tanks and planes. Although they have a 'squashed' shape, they have lots of prototypical features and many builders do as much painting and weathering detail as they would on a 1/35 kit.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I’m sorry to hear that... maybe you could try some of the UGears laser cut wood working models. The worst your sinuses would have to contend with would be PVA white glue, and that not very often...

best,

M.

The range of high quality wood kits seems massive although sadly firms like billings do have some mixed media (metal fittings mainly) that might need the horrible chemicals.  Good luck but if PVA is ok then clinker built boats are great fun and satisfying. 

• Like 1

One thing I remembered from my criminal defence days. A client who had done time was in the office and spotted aviation prints on the wall and the odd model. He mentioned that they were allowed to build kits in jail and if I recall they were allowed to use toothpaste as glue substitute. I can’t imagine how that works though older types of toothpaste can dry out quite hard. Probably useless for fine work but perhaps the BM massif can come up with some alternative from our extensive collective experience??

Ive seen some of those wooden boat models and they look really good and always seem to be “proper” modelling. 

Metal parts could be soldered. A new technique to acquire 🤔 

• Like 3

Hi Brian - I haven't been at the bench myself for nearly 12 months now - so I've reverted back to my teenage hobby of 'plane spotting'.  The 21st century is helped a lot  by flight radar https://www.flightradar24.com/53.43,-2.12/11 

If the clouds clear there is plenty to see flying over Blackpool at high level on a daily basis.

Stay safe & please enjoy the stuff you have completed.

Steve

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, brianthemodeller said:

PVA is OK but I haven’t found anything that is chemical-based that I don’t react to.

If you're OK with PVA, then how about having a look at paper/card modelling? There's loads of stuff out there to download and print out, (some for free!) as well as printed kits you can buy.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear that, is maybe paper modeling an alternative? You can do most stuff with PVA, there is plenty of choice and the stash doesn't take much space (as the unbuilt kits are usually flat...)

Alex

• Like 3

Really sorry to hear this.

Apart from Scale Model building, what about computer based Flight Simulation, there are good Aircraft of all genre, civil and battle ... Tank and even Naval/Sub simulations now, these hobbys often co exist side by side with scale modelling, perhaps transfer your passion towards that?

Was going to suggest good quality light weight comfortable respirators, many are very comfortable to wear now, spent years and years as a welder and the fumes were deadly and I'm still OK thanks to good quality respirator masks.

Hope you find something that works for you my friend.

Edited by One 48
  • Like 1

Another thought ... it does pain me to see a fellow modeller lose out because of something like this ..

But we live in the days of Covid 19, PPE is developing all the time, surgeons have to wear the most bizarre protective gear, ever more now because of Covid, but my point is, please never give up, you have a big post count, that tells me you invested a lot of time in this hobby and are very popular here, please check out all avenues before stopping the hobby, but totally understand if you do that .. best of luck mate.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hi Brian - I haven't been at the bench myself for nearly 12 months now - so I've reverted back to my teenage hobby of 'plane spotting'.  The 21st century is helped a lot  by flight radar https://www.flightradar24.com/53.43,-2.12/11 

If the clouds clear there is plenty to see flying over Blackpool at high level on a daily basis.

Stay safe & please enjoy the stuff you have completed.

Steve

There's also youtube streams by Big Jet tv and Airliners Live that you can watch....

• Like 2

If PVA is a go, I'd also recommend taking a shot at paper card models. There's an impressive range of subjects -- many of which can be found for no cost whatsoever, beyond printer stock -- and every bit as detailed (and challenging) as other media.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, brianthemodeller said:

I have developed a serious allergic reaction to most of the adhesives that I use; Cyanoacrylate, Contacta, Tamika, EMA plastic weld etc. 

I have found that even the slightest exposure results in my sinuses contracting to the point where I can’t breath through my nose and a really  sore throat. This can last for several days and is most uncomfortable. Slightly longer exposure sees me reaching for my wife’s inhaler...

I am left with the choice of wearing quite heavy respirators or looking for a new hobby. 

Possibly this will cease or diminish over time of no exposure.   If you airbrushed,  did you have and  try use a spray booth? A faff for sure,  but perhaps a workaround try try in the future?

The paper models with PVA sounds like an avenue worth exploring as well.   

Have you tried  exploring using just PVA?  You get high strength ones for wood working,  may work for well fitting kits?  Holds canopies on fine, again, not ideal, but perhaps worth trying.   I mentioned well fitting kits, as the it's just about holding everything in place. 

If you like painting,  maybe do some figures,  as many are one one piece and some acrylics are basically odourless.  

• Like 3

That’s bad news. I hope you can continue on some other capacity. Maybe research or writing?

Good luck in whatever you choose and don’t forget you don’t need to model to be here!

Trevor

• Like 2

Really sorry to hear about your allergy issues but it sounds like you're doing the best thing healthwise.

4 hours ago, brianthemodeller said:

At the moment, Lego is looking like a very real option - still get to build models but no fumes!

This is definitely an option worth investigating. There are some great models available these days and though they tend to cost a bit more than the average kit, the advantage is that once you've built them, you can take them apart and build them again! Here's something I built during the recent festive break.

50822313987_659d98cb0d_c.jpg

Craig.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear of your woes. For a month or two last year I found that Tamiya extra thin was affecting my sinuses. 

I could only model for an hour or so. But then the effect ceased, why, I have no idea.

The suggestions for building card models sounds good, as does the idea of PVA on plastic models.

I often use PVA to fasten canopies in place.

I think if you tried Gorilla glue on roughened plastic surfaces, given an hour or two to set, you could be onto a winner.

It will also fill small gaps and any excess is easily wiped away. Worth a try.

You don't mention paint, so I assume that you are okay with Acrylics?

Brian, this might be worth consideration too, but reading your first post again, a lot of the symptoms you describe are typical Covid 19 symptoms old and new strains ... I'm sure you have been ultra careful buddy, but this horrible curse is far more infectious than the last strain and by pure accident, pure innocent can get it ... I would consider a test and perhaps a call to your local health authority to rule that out, its best to be sure in dark times like this.

I hope its not and its just a rare condition that can be diagnosed soon, but this new Covid strain of virus, it has to be considered too, no matter how careful you have been.

Hope you get well soon pal, sincerely.

Sorry to hear of this. :sad:

A member of my local club suffers similarly. He talked about this when discussing why he switched to paper models. He made a very good observation that we exasperate the issue by our usual state of closely looking when applying glue. We're literally putting our noses in the middle of it. Since then, I've tried to be more careful about this, particularly pulling back whenever I smell the stuff.