F6F-5K Hellcat + XAAM-N-2 Sparrow I 1/144 (Platz)

Some time ago I was designing turned/PE missiles that are now Shelf Oddity mainstay. I also did the design for 3d print of Sparrow I missile back then. The F7U Cutlass or F3H Demon that would best accommodate the early pointy Sparrow are still on wish list. At some point however I bumped into the following pictures:
ACtC-3c5clSz7Tduno2W0ftGtdvD7MTKEPpgODPb

ACtC-3dQr4A6a4MR2Kdc40tr_0cZTa1I8AXqpUvA

ACtC-3cxThBj5V7csSp-n6m5Lm9UhO8xFKyn7kU-

Here we are: late 1940s / early 1950s, Point Mugu Test Center - Naval Air Station west of Los Angeles. First Sparrow missile, named XAAM-N-2 (X for experimental, A for air launched, another A for air target, M for missile, N as Navy and 2 - well - number two) is casually tested on F6F Hellcat, one that is well outside its color comfort zone (as indicated by further research).
Perfect, isn't it?

After theWW2 the dawn of jets saw Hellcats quickly shifted to secondary/support roles. Fortunately the aircraft was designed in traditional Grumman fashion - sturdy, tough and capable of taking abuse. The test machine was F6F-5K (drone) converted back to be piloted. Steel blast shield was added to the cabin wall in expectance of test missile bahaving unexpectedly. The regular centerline fuel tank was substituted by a pod containing cameras, pylon fitted to the right wing and there it was.
The (X)AAM-N-2 Sparrow I  was much more pointy than its later variants. Much faster looking. Hugely cumbersome homing process required the pilot to maintain the target locked throughout the whole flight of the missile. It found very limited use in late 1950s on F7U Cutlass and F3H Demon but was quickly phased out and replaced by semi-active homing Sparrow III (AIM-7B).

This is Platz kit which means good fit, good detail, whatever's faulty is my own contribution. 
Of course no manufacturer does such exotic one-offs, therefore own input was required with regard to:
- missile (3d print)
- pylon (plastic sheet)
- centerline pod (plastic sprue+some small bits)
- lengthened tailwheel leg (brass rod)
- decals (custom printed in MF Zone)
- blast shield (aluminium foil)

The model:
ACtC-3cr_ocuNe5qGziPc-FbMG9l9KhHn4QwqH1u

ACtC-3fsiUzjlntOuft318y5vNJ3h1WGkHSt-ylH

ACtC-3elmRtC13bUj1fsC4emxzSR5Fl8h-XoXMUG

ACtC-3ej_t9MZIOLMp-sN8kYychK34vSnq9ob307

ACtC-3dc2tkvNQOCFVGGxKb-cb9eNm8m1xfN9Imo

img%5D

ACtC-3eL1d1AeoU1diFLLADePpgyTtBavRuse9Jh

ACtC-3c4lgNXkro5JPQdMi6iJ8UAYqa4-yV6utfX

ACtC-3d652C-lJ9t-g-8ora0E-7YXvyAmyx-LQ0k

ACtC-3dRF_4JVa-zIem_lqHirVUi7WOh82F16fNv

ACtC-3cZHwaPaOXNRRhOT0-91h3Ux4SpFr2GB24f

ACtC-3f_vxbodbpI-yRxHGqvTew8Fo-dqeNapH3I

Thanks!

Edited by Lejgo_inc
  • Like 13

• Lejgo_inc changed the title to F6F-5K Hellcat + XAAM-N-2 Sparrow I 1/144 (Platz)