RNZAF Corsair

This is my starting image of the plane I'm doing. It most likely isn't one my uncle flew. It will have to do as I don't have any war time images of him as he spent most of his life in the RAF in England 

and the families weren't that close. 

Corsair image1

• Like 7

Thanks guys. It is going to be interesting to see if I can give it that worn look. I built this kit or one like it back in the eighties. It was a present from my brother inlaw. He sadly took his own life a few year later. He was a really nice guy, so this is decated to him as well.

• Sad 2

A great choice of kit Greg and the family dedication you’ve just mentioned is quite touching. This Corsair kit is another 1/48 Tamiya classic and builds up extremely well. I’m sure you will do a great job and look forward to keeping track of your progress. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not yet Pat. However won't be long. I have got my feet wet over at the Maritime forum doing a 1/35 S-boot S-38. It will become a RC one.

I did manage to get my Me 163b-1 done in the Interceptor GB last week. I've also had a very difficult work project to do since Christmas.  I think I have finally got rid of it yesterday. I feel a lot more relaxed now.

I will be on to the Corsair in a week or two. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Pat. I don't see myself doing this one. I've been swept away by my marine project and work projects.  I'm finding having a large S-boot sitting on my coffee table rather intoxicating. So I will be sticking to the sea for a while. My Vosper is on the slow boat from the UK and I'm already thinking S-100 might be nice after that. Then there's the 1/200 Scharnhorst to start playing with. 

I don't want the Corsair to be a secondary build, which it would be at the moment. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Greg Law said:

What colour were the RNZAF Corsair cockpits?  If I remember they were different to the US ones. 

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I would think interior green ? I thought the New Zealand contracts were taken straight from USN production blocks

Hi Greg,

As Dennis said in his reply to you, RNZAF Corsair were stock USN supplied aircraft.

F4U-1's (A/Early D's) US Interior Green

Later F4U-1D/FG-1D's, US Interior Green, Black above consoles (sidewalls etc)

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I painted the cockpit and wheel wells etc with zinc chromate  over a nato black base. Next I will give it a coat of Tamiya cockpit green this should result with a yellow hue to the cockpit green that I'm after. Then it is just a case of adding the matt black areas and details. I'm going for a quick out of the box build with this one.

Once I have the cockpit done I will put up a progress image.

• Like 1

Hi Is a few images of the cockpit. I still have some touch ups to do once all the paint dries. 

I'm going for my usual worn look here. My tremor is partially bad at the moment so don't expect to higher quality from me. 

This is one of the few times I have used the kit decal for the instruments. I'm quite pleased with it. 

I also Like the effect I got by painting the cockpit green over the zinc chromate colour. In reality it isn't as strong as it looks here.

I'm going to add some P40N seat belts. Not correct I know but better than nothing. 

Corsair image3

Corsair image2

• Like 4

Looking good Greg. Colour looks fine and it will mostly get hidden away by the shadows once you close her up. I’m a fan of decal instruments and think they do a more than adequate job in 1/48 and the smaller scales. Nice progress mate.

Cheers.. Dave

Continuing with the rough and ready progress of this old Kiwi Corsair here is my progress from yesterday. 

I had a lot of trouble getting the outer wing panels to fit nicely and the flaps didn't like being set in the up position.

In the end I have set them drooped a little be down. All this has caused a rough out come. Lucky I always planned this as

a well used plane.

Corsair image4

After a coat of Mr 1000 it is looking a lot better now. 🙂

• Like 3

On 4/24/2021 at 9:07 PM, Greg Law said:

Hi Is a few images of the cockpit. I still have some touch ups to do once all the paint dries. 

I'm going for my usual worn look here. My tremor is partially bad at the moment so don't expect to higher quality from me. 

This is one of the few times I have used the kit decal for the instruments. I'm quite pleased with it. 

I also Like the effect I got by painting the cockpit green over the zinc chromate colour. In reality it isn't as strong as it looks here.

I'm going to add some P40N seat belts. Not correct I know but better than nothing. 

Corsair image3

Corsair image2

Hey Greg, that's some nice work you've got going on there!  Well done mate! :clap2:

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gary. I have just painted the Navy blue colour.

Funny story.  I bought Tamiya US blue colour the other day to do this model only to find when it was time to use it I couldn't find it. Then I suddenly remembered I have two draws of paints I hadn't looked it. That's  when I discovered the Aqueous Navy blue I had bought for this model years ago.

• Like 1