Hobbyboss 1/48 A-10

Bbdave

16 hours ago, Jabba said:

Looking very good now in one piece and good work on the gun.

Have you had a look here for pictures of aircraft with weapons?:-https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/a-10.html

And here for load outs?:- https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/loadout/a-10.html

Excellent thanks that'll make a more realistic load I think the instructions would have me stick the lot on!

Dave

On 13/02/2021 at 19:16, Jabba said:

Looking very good now in one piece and good work on the gun.

Have you had a look here for pictures of aircraft with weapons?:-https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/a-10.html

And here for load outs?:- https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/loadout/a-10.html

On the loadout chart is the right and left viewed from the front or back? And do I assume there are 4 mk-82s per side as the rack can hold 6?.

Dave

Things progressing a new canopy is on its way. I've turned my attention to the things that go bang!. Thanks to Jabba for pointing me towards the loadout chart I'm not sure the multiple mk 82 ejector rack is correct i can only find reference to triple racks (get me knowing what these things are) but they are all I have.

2021-02-20_11-18-10

Dave

Edited by Bbdave
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Bbdave said:

On the loadout chart is the right and left viewed from the front or back? And do I assume there are 4 mk-82s per side as the rack can hold 6?.

Dave

The ALQ-119 ECM pod is typically on the pilot's right, and AIM-9 missiles on his left

The MER was not used in Desert Storm

Edited by Benner

5 minutes ago, Benner said:

The ALQ-119 ECM pod is typically on the pilot's right, and AIM-9 missiles on his left

The MER was not used in Desert Storm

Thanks so when the chart says right left and bottom on the rack is the right and left from the pilots point of view?

Dave

9 minutes ago, Bbdave said:

Thanks so when the chart says right left and bottom on the rack is the right and left from the pilots point of view?

Dave

I see how those charts can be a bit confusing, even I had to think about it when looking at them 

imagine if you are looking at the chart, you are standing in front of the plane looking at it.  That's how the chart's perspective is done.  So, no, not pilots point of view.

Also, where it says "no pylon".   The pylon should be there, it just didn't have something hanging on it.

Edited by Benner

39 minutes ago, Benner said:

I see how those charts can be a bit confusing, even I had to think about it when looking at them 

imagine if you are looking at the chart, you are standing in front of the plane looking at it.  That's how the chart's perspective is done.  So, no, not pilots point of view.

Also, where it says "no pylon".   The pylon should be there, it just didn't have something hanging on it.

Thanks yes I have looked at pictures and seen that the pylons are left empty, it seems strange that the kit comes with a desert storm decal option but the weapons mounts are wrong.

I am new to all these things and normally do as I'm told in the instructions but have been doing some looking for this build.

Dave

Another first for me is the mottling technique (I think that's what its called) my airbrush threw a wobbly for the first time but I did try flow improver so it may be that which caused the paint to splatter. Hopefully it won't matter when the final camo goes on 🤞.

2021-02-20_04-42-49

Dave

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bbdave said:

I am new to all these things and normally do as I'm told in the instructions but have been doing some looking for this build.

Dave

look'n good, especially if new to all these things 👍  Interesting mottling technique, never tried doing that.  Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

I'm one of those modelers that if it looks good to me, and I'm satisfied, good enough for me :)

Edited by Benner

Looking very good with that mottling effect.

Unfortunately Kit manufacturers do not do any or much investigating into what is actually/accurately carried by aircraft especially during a war. I think that they may look at a pamphlet that the manufacturer of the aircraft says that it can carry but not all at once and go with that, or have seen those weapons displays at air shows.

4 hours ago, Bbdave said:

Another first for me is the mottling technique (I think that's what its called) my airbrush threw a wobbly for the first time but I did try flow improver so it may be that which caused the paint to splatter. Hopefully it won't matter when the final camo goes on 🤞.

2021-02-20_04-42-49

Dave

Hi Dave, apologies for sleeping in class, but what exactly is the "mottling" good for? 

10 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Hi Dave, apologies for sleeping in class, but what exactly is the "mottling" good for? 

Well apparently as I spray the top coat  as l spray it will provide subtle lighter and darker patches instead of an even flat colour the catch is, if I spray too much it'll disappear and be a waste of time and I have to spray the patches individually opposed to doing the whole thing green then mask of etc. etc..

I haven't built much so I like to try something new on each build. The airbrush is capable of it the paint is capable of it, looks like its all down to me 😬.

Dave

Edited by Bbdave

On 20/02/2021 at 21:57, desert falcon said:

I have put down the first green and it does create variation but there is a fine line between just seeing it and obliterating it but I'm spraying very fine coats to build up the colour it is more visable in the flesh than in the picture. Let's see how the next green goes on spraying and accuracy might be a step too far though it'd be nice not having to mask.

2021-02-27_09-05-25

Dave

• Like 3

Thanks for showing Dave, I can appreciate that it's a delicate matter to paint it. And as you mentioned further above, it's always good to experiment and try something new. My own contribution for this GB is only my third overall build to do in +30 years, so I'm definitely learning myself.

Keep on the good (paint) work!

A busy day today but I think the camo is done it looks different in the sunshine to under my daylight lamp 😶. I'll see what it looks like in the morning when its all dry.

I've been spending more money and bought some eduard resin AIM-9s to try to get the weapons looking better.

2021-02-27_05-24-06

2021-02-27_07-49-39

Dave

Edited by Bbdave
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Bbdave said:

I think the camo is done it looks different in the sunshine to under my daylight lamp 

Oh yes, I also bought a daylight lamp assuming it would help me to avoid (unpleasant) surpprises when I bring kit outside after the paint job... yet it is still artificial light. 

On 28/02/2021 at 06:29, Pappy said:

Wow, that second green (the FS34092  equivalent) has a very bluish look to it, at least on my monitor

Pappy

It is USAF green it may be the way it looks in pictures we'll see but I'm not spraying it again 😐

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

OK I'm going to try and get some of this done mojo is a bit low at the moment, my father died suddenly a couple of weeks ago he was my modeling guru even though we liked different subjects we always discussed our builds and ideas so I'm trying to carry on but finding it difficult.

I tackled some of the weapons they're coming together OK I think I've bought some after market aim-9s but my white paint seems to be struggling to go off properly so I might just use the kit ones I've already painted. I also bought some triple mounts for the mk82s.

2021-03-16_06-36-03

2021-03-16_06-35-25

Dave

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your dad. The weapons look very good, just one thing A-10s only had Mavericks fitted at 1 per pylon on a rail during this conflict, they did not mount them on the triple carrier.

40 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Sorry to hear about your dad. The weapons look very good, just one thing A-10s only had Mavericks fitted at 1 per pylon on a rail during this conflict, they did not mount them on the triple carrier.

I was going by this loadout chart which shows two mounted on a triple rack,

https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/loadout/a-10.html

Also this,

https://www.whiteman.af.mil/News/Photos/igphoto/2001671910/

Dave

Edited by Bbdave
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Bbdave said:

I was going by this loadout chart which shows two mounted on a triple rack,

https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/loadout/a-10.html

Also this,

https://www.whiteman.af.mil/News/Photos/igphoto/2001671910/

Dave

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your dad. My sincere condolences.

Your A-10 and the ordnance look great.

I too thought that the triple launchrail rack for the Maverick had not been used. Interesting to know that it was used and I love that photograph.

Cheers, Stefan.

Almost there with this the decals silvered so still I trip up at the finish line oh well the weapons are going on so I'll see what she looks like in the morning and get the canopy unmasked.

2021-03-21_07-23-46

Dave