F-111G 1/72

My. F. One. Eleven. Is. FINISHED!

IMG_20220417_192057339.jpg?w=1352&ssl=1

In the end, the wings which I had been putting off for months turned out to be relatively straightforward. The mess with the glue is barely noticeable. The biggest problem, which I am pretty disappointed with, is that there's a distinct lean to one side. I can't figure out why - I think it's because the box on the inside that holds everything together must be slightly out of alignment.

IMG_20220417_192108033.jpg?w=1352&ssl=1

I tried really hard with this model - I took my time, I re-did things where they weren't good enough, and I did more than I normally would on certain steps where I usually take a short cut. It's a shame to have it out of basic alignment but I don't really see how I can fix it.

IMG_20220417_192119767.jpg?w=1352&ssl=1

But on balance I am pretty happy with this one. I am all set to get my hands on another F-111 kit now (the other one in the photos is the Esci/Italeri EF-111A which was a much easier build but doesn't look quite as refined as the Hasegawa one). Together with the ancient Heller Mirage IV it makes a good set up I reckon.

The stuff on the shelf below is my daughter's - today she asked to have some of the display shelf for her projects. The thing with all the cotton balls is actually her shot at a diorama of a space launch, which she spontaneously did one day. You can't see in the photo but she made a little capsule out of something and even wrapped it in gold foil. 

Anyway, I'll post some proper photos as soon as there's a sunny day.

• Like 5

That has come up nicely. The lean isn't obvious from those photos, the quality of finish is. 👍

I've never got around to delving into my box of this kit but obviously there are some things to take into account with alignment, something I'll need to watch out for, assuming I can remember this by the time I get to it. ;) :D

Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

f111_2.jpg?w=1352&ssl=1

Finally had a chance to take some proper photos of this one.

f111_5.jpg?w=1352&ssl=1

The airfield markings are courtesy of my 7 year old daughter who wanted to help with the photo shoot. She's all about realism - Dad, it doesn't look like an airport. Let me get my chalk and help you.

f111_4.jpg?w=1352&ssl=1

f111_6.jpg?w=1352&ssl=1

f111_1.jpg?w=1352&ssl=1

By the time she was done, we had my RAAF F-18 out plus some ground equipment and random airfield personnel...

Wrunway.jpg?w=1352&ssl=1

f111_7.jpg?w=1352&ssl=1

I've bought her the 1/72 F-18 Blue Angels boxing - she knows the Blue Angels because I took her to see them when she was 5 when we lived in DC. Hopefully that doesn't take her as long to build as this F-111 took me!

Thanks for following along!

• Like 4