RAAF A3-40 Mirage IIIO - Kinetic 1/48 - *** COMPLETE ***

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Nearly there mate.

Thanks Craig,

I am happy with how it is turning out with the usual few minor irritations.  I have been busy with work so this has been a little bit of a stop/go project. For that reason it has seemed to take forever. Not like last year when, during the early lock down phase, there was plenty of time to just focus on a build - which, I think the Kinetic kit needs. All in all, I am looking forward to the finish post and starting the next project.

Ray

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

And what might that be?

StuG III in the Panzer III STGB. I hope to then hook back to the Australian and NZ GB before it ends with a Meteor or a P-51D. Fun to do a Scooter in the A-4 STGB and then there are the Bf 109 commitments. Oh so much. The list goes on and it's April already.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, basket said:

I just discovered your thread

I'm glad you like it. I am creeping to the finish line just needing a solid session to wrap it all up. Hopefully later today. Still some details to go. It does looks nice on its undercarriage. 

Mirage A3-40 Construction 101

Ray

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

always good when they aren't tail sitters

Hi Craig,

I went back and edited an earlier post as I forgot to mention that I glued some lead shot into the radome to be sure. 

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
Updated information
  • Like 1

Hello again.

Your thread will be one of my guidelines to fight with this model one day. ( 3 in fact ... )

I'm a total fan of your painting work which ideally copes with the kinetic " flabby " engraving.

• Like 2

Well I am calling this one done.  Not the easiest of builds due to the need for care with parts clean up and dry fitting and some Kinetic soft details, but the final result is very pleasing and captures that RAAF Mirage look that I was after.

Mirage A3-40 Construction 102

Mirage A3-40 Construction 103

Mirage A3-40 Construction 104

Mirage A3-40 Construction 105

Mirage A3-40 Construction 106

Mirage A3-40 Construction 107

Mirage A3-40 Construction 108

And now my favourite part, doing the aircraft comparisons - this time with the my MiG-21 from the Interceptor GB.

Mirage A3-40 Construction 109

Thanks to the hosts for their usual great enthusiasm and the BM contingent for following along offering advice and encouragement. 

I'll post some other pics in the gallery shortly and then it is time to get well and truly down to ground level and start playing in the dirt, well, snow and ice at least. Next up my winter StuG III.

Some pretty pictures in the gallery here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235086536-australian-and-new-zealand-gb-gallery/&do=findComment&comment=4046073

Ray 

Edited by Ray_W
Added Gallery Link
  • Like 8

• Ray_W changed the title to RAAF A3-40 Mirage IIIO - Kinetic 1/48 - *** COMPLETE ***
48 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

An excellent result Ray, absolutely fantastic.

I like the shot with the Mig-21, shows how comparable in size the two aircraft are.

You have certainly showed what is possible to achieve with the Kinetic kit and a lot of patience and skill.

Very well done mate.

Thanks Craig and thanks for the positive comments throughout the build.

I have to admit it was not one I my more enjoyable builds. The Kinetic kit needs patience and I think if I could of spent longer periods of time at the bench, without having to jump in and out due to other commitments, and thereby maintain focus, it would have been a more enjoyable experience. I always find when you finish a build you know every defect, frustration and irritation. You box the finished kit and put it aside and when you take it out, at some later time, you look at it and think, "what was I complaining about?"

If you took this kit and filled and re-scribed the panel lines and minimised or eliminated the rivetting you could would turn it into a masterpiece. Maybe in my next life. It has certainly satisfied my life-time penchant to build one of my favourite aircraft, a RAAF Mirage.

Ray

• Like 1

An excellent result Ray. The details around and in the cockpit really make a difference. And I agree with Craig, the Mirage looks great alongside the Mig-21.

• Thanks 1

@Johnson @franky boy 

Thanks Charlie and James for your kind remarks. 

@CaracalModels Great inspiration to try and do a reasonable job with such lovely decals. Thanks for providing two wonderful decal sets for Aussie Mirages. Having now got one Kinetic kit under my belt I will be, let's say, forewarned and forearmed for my F/A-18 build I will do later in the year. I then noted you are have coming soon "CD 48135: F/A-18 Hornets over Australia - Part 1".  Sounds like we'll be planning a marriage. 

Ray

• Like 2