Help with Zeropaints beige textured paint

JNGmodels124

Hi, 

I am having some trouble with Zeropaints beige textured paint.  I have applied the paint twice, having the same result.  First with Tamiya surface primer and then with Model Master enamel primer.  

The paint seems to crack after a few minutes.  What am I doing wrong?

Hope you can help me.  Thanks a lot.  I'll post some pics.

Welcome aboard! :clap2:

I have no experience with Zeropaints or a textured paint, but I wonder if perhaps you're applying too thick a coat? Their paint seems to have a consistent application method. To be sure, they recommend a higher air pressure and thicker application than I'm used to.

Hi @JNGmodels124

I've tried their charcoal textured paint and had similar cracking in places (e.g. in this thread here).

Seemed to work well for me on the seats there but crack a bit on the engine cover, but I had other primer adherence problems in that build.

What I'll try next time is rough sanding the areas first (you want texture), primer (lacquer based), then thin layers of the texture. I think (no expert) that when it's thick it pools and then shrinks back on drying possibly.

The rule of thumb with different coats as mentioned above is lacquer -> enamel -> acrylic, since you want less volatile thinners as you build up the layers (or you risk melting/reactivating the paint/primer underneath.

What are you attempting to texture - you could try what I did next in that build on the carpeted areas - apply enamel (since it's slow drying), then dust with 'micro-balloons' (tiny glass beads/bubbles) - just don't sneeze! Most of them fall off when dusting, so collect them on a piece of paper and save them for next time! After that I used a black acrylic wash to help define the texture.