Wehrmacht Scouts - Russia 1943, 1/35

robgizlu

I've bult Royal Navy ships for the last few years and normally hang out in the Maritime section, but several years back I built armour and tried to improve my figure detailing and painting skills.

These sat in a box and the digipics associated indicate that I began these in 2013, only to be abandoned!

I recall trying a dio in a tin lid that failed dismally and they were set aside

I've an abiding interst in wartime camo schemes, unforms, AFVs, ships, you name it.  I  like colour.

The inspiration was this picture

Scan0024

2 Wehrmacht scouts on the Russian front in a spring thaw.  The camouflage jackets suggest 1943 onwards.  The figure on the left wears a double sided winter Sumpfmuster Wintertarnanzug jacket - likely 1943 style camo and the figure on the right is either wearing the same or a Splittermuster jacket.  His trousers are again either one of the 2 schemes or less likely Italian Italienisches-tarnmuster.

These pics got dredged from an old Storage hard drive.

DSCF4406

DSCF4405

DSCF4404

The ponies derive from the Masterbox "American Civil War series".  I cant recall from which Dragon set the torsos and legs came.  The rudimentary sculpting is done with Magic-sculp.

Heads are from where elese - Hornet.

They got painted to a point before being discarded.  I remember looking closely at horse painting

2021 01 10_1117

2021 01 10_1118

2021 01 10_1119

2021 01 10_1120

As a bit of a break from nautical modlling I'm going to have a try at finishing these.

These stirrups arrived from historex to scurry the project along.

2021 01 10_1121

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Matt Parvis said:

I remember this project! Looking forward to seeing it progress once more.

Matt

Hiya Matt - 7 yrs ago!!

Thanks for looking in - it's odd painting figures again - I'd forgotten how long it takes.

I decide to go for Sumpfmuster 1943 on the left hand figure - Trying to decide what base colour to use is always difficult - The variation in tones is enormous, from pale sand to almost  cedar brown

2021 01 12_1143

2021 01 12_1144

The Sumpfmuster pattern is a minor nightmare and despite practsing on a spare figure first, the result is less than I'd hoped for.  The trick is to use very dilute paint with glaze medium and be "loose" unlike with the  Splittermuster that's coming up.

Too much paint and the effect becomes overwhelming, the effect is to get the "halo" that the originals were printed with

2021 01 12_1124

2021 01 12_1122

The end result ends up being impressionistic rather than "literal".

2021 01 12_1134

2021 01 12_1125

2021 01 12_1127

The second figure needed a face repaint

2021 01 12_1139

And I elected to use both green and lighter earth shades on the  Splittermuster

2021 01 12_1140

3 hours painting later ets us to this

2021 01 12_1133

2021 01 12_1132

A considerably better effort than the Sumpfmuster

And this simple base got delivered today.  Perfect size and next to nothing in cost terms

2021 01 12_1135

2021 01 12_1136

I went to get my acrylic mud out but very sadly it had all dried up:doh:

So a quick build slows to await delivery of some substitute

And looking through my cupbards, I found this where some of the pieces came from and of course there were some etched stirrups in the box :stupid:

2021 01 12_1153

The figures certainly work better from a distance - macro photography is a cruel old beast :whistle:

More soon when some mud arrives.

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 12

Trial base which I'm broadly happy with.

2021 01 17_1157

Seeing the camo int he shots above made me go back and rework it on both figures

2021 01 17_1161

2021 01 17_1168

And horses tails.  The plastic kit bits neever look quite right so I lifted some thread from the needlework box and attempted to tease it out from it's ravelled norm to get to this which is OKish

2021 01 17_1162

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Matt Parvis said:

Looking good Rob. 

The tails look a little fuzzy to me. I wonder if some PVA thinned with water and brushed over them might knock down some of the fuzz?

Matt 

I agree Matt - but I've been puzzling what to use.  Too much and its looking matted and manky - je vais reflechir 

Rob

Thanks Matt - For next time as I'd already CA'ed the tails in.

The base was prepared with some AK scenic products that are easy and very convenient to use...

2021 01 22_1200

2021 01 22_1201

2021 01 22_1203

The Dragon etch stirrups were fitted 

2021 01 22_1181

Some Archer dry decals were used showing Recce troops

2021 01 22_1178

And finally some snow products with an attempt to capture thaw conditions

2021 01 22_1184

2021 01 22_1183

And finally EZ line was used for reins - a little thick but easier to use than cut lead foil.

RFI now up

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 12

That is looking rather good Rob like what you have done with the base must say though when I first saw the wet mud stuff I was reaching for the doggy poop bags  :poop:

That ice stuff is very convincing looks just like what I can see from my window best put the heating on I am starting to feel cold  :cold:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/22/2021 at 9:34 AM, robgizlu said:

Thanks Matt - For next time as I'd already CA'ed the tails in.

Got more horses planned? 

For the reins, one thing I have taken to doing for rifle slings, so very similar to reins, is to lay lead wire on the bench and roll over it to flatten it out. It can be a little fragile, but, it has no spring so stays exactly where you put it.

Matt

4 minutes ago, Matt Parvis said:

Got more horses planned? 

For the reins, one thing I have taken to doing for rifle slings, so very similar to reins, is to lay lead wire on the bench and roll over it to flatten it out. It can be a little fragile, but, it has no spring so stays exactly where you put it.

Matt

Wish I'd asked!!!!

Thanks Matt - that is definitely one to remember

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I didn't think I'd find you in here Rob! What a great couple of figures and horses. I dabbled in figures years ago (still have a few in the stash, plus a handful of part finished jobbies) Seeing those Historex parts brought back memories.

Really like the camouflage smocks, there a=have come out so well.

Terry

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice Rob, I love the figures and setting ! I recognize at least one Hornet head, the Masterbox horses and the Dragon Cossack kit 🙂. Dragon have released quite a few horse kits over the years but most Dragon horses have very awkward and unnatural leg positions. Many years ago I built this one, the reins are made from paper :

rDJ8f9h.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 1