E-type Jaguar 1962 le Mans

I've been having some fun with Heller's cars over on the Heller Classic Group Build, and part of the project is the racing E-type. 

Based on the kit of the standard production car, Heller has taken a few shortcuts that I thought would benefit from some additional work. 

I made a roll cage, and a fuel tank in the boot. The tyres supplied are hardly competition grade and still had "Citroën 15" stamped on the rubber sprue. They were widened to 8 and 10mm and wheels were sleeved to suit. 

Converted to right-hand drive and fitted with sliding side windows, and the rear wheel arches raised and flared a little. 

Some work done under the bonnet without going overboard.... I fitted the SU carbs as supplied rather than trying for the Lucas fuel injection system. 

And I tried to keep her down a little on the suspension, looking race ready. 

A good old kit, basically sound and plenty of scope for some extra mods. 

IMG_20201129_233910

IMG_20201202_224758 IMG_20201204_224049

IMG_20201205_231726

IMG_20201205_234303

IMG_20201206_204200

IMG_20201206_204345

Some interesting comparisons being posted between this older Heller product and the new Revell kit. This is a pretty good shape for the E-type in general, and the '62 Cuningham team Racing car is there in the box with a bit of extra help. 

😎

• Like 16

Excellent build, looks every bit the well raced warrior! Lovely job!

I've been considering doing the same build, and one thing I can't find out 100% is if these cars actually had roll cages in period, I admit I haven't done a lot of searching but I haven't found a period pic to confirm one way or another - do you know of any? Pics of modern race Jags aren't really much help.

Whatever, that's a cracking model racing car! 👍

Keith

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

one thing I can't find out 100% is if these cars actually had roll cages in period,

I couldn't say for sure, Keith. I found a couple of good walkarounds and some period photos, and stuck with those. 

This is one major source of reference.... 

https://revsinstitute.org/the-collection/1962-jaguar-e-type/

It was a time of transition to some safety measures...... I wasn't sure about an appropriate seat belt arrangement. I settled for lap belts. 

There's the whole "Running across the Grid " type of start which would be silly for a full harness. 

• Like 2

The black and white pic that states Le Mans 1962 certainly shows at least a rear cage Rob, so I'd say that's pretty conclusive!  Looking also at the pics in the first link, I don't think the cage in that car would pass scrutineering today, so I'd hazard a guess that one may well be original too, but it may be the strut brace/harness bar in the back may be a modern addition.

Just need to get a Heller e-type now and see if I can build it somewhere near as nice as yours :)

Keith

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/01/2021 at 00:39, rob Lyttle said:

I've been having some fun with Heller's cars over on the Heller Classic Group Build, and part of the project is the racing E-type. 

Based on the kit of the standard production car, Heller has taken a few shortcuts that I thought would benefit from some additional work. 

I made a roll cage, and a fuel tank in the boot. The tyres supplied are hardly competition grade and still had "Citroën 15" stamped on the rubber sprue. They were widened to 8 and 10mm and wheels were sleeved to suit. 

Converted to right-hand drive and fitted with sliding side windows, and the rear wheel arches raised and flared a little. 

Some work done under the bonnet without going overboard.... I fitted the SU carbs as supplied rather than trying for the Lucas fuel injection system. 

And I tried to keep her down a little on the suspension, looking race ready. 

A good old kit, basically sound and plenty of scope for some extra mods. 

IMG_20201129_233910

IMG_20201202_224758 IMG_20201204_224049

IMG_20201205_231726

IMG_20201205_234303

IMG_20201206_204200

IMG_20201206_204345

Some interesting comparisons being posted between this older Heller product and the new Revell kit. This is a pretty good shape for the E-type in general, and the '62 Cuningham team Racing car is there in the box with a bit of extra help. 

😎

Hi. Great build. How did you widen the tyres and wheels? Thanks

• Thanks 1

@DreamGarage this is the post from the WIP where I tried to explain the process.

At one point I thought the material wasn't adhering very well, but I hadn't left it long enough to cure, or dry. 

By all means have a read through, as the process developed as I went along! 

I made Ali foil sleeves for the rear wheels but I found the front kit wheels were able to cope with the less-widened front tyres. 👍

17 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

@DreamGarage this is the post from the WIP where I tried to explain the process.

At one point I thought the material wasn't adhering very well, but I hadn't left it long enough to cure, or dry. 

By all means have a read through, as the process developed as I went along! 

I made Ali foil sleeves for the rear wheels but I found the front kit wheels were able to cope with the less-widened front tyres. 👍

thank you. appreciate it