Shapeways Alfa 158 engine & grill upgrade

Aster Builder

As folks may have seen elsewhere I've just obtained a Merit Alfa 158 kit and am delighted with it. I think it will make the basis of a nice model.

As I prepare to start the build one of our members introduced me to the Shapeways upgrade for the engine and grill. Having studied this I read that there is an added note about the product being brittle. As I'm new to 3D printed products I wonder if anyone is able to comment on this note and in particular how suitable it will be on a display model.

Interesting to see as I've built the kit OOB. I have recently bought other 1/24 pieces from Shapeways and been impressed with the quality.

I use Shapeways products printed in their Smoothest Detail Resin. It perhaps isn't as forgiving as styrene just be careful and if needed use a fine saw to cut parts rather than trying to press with a knife blade and don't try to bend or force it into place. It sands ok too but wear a mask and prime with an automotive plastic primer.

On 11/01/2021 at 14:02, Aster Builder said:

Need to look for the Fernando Pinto wheel set next for the Alfa. Any experience of these folks?

I really like Fernando Pinto's work, and not least his wire wheels. I haven't handled the specific wheels for your Alfa, but here are two of my build threads where you can see more of his wire wheels:

• Like 1

On 11/01/2021 at 13:02, Aster Builder said:

Glad to hear positive response about Shapeways products. If its as good as the illustration on the website I will be well pleased. 

Need to look for the Fernando Pinto wheel set next for the Alfa. Any experience of these folks?

I have a FPM kit in the stash, it's the 1:24 Ferrari 250GT SWB Bertone and the wire wheels are exquisite, I thought I had a better photo but here's the one picture I've taken.

y4m4ku3nAKKPdSoRRi2xHtVNYvDgXg7heanc3AC8

• Like 1

As I plan to start work more and more questions occur to me as a reborn vintage race car builder. Fifty years is a big gap!

The  technical changes that have come about in both construction materials and the glues used in our models have been extensive. In the aircraft and ship models built during the intervening years I have mostly used MEC applied using a fine brush. This is used to join most parts as with the plastic used in most of these kits, a plastic weld is achieved. However, in later years with kits with both plastic and metal parts MEC has continued to be used combined with epoxy resin and or superglues where metals are added.

I wonder what you advise when glueing the 3D produced Shipways grill and engine into the old plastic material used in the Merit kits of the early '60s.

I'm rapidly reaching the point where my Canadian friends in the G1 arena would have said 'fish or cut bate'!

On 11/01/2021 at 11:02, mbdesignart said:

I use Shapeways products printed in their Smoothest Detail Resin. It perhaps isn't as forgiving as styrene just be careful and if needed use a fine saw to cut parts rather than trying to press with a knife blade and don't try to bend or force it into place. It sands ok too but wear a mask and prime with an automotive plastic primer.

Good tips so thank you very much. It would seem that superglue and or epoxy resin glues are best with this resin material.

On 10/01/2021 at 22:44, PatW said:

Interesting to see as I've built the kit OOB. I have recently bought other 1/24 pieces from Shapeways and been impressed with the quality.

Excuse my ignorance please! What is OOB

Now that the upgrade part has been delivered in an amazing time of less than a week, I now have to work out how to fit it.

There are no recommendations or instructions for fitting issued by Shapeways. The new grill is fixed by a sprue-like  extension from the front of the engine and I assume is arranged to be exactly the right distance to fit inside the kit nose. Of course, the moulded dummy grill needs to be cut out of the kit part to allow the new grill to fit in. Does anyone have experience of the new upgraded part and can confirm I'm right in my assumption? I'd hate to ruin such a lovely bit of 3D printing!

On 1/16/2021 at 11:16 AM, Aster Builder said:

Good tips so thank you very much. It would seem that superglue and or epoxy resin glues are best with this resin material.

I use superglue as the parts are generally lightweight. For heavy, load bearing parts epoxy may be preferable. Some times there are support posts/sprues attached to parts as part of the build/print process. I'm sure you will find out if any bits require trimming when test fitted. Pitty the part didn't come with some instructions. I would assume it is the designer's responsibility to issue instructions rather than Shapeway's themselves when purchased via Shapeways Marketplace.

It always helps to post a photo of the part when seeking guidance for modification.

I always now use this stuff-the  Weldbond,that is . Since I found it a couple of years ago I barely use anything else now. This is perfect for well anything really,but I make mostly resin and metal kits and this stuff is just perfect.it's like a PVA but a lot stronger,dries clear and you can can spread it as a gap filler. 

spacer.png

This one's a bit big so I use the stick from a hamburger restaurant,can't remember which one now! The red spout doesn't work so I take the lid off. I 'borrowed ' the first one I got from my son in law,and got this one from eBay it's the only size I could get.Hope this helps as an idea? Chris.