Nimrod - the Mighty Hunter

Hi guys,

As I said in the chat, I am in with the Airfix kit to represent XV244 operating out of Seeb. I bought the kit with the intention of doing this airframe as it was the only one I ever flew on (and nearly vomited during the practice MAD sweeps 🤮) back in 2003. Luckily the Xtradecals set covers this scheme and I bought the Alleycat canopy set when I got the kit which should improve things a little. I am toying with the idea of buying the engine set but I will see how things go. The biggest issue I have is where to put the old girl once she is built!

Dave

IMG_20210110_122358

• Like 12

Will be watching and interested in how you get on with the extras. I have one in the stash. 

Never flew in one, but did rescue the one that got blown off the runway at RAF Kinloss, some many years ago. 

Watching along, wanted to build the other 4 engined hemp and grey aircraft for this Gb other builds have made it look a bit ambitious (plus I share the space issue). Have built the nimrod before, simple enough build though I opted to not use the AM extras. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 5:35 PM, Hockeyboy76 said:

Will be watching and interested in how you get on with the extras. I have one in the stash. 

Never flew in one, but did rescue the one that got blown off the runway at RAF Kinloss, some many years ago. 

Was it the one that went into the trees? That must have been grim.

14 hours ago, rafalbert said:

Was it the one that went into the trees? That must have been grim.

No, this one attempted to land in very gusty conditions and managed only to get one set of main u/c into the grass half way down the runway and sunk for some reason. 

• Like 1

Well I have made a start, but this will be a slow burn as I have been evicted from my workspace/office by my missus who is now working ridiculous hours from home (teacher). That plus the fact that I need to finish a couple of KUTA builds and an SU15 for the Interceptor GB. Anyway, the interior is done and affixed to one fuselage half and I am planning to close this up later today. I expected this to be a more complex kit so was pleasantly surprised to find it looks pretty simple. Obviously these will be famous last words when I find everything is warped and will not fit!

IMG_20210124_143057

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

The fit of this big beastie has not been the best so far but I believe it was "old Airfix" rather than Hornby (someone correct me if I am wrong) and a bit of filler and wet and dry is sorting it out. The wings are assembled using the kit intakes which are not great but will be fine when it sits on the shelf (or wherever I find space to put it!). I have managed to address the seam on the fuselage but am fitting the MAD boom prior to installing the wings as it will be easier to address the join without them attached. Pics of that to follow.

IMG_20210227_173325

• Like 4

The main components are now assembled and a fair bit of filler used throughout. There was a huge gap at the top of the fuselage which I would have discovered earlier if I had checked the dry fitting properly 🤦🏼‍♂️. Still, it should look ok once painted. Various pods etc. still to be fitted.

IMG_20210305_220751

• Like 9

Crikey that was a huge jump in progres!

Looking forward to the next post. You don't se a lot of these completed,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been busy filling and sanding down and applying aerials, pods etc. and given it a coat of primer. There are quite a few areas which require further attention, the worst being around the cockpit area. The blade aerials are very chunky to say the least and I am considering replacing them with plastic card which, even if they are not aerodynamic, should look a lot better. At the very least it looks like a Nimrod so we are getting somewhere.

IMG_20210327_165235

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

There have been a few other bits to address and a lot of masking but the Hemp and Light Aircraft Grey have now been applied. After a few attempts I have determined that Humbrol's LAG is hopeless and reverted back to Xtracolor which produced far better results. Now I need to turn my attention to all the aerials etc. before I can begin decalling.

IMG_20210426_141306 IMG_20210426_141336

• Like 5

Things are plodding slowly on, and I have applied all the decals except for the underwing roundels (clarification is being sought - thank you Jabba!). As has been reported elsewhere the decals are not the best quality and there are hundreds of the blighters. The Klear and water trick seems to have worked as they have settled down in the main. I am glad we now have an extension as there is no way I will finish this by the weekend!

IMG_20210505_191929

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Oooo a Nimrod! Looking great so far. Really wish there was a 1/144 kit of this, I'd probably build quite a few

There is always the Welsh Models resin and vacform kit, and the all resin Anigrand kit (which is virtually double the cost of the Airfix kit!) but nothing in IM. That said, the way MikroMir are going there may be one shortly 🤞

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, the Nimrod will not be ready in time. I was using the hairdryer method to get a decal to settle down but was not paying attention which resulted in what is displayed below. I am properly gutted as I was loving this old girl. I will see if I can retrieve something of this with filler etc but it will obviously not be the same. Oh well, we live and learn!

IMG_20210515_111331

• Sad 6