MFH 156 sharknose

Bounty

20210109_165409

Well ive decided to make a start on the 156.....this is my 1st venture into multi media kits but enjoying all the prep work associated with these kits

I only get about 2hrs an evening if im lucky to work on this, so i can see its going to be a long build.

Still a bit unsure with up loading photos so bare with me.

• Like 6

20210109_165929 (1)

Think i have got the hang of this photo thing.

Air brushed 1st part with a 2 part etch primer, 1st attempt came out of the brush like candy floss but after thinning down all went well.

I read on a thread somewhere it helps with the primer if you warm the parts.

• Like 8

No the parts have just been polished by hand with small wire brushes and some fine wire wool.

I did read something about magnetic polishers but i think you can achieve the correct finish with out them, never really had the use for one........only time will tell

zero paints metal etching primer, as i said before you need to thin them down.

As i said before the multi media kits are a first for me so a bit of a learning curve for  but i have found that the  preparation of the parts is quite rewarding although tedious at times.

I have a few air bubbles in the resin but nothing that cant be resolved.

• 1 month later...

I'm also making this kit.  I found the engine/gearbox didn't quite fit the frame.  I added a spacer between the engine and gearbox to get it to fit.

I also found that the petrol tank fillers didn't line up with part nos M105 and M104.  Parts V2 and V4, brake cooling vents were a problem too.  I ended up making my own, including making a small vacuum forming machine!

I have the Bugatti Type 35 to make next.  As MFH kits often need a fair bit of tweaking I'm going largely make it without printing it, then disassemble it to paint and put it back together.

21 hours ago, Nick851 said:

I'm also making this kit.  I found the engine/gearbox didn't quite fit the frame.  I added a spacer between the engine and gearbox to get it to fit.

I also found that the petrol tank fillers didn't line up with part nos M105 and M104.  Parts V2 and V4, brake cooling vents were a problem too.  I ended up making my own, including making a small vacuum forming machine!

I have the Bugatti Type 35 to make next.  As MFH kits often need a fair bit of tweaking I'm going largely make it without printing it, then disassemble it to paint and put it back together.

I must admit i have had a few problems with getting parts to align properly and for the money spent on the kit i was a bit surprised by the amount of work required to resolve the problems.

I have spent most of my modeling life building tamiya kits which in my opinion are second to none and as this is the first venture into multi media kits i wasnt sure what to expect, correcting problems is part of the enjoyment.

For me i have found it easier to build and modify sections as i go and have been maybe to sections of the build in front so as not to miss any holes etc.

Wish you all the best in your build  

• Like 1

Another great update, any info on mods and changes you have made as you go along will be gratefully received for when I build mine!

Any chance of bigger photos in the last pic post above?

Malc.

6 hours ago, Bounty said:

I must admit i have had a few problems with getting parts to align properly and for the money spent on the kit i was a bit surprised by the amount of work required to resolve the problems.

I have spent most of my modeling life building tamiya kits which in my opinion are second to none and as this is the first venture into multi media kits i wasnt sure what to expect, correcting problems is part of the enjoyment.

For me i have found it easier to build and modify sections as i go and have been maybe to sections of the build in front so as not to miss any holes etc.

Wish you all the best in your build  

This is my third MFH kit, 1st was the Lotus 79.  The lotus was a real pig to get everything to line up.  2nd was the Brough Superior, spoking the wheels wasn't easy as the rims needed drilling.  Generally everything fitted.  I had to check the thickness of the cylinder fins so that they were parallel, but in the end it looked really good.  I must post some pics sometime.

I have designed 4 multimedia O gauge locomotive kits in the past and you have to make allowances for the different materials shrinking during the production process.  I think MFH don't always get this right.  I have also produced the instructions for several kits - it can be a bit of a black art!  If you look on the DJH website https://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=3319 the Britannia in all black livery was made by me (Nick) and I did the instructions.

Your Shark Nose is looking good.  I think these MFH kits when they are completed have a much better 'feel' than Tamiya.

• Like 1

I’ve promised myself an MFH once I have completed my current Tyrrell build and once I’ve finished my JLTRT o gauge gwr tank which has been sitting in a cupboard 70% complete for 6 years.

So I will follow this with great interest.

I keep longingly looking at the MFH kits on HiroBoy, but always the price stops me in my tracks.

One day .... maybe.

Cheers,

Alan.

P.S. I have to get it past the family accountant ...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Nick851 said:

This is my third MFH kit, 1st was the Lotus 79.  The lotus was a real pig to get everything to line up.  2nd was the Brough Superior, spoking the wheels wasn't easy as the rims needed drilling.  Generally everything fitted.  I had to check the thickness of the cylinder fins so that they were parallel, but in the end it looked really good.  I must post some pics sometime.

I have designed 4 multimedia O gauge locomotive kits in the past and you have to make allowances for the different materials shrinking during the production process.  I think MFH don't always get this right.  I have also produced the instructions for several kits - it can be a bit of a black art!  If you look on the DJH website https://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=3319 the Britannia in all black livery was made by me (Nick) and I did the instructions.

Your Shark Nose is looking good.  I think these MFH kits when they are completed have a much better 'feel' than Tamiya.

The Britannia is a work of art nick

• Thanks 1