What If GB IV for 2022 - another time maybe

Wez

Having had a rush of blood to the head, I've invested in one of these, ideal for this sort of nonsense!

I fancy doing it in one of the Adl'A interceptor unit schemes.

Anyone else want to join in with a bit of fun?  Anything goes as long as it never really existed.

• Like 1

Australia's  1929 Federal election sees Labor form a majority government with 46 out of 75 seats. Radical Left elements of the party  push for close ties with the Soviet Union.

As a result Australia ends up licence building Polikarpov I-15 & I-16 fighters for the newly renamed Australian People's Air Force.

If that counts I'm in!

DennisTheBear

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DennisTheBear said:

Australia's  1929 Federal election sees Labor form a majority government with 46 out of 75 seats. Radical Left elements of the party  push for close ties with the Soviet Union.

As a result Australia ends up licence building Polikarpov I-15 & I-16 fighters for the newly renamed Australian People's Air Force.

If that counts I'm in!

DennisTheBear

That'll do for me, just the sort of scenario I'm thinking of.

• Wez changed the title to What If GB IV for 2022 now we have 40!
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm already signed up, but I'm having thoughts about a second build, and operational version of the infamous "Kittystang" from the museum at Moorabbin:

Curtiss-P-40E-Kittyhawk-Mk-1A-CKopp-1989

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Beggsy said:

I'm already signed up, but I'm having thoughts about a second build, and operational version of the infamous "Kittystang" from the museum at Moorabbin:

Curtiss-P-40E-Kittyhawk-Mk-1A-CKopp-1989

WTH is that ?? Looks like Kittyhawk fuselage/Mustang wings ?

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

On 10/6/2021 at 7:19 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looks like Kittyhawk fuselage/Mustang wings ?

Got it in one!  I guess the museum had the two incomplete aircraft and figured people would rather see a complete WWII fighter than some disassembled pieces.

Maybe I could do a story along the lines of:

A ship carrying P-40s to Australia hits a rogue wave and loses a container of wings overboard.  The perfectly good fuselages are put into storage on arrival.  A few years later the production of CAC Mustangs is ramping up but isn't providing fighters to the squadrons fast enough.  The entire Mustang wing is a sub-assembly that's joined to the fuselage in a near complete state.  Some bright spark at CAC realises that if they produce a few extra sets of wings and pay some engineers a bit of overtime, a few extra fighters can be had quickly and cheaply...

Edited by Beggsy
  • Like 1

OK, put me down. At this stage it'll be a Kinetic Su-33 done up as an ex-Russian Navy bird bought cheap by the Chinese and used in Niger to help protect their precious mineral mining operations in the South. Desert wrap around camouflage scheme in Niger Air Force markings with several air to air kills including F-18E and F-16 jets operated by the US Navy and Air Force in Cameroon markings! :wicked:

Something like one of these below, but on an Su-33 Sea Flanker. B)

jwiiE6v.jpg

JobJLVZ.jpg

6d1VlxI.jpg

Cheers

Richard.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 16:02, Gekko_1 said:

OK, put me down.

Thanks Richard, I often think of your profiles when I think of a What-If, glad to see you've posted some more.

• Thanks 1

• Wez changed the title to What If GB IV for 2022 now we have 41!

Right folks, the annual bunfight starts a week today, unlike previous years, after last year's consultation, the polling period is now only two weeks (it used to be the whole month), I hope I can count on your vote.

• Like 3

On 28/05/2021 at 12:39, Beggsy said:

I recently read about the RAAF turning down an offer of F-14s that had been blocked from sale to Iran (these would have been instead of the F/A-18s).

I feel the need, the need to put Kangaroo roundels on a Tomcat (or maybe slightly modify it into an F-14AU "Wombat")

Count me in, please!

You might want to add in one of the 72 F-14’s that the RNZAF purchased in 1985. A very necessary purchase to protect the North Island from the 120 or so Su 24 Fencers that the People’s Republic of Fiji leased off Soviet Alaska. Gave the NZ Ministry of Defence a hell of a scare that did; mostly because only three of our planned fleet of six attack submarines were completed at the time.

• Like 2

On 25/10/2021 at 17:02, Wez said:

Right folks, the annual bunfight starts a week today, unlike previous years, after last year's consultation, the polling period is now only two weeks (it used to be the whole month), I hope I can count on your vote.

You absolutely can, sir.  I've got a cracker of an idea (even if I do say so myself) that I've been sitting on for a while.  It's so "what if" that the aircraft may not have been capable of flight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

It's so "what if" that the aircraft may not have been capable of flight.

Which would make the term "aircraft" somewhat erroneous. In the real world anyway, but in Whiffland nothing is wrong. Questionable maybe, or perhaps ridiculous, farcical, absurd, impossible or even totally insane but never wrong. 😁 You've got me rather intrigued. Looking forward to  it. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

You absolutely can, sir.  I've got a cracker of an idea (even if I do say so myself) that I've been sitting on for a while.  It's so "what if" that the aircraft may not have been capable of flight.

I'm intrigued...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

in Whiffland nothing is wrong. Questionable maybe, or perhaps ridiculous, farcical, absurd, impossible or even totally insane but never wrong. 😁 

I wish I lived in Whiffland it sounds like a fantastic place! 👍👍👍

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

I wish I lived in Whiffland it sounds like a fantastic place! 👍👍👍

I don't know, it's a bit smelly TBH :whistle:

• Haha 2

• Wez changed the title to What If GB IV for 2022 - another time maybe