Small Scale RAF Puma +++ Finished +++

CliffB

Hi all.

My entry will be based on this Heller kit, converted to represent an Operation Granby Puma.

spacer.png

One of the perils of modeling in 1/100 scale is that regardless of what it may say on the box, you never really know what scale the plastic will be until you measure it.

Sometimes this works to your advantage (for example there's a range of UPC "OO/HO" kits that are actually 1/100), but sometimes it works against you - this Puma being a case in point.

By my reckoning it's actually around 1/115 scale.  This discrepency is sufficient to make it look very odd alongside my completed 1/100 choppers.

Notwithstanding this, I've decided to crack on regardless - I like the look of the Puma, I've found suitable decals in my spares box and, more importantly, I've already bought the paint ;)

The kit itself is quite neat.  There's not much detail, but you do at least get a cockpit bulkhead and seats (which is not always the case in this scale).

P1110882.JPG

From what I've noticed so far, it looks like I'm going to have to add sand filters, cabin steps and various lumps/antennae.  I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers

• Like 7

On 1/10/2021 at 12:31 PM, Hockeyboy76 said:

Looks like another challenge Cliff. Nothing to worry you though. 

Thanks H, (I think) :winkgrin:

It was a good feeling yesterday - my desk was clear and it was the start of the first Group Build of the new season :thumbsup2:

I managed to get a few hours on the Puma and this is where it's currently at.

P1120005.JPG

The kit goes together pretty well (even though there are no locating pins), with just a few dabs of filler required on some visible ejector pin and shrinkage marks.  I've left the cabin windows out as they are classic 'bottle glass'.  I'll use Kristal Klear instead, at the end.

Underneath, there was a bit of a step between the two fuselage halves so I've added a plasticard fillet.  I'll sand it back once the glue's fully set.

P1120006.JPG

Cheers

• Like 5

19 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Looking good so far @CliffB 👍 

17 hours ago, speedy said:

I wish mine would go together that quickly, keep going.

Thanks chaps :)

@speedy I've just had a good look through your build thread and it's outstanding.  It will be a great reference resource for me :thumbsup2:.

Whilst I clearly won't be adding anything like the amount of detail that you are, I've still spotted plenty of little mods/additions that I can make.

Here's the first!  30 seconds with a file and I've got a semi-circular cut-out in the side of a sponson.  Cheers :cheers:

P1120007.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks mate. It’s not only my effort with advice from others giving valuable info, so it’s satisfying to see it’s helpful to others👍.

However I think you could build 10 of these by the time I finish mine.....

• Haha 1

Some more progress today.  The sponsons and tailplane are now on and, inspired by @speedy and @Jabba, I've started to add the more significant lumps and bumps.

P1120008.JPG

I've limited myself to the sturdier additions, in the vain hope that they might survive intact until the end of the build ;)

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

Nice one, Cliff. There should be a square hole underneath where the load pole dangles. And the tail boom looks a bit short, but hey!

Is there a noseleg bay? For the intakes (PIP's as we called them) tube with a 'bullet' at the front would do at this scale.

Oblongs of black decal have been used before on them to represent the swirl panels.

• Like 1

Thanks @Pete in Lincs.  Without doubt, if you wanted to build an accurate Puma you wouldn't start with this kit!

No, there's no noseleg bay but the far bigger (and more noticeable), issue is the missing bay below the main rotor.  I did consider cutting out an opening, but ultimately that would have led me into more work than I really want to do on this kit.  I may live to regret that decision ;).

Thanks too for the tips on the PIPs -  I'll hopefully be moving on to the front of the aircraft today.

Cheers

• Like 1

Time for an update as, apart from a few flimsy antennae, I've now added all my Granby extras and am ready to prep for painting.

It would've been more sensible for me to have masked the canopy before adding the details, but I was enjoying myself far too much with the fiddly bits :winkgrin:.

P1120010.JPG

Cheers

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Jabba said:

Nice work on the modifications that you have carried out, some are not just Granby ones. This has come together well.

Thanks Jabba :thumbsup2:

I had time this afternoon to mask up the canopy.  The glazing has well defined framing, but unfortunately much of it is in the wrong place.   I've followed it, regardless.

P1120012.JPG

Tomorrow looks like it will be a painting day me - not only the Puma, but also the topcoat on our bedroom's skirting :S

Cheers

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, sammy da fish said:

Yes that’s looks the right colour, remember it was very Matt indeed and bugger to remove when we got back from Iraq.

sammy

Plus it was baked on by the time they got back to UK/RAFG and also we had carried out a few touch ups.

• Like 2

A combination of fading and filth will ensure it's the correct shade Cliff ;)  (Sounds as if I'm talking about my mind there...)

• Haha 3

Thanks @sammy da fish @Jabba @modelling minion @Col. and @Hockeyboy76 :)

I've used Xtracrylix which is pretty shiny.  I'll be sure to make it nice and matt with a top coat later, although I probably won't bake it on!

I've decided to finish it without stripes, partly because I prefer the plain look and also because it will be unweathered (so best to represent it as it was when new into theatre).

Cheers

• Like 2

I'm calling this one finished.  There's more detail that I could add, but I'm happy with this and at least I can still pick it up safely :winkgrin:

P1120024.JPG

The help and support that I've received along the way made life much easier for me, so thanks to all who contributed.  Thanks also to @Enzo Matrix for making this Group Build happen.

Cheers :cheers:

• Like 7