Cleaning the noozle of my Iwata CR

KonaDawg

Hello all,

My airbrush is not spraying well at the moment (can't get thin lines) and was going to immerse the needle, nozzle cap, needle cap and nozzle in cellulose thinners.  Would this be a bad idea?  I noticed there was a delicate looking red seal/coating on the thread end of the nozzle and wondered if this would be damaged?  Anyone with a similar brush tried this?  Many thanks for any replies.

2 hours ago, KonaDawg said:

Hello all,

My airbrush is not spraying well at the moment (can't get thin lines) and was going to immerse the needle, nozzle cap, needle cap and nozzle in cellulose thinners.  Would this be a bad idea?  I noticed there was a delicate looking red seal/coating on the thread end of the nozzle and wondered if this would be damaged?  Anyone with a similar brush tried this?  Many thanks for any replies.

I have the same airbrush and find it needs regular cleaning. I strip it and clean the needle with cellulose and soak the cap and nozzle in the same but only for short periods. I’ve also used an ultrasonic cleaner to soak the body & stripped out parts to remove some of the deeper crud. 

It’s quite easy to work on and seems quite robust to me. A scheme of the parts breakdown is always good to have to hand when putting it back together.

Edge

• Like 1

Hi,

Yeah, its pretty easy but I hadn't ever taken the nozzle off so was a bit wary.  In the end I just used some all purpose clear to soak the bits in for an hour.  Seems fine now.  Thanks for your replies!

Edited by KonaDawg

There's always this:

https://www.graphicair.co.uk/product/iwata-airbrush-cleaning-kit/

Available in lots of places & has almost everything you need to strip & clean an airbrush. Probably not enough if it's gunged up enough to need a soak, but should keep on top of things in between sessions. I have one & use the wipes & pipe cleaners a lot plus the small tool to remove the nozzle is really handy and prevents damage.

Edge

• Like 2

You can get a pack a airbrush pipe cleaners (littletools) but be aware only the smallest is any use. I regularly remove the tip to clean the inside forward of the cup. The tip can be cleaned using small brush or the corner of a tissue twisted to a fine point and moisten with cellulose thinners. 

• Like 1

I have the Iwata cleaning kit - in my opinion the only thing of any value in there is the nozzle wrench - it is much safer to use on the tiny Iwata nozzles than the spanner that comes with the airbrush.

The rest - well it is okay but nothing that you can't buy a lot cheaper elsewhere.

The magnifier is cheaply made - I have found that on the few occasions that I have tried to use it I have had to take it apart to adjust and clean the electrical contacts so that the light works.

The pipe cleaners are just pipe cleaners.

The brushes are just inter-dent brushes.

The cleaner - not as strong as cellulose.

The lube - you may have some anyway with your brush and some say it is not so good as it goes gummy with time (can't say I am seen that).

There is no reamer.

If you have a stubbon dried blockage in the nozzle I don't think the Iwata kit would be that much use to be honest.  It's okay for general mild regular cleaning but you can achieve that much more cheaply but not so good for tough jobs.

The wrench is good though.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 2

On 1/10/2021 at 10:48 AM, KonaDawg said:

Hello all,

The red coating on the thread is just a liquid sealing fluid they put on when they assemble them, just get a small bees wax block and dab a bit on the thread before re assembly. Just helps to seal the threads

I have the Iwata cleaning kit, yes costly but everything you need to strip it down and the needle seal tools are ideal to adjust the seals tension

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nheather said:

I have the Iwata cleaning kit - in my opinion the only thing of any value in there is the nozzle wrench - it is much safer to use on the tiny Iwata nozzles than the spanner that comes with the airbrush.

The rest - well it is okay but nothing that you can't buy a lot cheaper elsewhere.

The magnifier is cheaply made - I have found that on the few occasions that I have tried to use it I have had to take it apart to adjust and clean the electrical contacts so that the light works.

The pipe cleaners are just pipe cleaners.

The brushes are just inter-dent brushes.

The cleaner - not as strong as cellulose.

The lube - you may have some anyway with your brush and some say it is not so good as it goes gummy with time (can't say I am seen that).

There is no reamer.

If you have a stubbon dried blockage in the nozzle I don't think the Iwata kit would be that much use to be honest.  It's okay for general mild regular cleaning but you can achieve that much more cheaply but not so good for tough jobs.

The wrench is good though.

Cheers,

Nigel

This.👍

The box and wrench are nice. The rest are not worth the money. A disappointing product from a good company.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, colin said:

The red coating on the thread is just a liquid sealing fluid they put on when they assemble them, just get a small bees wax block and dab a bit on the thread before re assembly. Just helps to seal the threads

I have the Iwata cleaning kit, yes costly but everything you need to strip it down and the needle seal tools are ideal to adjust the seals tension

A thought on this.  Can't say I have ever seen any thread sealant on my two Iwata airbrushes but I am aware of the purpose.  But if it is so important to replace when reassembling why isn't in the Iwata cleaning set - why do you have to go and buy need was separately.  This is an example why I'm not that impressed with the cleaning kit - in my opinion it only covers basic gentle cleaning which is fine but you can achieve that much cheaper.

My personal experience - I have the Iwata cleaning set but on top of that I have felt the need to buy 

Bees Wax

Liquid Reamer

A cleaning brush and reamer set

To be fair, the bees wax is not for my Iwatas, never had the need, it was to try and make good a cheap Chinese clone.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

Yeah, I had a look at the cleaning set and didnt think much of it.  The red coating just seemed to be paint build up...🤔  I cleaned the thread and looking at others on the Iwata site, they do not seem to have any red sealant.  Perhaps its a thing that comes with a new airbrush?  I'll get some bee's wax. Cheers all.

The thread sealant was also on my Tamiya airbrushes, The Iwata cleaning kit does everything I need for all my airbrushes, trigger air valve tool, nozzel tool, grips, needle seal screwdrivers x 2, which allow you to set the tension on the needle.  Never touch my airbrush nozzels with a brush/reamer if they need a clean, which they seldom seem to need I use a paper dental points.

Buy what your happy with.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 8:23 PM, nheather said:

But if it is so important to replace when reassembling why isn't in the Iwata cleaning set

The thread sealant is important depending on the type of seal provided by the airbrush for the air cap. If you have an air cap without an o-ring seal, like I do in my HP-B Plus, and you crack the seal during removal then a suitable replacement sealant is needed. When you reassemble, put some soapy water around the join where it butts up against the main airbrush body, operate the airbrush and check for bubbles. If you have none then nothing else needed. If you do, and depending on the amount of leakage, you will have less pressure available to drive air exit velocity at the nozzle and a reduction in the pressure drop needed to draw paint at the needle orifice. Worst case not drawing paint at at all or maybe sputtering. Best case you may not notice. It is best to replace the seal if the seal is broken. 

airbrush 1

I did not crack the seal for the photo as all is good at the moment. If I was home I would use a Loctite liquid thread sealant. As I am working away, I use what is at hand. In this case Windsor & Newton Art Masking Fluid. (EDIT: Interesting what you think of when you make a post, I wondered if the W&N product is ammonia based so I have since removed it)  I have heard a number of recommendations for Beeswax. Sounds a good option although I have not used it myself.

You do not need a thread sealant if there is an O-Ring provided for the air cap seal and thread sealant may work against you in not allowing the air cap to seat properly. The HP-CS uses the air cap to centralise the brass body holding the nozzle. In this case, all that is needed is everything clean and an O-Ring in good condition. I firm hand tighten the air cap against the O-Ring seal. Here is the HP-CS with the air cap removed. Ignore the scary hands in the reflected image. 

airbrush 2

In terms of cleaning, I am very conscious of mechanical damage so in the first instance I will try chemical cleaning such as Mr Hobby Tool Cleaner. Great product, but has so-so performance with the latex acrylics and for this I prefer the Lifecolor product. I use soft microbrushes if I need to get inside. This is rare as I never purposely shoot the paint cup dry and never leave paint in an airbrush for more than 15 minutes without heavily diluting with the appropriate thinners. I clean the needle with every colour change and end of session. 

Be very aware of cleaning actually introducing other problems like the air cap seal. The you start going round in circles hunting for root cause.

On 1/10/2021 at 9:48 PM, KonaDawg said:

can't get thin lines

To the OP, I recently had the same problem and it baffled me. I am fastidious in my air brush cleaning and thought it was me, maybe I was losing my touch. I actually found a microball of what seemed like flush in the nozzle of my HP-B. I removed it with a microbrush and instantly problems gone.

Ray  

Edited by Ray_W
Updated information
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 7:30 PM, colin said:

The thread sealant was also on my Tamiya airbrushes, The Iwata cleaning kit does everything I need for all my airbrushes, trigger air valve tool, nozzel tool, grips, needle seal screwdrivers x 2, which allow you to set the tension on the needle.  Never touch my airbrush nozzels with a brush/reamer if they need a clean, which they seldom seem to need I use a paper dental points.

Buy what your happy with.

Are we talking about the same thing or has it changed since I bought mine.  What are the grips and needle seal screwdrivers - nothing fitting that description in my set.  Mine has

Nozzle Wrench - I like this

LED Magnifier - could be good but unfortunately, poorly made - I have to clean and bend the switch contacts to get the LED to work each time I use it

Cleaning Brushes - fine but they are just interdental brushes

Pipe cleaners - fine, but they are just pipe cleaners

Super Lube - some say it is good, some say it gums up - whatever you might already have a tube or two with airbrushes purchase - I have three tubes now

Airbrush cleaner - fine but gentle and a tiny bottle - you probably already have a bigger bottle already -  if not IPA or acetone will do the job

Wipes - fine but kitchen towel and IPA or the Poundland spectacle wipes do the same thing

Box - it's a plastic box

I'm not saying the contents don't work, just that you could be paying a lot more than you need.  And as for really stubborn dried on paint - I don't think this kit will help much - some of it yes but you will be looking for other products.  I agree with you on the metal reamer, I have one but I would be very nervy about using it.  But the cleaner doesn't have the oomph - would need to use acetone (or liquid reamer - same thing in an aerosol).

Cheers,

Nigel

6 minutes ago, nheather said:

Are we talking about the same thing or has it changed since I bought mine.  What are the grips and needle seal screwdrivers 

Cheers,

Nigel

No, you're not!

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Iwata-Airbrush-Maintenance-Kit-IWCL-500.html

All the correct tools for stripping down your Iwata.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tank152 said:

No, you're not!

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Iwata-Airbrush-Maintenance-Kit-IWCL-500.html

All the correct tools for stripping down your Iwata.

Yep, totally different.

I was talking about this

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Iwata-Airbrush-Cleaning-Kit.html

Cheers,

Nigel