F-100D, 309th TFS, Tuy Hoa, South Vietnam, 1967

Here is another COVID build which occupied me for about 5 months.  This is my first try using the SEA Tactical Paint Scheme.  The plane was mainly built OOB with the addition of the pilot figure.  Borrowed some bombs from another Trumpeter kit.  I have to say Trumpeter makes some really great 1/32 scale jet models.  Not exactly Tamiya, but easy enough to build with straightforward instructions and very good decals.  With a little effort, you can make some really nice models.  A word of caution!  If you see a Trumpeter kit you really like, GET IT!  They disappear pretty quickly and can take some research to find them.

The F-100 has the distinction of flying more missions than any other USAF aircraft during the Vietnam War.

Hope you enjoy! 

IMG_4221 (2)

IMG_4224 (2)

IMG_4230 (2)

IMG_4239 (2)

IMG_4225 (2)

IMG_4233 (2)

IMG_4226 (2)

IMG_4240 (2)

IMG_4227 (2)

IMG_4229 (2)

IMG_4241 (2)

IMG_4228 (2)

IMG_4222 (2)

IMG_4232 (2)

IMG_4238 (2)

http://warbirdsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/image003-13.jpg 

352d_tactical_fighter_squadron_-_f-100_s 

• Like 50

Your F-100 looks super nice. Really like the cockpit and the map in the pilot's hand is a nice touch. Windscreen and canopy super clean and your masking on them was very effective. Paint work is quite good. You have a model you can definitely be proud of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, albymoore said:

I can hear CCR's "Fortunate Son" playing in the background. 😁

Nice looking build.👍

Cheers,

Albert 

Albert i I was thinking maybe Suzi Q is playing in his cockpit?, maybe the version by Flash Cadillac as used in the film Apocalypse Now! 😂 Though I do love the original version too by Credence Clearwater Revival. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Albert i I was thinking maybe Suzi Q is playing in his cockpit?, maybe the version by Flash Cadillac as used in the film Apocalypse Now! 😂 Though I do love the original version too by Credence Clearwater Revival. 

I believe a Sony reel to reel in the pilot's hootch playing Steppenwolf. 

52 minutes ago, CMSCHLOM said:

I believe a Sony reel to reel in the pilot's hootch playing Steppenwolf. 

Yeah! Born to be wild !  " This is BigDuke6.. I want that tree line burnt off!, blow'em in to the Stone Age son!" 

Its a fab model ! Thanks for sharing this! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

CMSHOLM... may I ask which specific colours you used ?  Your build has inspired me to perhaps do a Tamiya SkyRaider in SEAC. I think it looks pretty accurate!

also

How did you make the pilots map?

Thanks 

Andy

I used Testors Model Master Tan and Medium Green, and Tamiya Acrylic Dark Green.   It looks too bright at first, but I used Testors Dull Coat and weathering tones it down to the right color.  These aircraft were painted in the field starting in 1965, switching to SEA Tactical Paint Scheme.  The maps came from the old Tamiya 1/35 US Command Figure set.  There on the lip of the side opening lid.  I just use my printer and print them out.  Paper is about scale thickness.

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Booty003 said:

Fantastic looking Hun, one of my favourite jets.  I bet that is a good size as well - do you keep it on display?

Just in my display case at home.  No contests unfortunately.  But it is a real nice size, although the Trumpeter F-105 is huge!  As is the Trumpeter A-6A and A-6E.  Wish they would make a 1/32 EA-6B

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, CMSCHLOM said:

I used Testors Model Master Tan and Medium Green, and Tamiya Acrylic Dark Green.   It looks too bright at first, but I used Testors Dull Coat and weathering tones it down to the right color.  These aircraft were painted in the field starting in 1965, switching to SEA Tactical Paint Scheme.  The maps came from the old Tamiya 1/35 US Command Figure set.  There on the lip of the side opening lid.  I just use my printer and print them out.  Paper is about scale thickness.

Great Thank you for your reply. I've not used any Testors acrylics before so will follow this up. 

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Great Thank you for your reply. I've not used any Testors acrylics before so will follow this up. 

Cheers,

Andy

The Model Master Paints were enamel, the Tamiya Dark green was acrylic.  No problems using the two together, enamel and acrylic, just make sure they are completely dry. 

On 1/9/2021 at 7:02 PM, CMSCHLOM said:

Here is another COVID build which occupied me for about 5 months.  This is my first try using the SEA Tactical Paint Scheme.  The plane was mainly built OOB with the addition of the pilot figure.  Borrowed some bombs from another Trumpeter kit.  I have to say Trumpeter makes some really great 1/32 scale jet models.  Not exactly Tamiya, but easy enough to build with straightforward instructions and very good decals.  With a little effort, you can make some really nice models.  A word of caution!  If you see a Trumpeter kit you really like, GET IT!  They disappear pretty quickly and can take some research to find them.

The F-100 has the distinction of flying more missions than any other USAF aircraft during the Vietnam War.

Hope you enjoy! 

image003-13

On 1/9/2021 at 7:02 PM, CMSCHLOM said:

IMG_4221 (2)

IMG_4224 (2)

IMG_4230 (2)

IMG_4239 (2)

IMG_4225 (2)

IMG_4233 (2)

IMG_4226 (2)

IMG_4240 (2)

IMG_4227 (2)

IMG_4229 (2)

IMG_4241 (2)

IMG_4228 (2)

IMG_4222 (2)

IMG_4232 (2)

IMG_4238 (2)

352d_tactical_fighter_squadron_-_f-100_s 

• Like 2

I was always very impressed with this kit, I built one very soon after they were first released. I can tell you've done a fantastic job with the building, and the paintwork is very clean.

Well done!

• Thanks 1

Very nice Hun, and as the others have said, the map really adds to the effect! As you stated, the F-100 was a real workhorse in SEA, and not surprisingly, had a high  loss rate, but they were usually down in the weeds and the VC  gunners were as deadly as the German flak crews in WW2. Well done!

Mike

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

That is a beautiful scale model and some excellent work!  :clap2: Very impressive in every aspect.   But, I must say it's the only model Hun I've seen with no paint damage around the engine area.   She must be brand spankin' new!  😃

Just came out of the paint tent at Tuy Hoa Air Base!

• Like 1