Spitfire Vb question.

stevej60

Hi folk's I know there's a huge Spitfire thread here but It can take a day to go through! I'm on with a 

trumpeter Vb and need to ask what was the score on the small pop up flap on the wings? I wasn't sure

if they indicate the u/c down,the model has the wheels down,

20210110_135021

Also its the same squadron aircraft to these I know no wire was fitted from the radio post to tail on the Vb but I've seen some

models fitted with a wires running mid fuselage to tailplane's can't make any out in the photo,and are the end portion of the cannon painted red ? it certainly looks like it!

c1d90442c071f45dd3f45acde0446b0d.jpg

The little door near the trailing edge opens when the flaps go down. (there's the "elbow" of an actuator that protrudes and pushes open that door)

The red on the front of the cannons is (I believe) tape to seal them until use.

Agreed no wire from the mast- there'd be the little triangle "pennant" on the back if there were.  The one from fuselage to stabilizer is IFF, and I think I can just barely see it in this photo.

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

If you mean the small door near the trailing edge that's the flap position indicator; don't forget Spitfire flaps are either fully up or fully down so if that door's open they're down.

The undercarriage position indicator is a small pin which I think is located just aft of the front spar and midway between the undercarriage pintle fairing and the bulges skin over the wheel well.

Spitfires lost the aerial wire from mast to fin when the TR.9 radios were replaced with later VHF sets in (early?) 1941, the aerials for which were built into the mast itself.  The wires from fuselage to tailplane are for early IFF sets.  If I remember correctly these aerial wires were replaced by an underwing whip aerial in later aircraft.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

The little door near the trailing edge opens when the flaps go down. (there's the "elbow" of an actuator that protrudes and pushes open that door)

The red on the front of the cannons is (I believe) tape to seal them until use.

Agreed no wire from the mast- there's be the little triangle "pennant" on the back if there were.  The one from fuselage to stabilizer is IFF, and I think I can just barely see it in this photo.

Many thank's GB, the kit has the "pennant" molded but it's easily modified and the flaps have been fixed in the up position so that

answer's the question on the doors.

2 minutes ago, stever219 said:

If you mean the small door near the trailing edge that's the flap position indicator; don't forget Spitfire flaps are either fully up or fully down so if that door's open they're down.

The undercarriage position indicator is a small pin which I think is located just aft of the front spar and midway between the undercarriage pintle fairing and the bulges skin over the wheel well.

Spitfires lost the aerial wire from mast to fin when the TR.9 radios were replaced with later VHF sets in (early?) 1941, the aerials for which were built into the mast itself.  The wires from fuselage to tailplane are for early IFF sets.  If I remember correctly these aerial wires were replaced by an underwing whip aerial in later aircraft.

Thanks for the info Stever!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Many thank's GB, the kit has the "pennant" molded but it's easily modified...

Glad to help.  Notice that the bracket that the "pennant" bolts to remains- you can see it as a little "protrusion" on the mast.

53 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Glad to help.  Notice that the bracket that the "pennant" bolts to remains- you can see it as a little "protrusion" on the mast.

Thanks again GB just trimmed it and left a little bit on.just a few jobs left canopy painting mainly.

20210110_150724

• Like 5

Hi Steve, as gingerbob said you can just about see the IFF wire from the fuselage to the tail plane, you can see where it runs from in the red centre of the fuselage roundel in the 10 o'clock position.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, spitfire said:

see the IFF wire from the fuselage to the tail plane

And here is some more info on the port IFF aerial wire entry location into the roundel as Dennis @spitfire said. Just to the rear of Frame 14 near the radio compartment.  

Spitfire IFF Aerial Wire Fwd Socket Location

The starboard aerial wire entry appears to enter at the same location on the starboard side. Good image here http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-masts-and-aerials.html/2

Ray

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spitfire said:

Hi Steve, as gingerbob said you can just about see the IFF wire from the fuselage to the tail plane, you can see where it runs from in the red centre of the fuselage roundel in the 10 o'clock position.

Cheers

Dennis

I see it now thank's Dennis.

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

And here is some more info on the port IFF aerial wire entry location into the roundel as Dennis @spitfire said. Just to the rear of Frame 14 near the radio compartment.  

Great stuff Ray many thank's.

Your build and painting/weathering is great and so much better than I could achieve so I feel rather reluctant to suggest something that looks a bit odd, but there again I may well have this wrong. It's just that on the pilot's access door the crow bar seems to be located underneath the door structure whereas I've only ever seen it lying on top so that it could be quickly removed if/when needed.

As I say it could be my error so if this is the case then please ignore.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1

Your Spit looks excellent Steve,.... but one of the main problems with this kit is the windscreen,,,,,, as it sort of depicts the early style rounded one used on Mk.I`s and early Mk.V`s,..... but those serving overseas had the later style fitted which had slab sided glazing which has a straight lower edge and internal armoured windscreen panel! 

• Like 1

Really nice build Steve.

21 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Is that opening above the 'N' on AN-V above a flare port? Wasn't it covered with a doped fabric patch?

To Mike, yes it is. Although Edgar use to like the correction to the official name "upward-firing recognition device". You can see the patch over the port on the second aircraft AN-W. Whether it was a doped patch or a re-purposed adhesive tape patch for the gun muzzles I don't know. The subject was touched on here:

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, tonyot said:

Your Spit looks excellent Steve,.... but one of the main problems with this kit is the windscreen,,,,,, as it sort of depicts the early style rounded one used on Mk.I`s and early Mk.V`s,..... but those serving overseas had the later style fitted which had slab sided glazing which has a straight lower edge and internal armoured windscreen panel! 

And also the wheel's are wrong Tony,wartime photo's of this squadrons aircraft show solid hubs.

21 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Is that opening above the 'N' on AN-V above a flare port? Wasn't it covered with a doped fabric patch? Just curious!

Mike

Nice one Mike I'll add that to the kit.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

As I say it could be my error so if this is the case then please ignore.

Thank's Colin you were correct the pilot would have great difficulty using the croowbar as Trumpeter molded it,now corrected.